Solo Queue Blues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nylian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
I find that champs who fill multiple crucial roles are the best picks. Pushing, tower destruction, initiating, tanking, crowd control, carrying, and 2v1 laning are all really important, and solo queue players often fail to get several of them, making it difficult to assemble a complete team in the timeframe you have.

I like champs who can fill most of these roles as needed. Gragas and Nasus come to mind, and Cho does quite a few of them well, too. IMHO, pushing is really important and overlooked particularly often.
Great point, I think this was the issue I was having when playing only Vlad. I feel I play him well, but only fills 1 non-crucial role.

Mystfyre

08-19-2010

My problem with tanking in solo queue is that you have to depend on your team to follow up. You can disable and tank all day but if your carries aren't on the same wavelength it gets frustrating. Thats why I tend to play Singed. He can "carry" a team while performing a tank role and you don't need anyone to help you push. I think any offtank DPS champion would be a good choice.

Specifically, champions that can do well despite a lackluster team? Anivia comes to mind. Heimerdinger can also do some work. Shaco can definitely get the ball rolling, especially if he's jungling and ganking early. Kayle. I think Sivir would also be great, she completely wrecks towers and shines in team fights.

I'm assuming, for the above champions, that you are good at playing them.

Leirkov

08-19-2010

Surprised at the lack of Ezreal in this thread. If you're good with Ezreal and grab the solo lane you can easily outzone your opponents and farm easy. This leads to getting fed fast and pretty much you taking the entire team on by yourself.

TatsuyaSuou

08-19-2010

I'm with Leirkov on this one. Ezreal has the #1 carry status for a reason. I don't think any champion in the game snowballs quite the way Ezreal does but you have to be good with him and have plenty of map awareness.

Ezreal is also super fragile so attempting to be John Rambo is usually not a good decision either. Look for opportunities in team fights to just soften people up from a distance and try to get stacked early game, either by farming or killing multiple people. If you kill the other team's solo a couple of times and get in a successful gank or two, the game is going to get out of control in a big hurry. I remember a game where I killed the Ashe I was soloing mid against three time and managed to snipe both the enemy champions bottom at the same time with trueshot barrage not once but twice in the same game. Let's just say I went something like 25 and 1 and we easily beat down the opposing team in spite of what was essentially bad champion matchups for us down the stretch.

Zeratav

08-19-2010

I'm surprised by the lack of mordekaiser mentioned so far. He can wreck 1 v 2, solo, and can push like a beast. Although he can't carry a team on his own, he can certainly make a difference.

Leirkov

08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeratav View Post
I'm surprised by the lack of mordekaiser mentioned so far. He can wreck 1 v 2, solo, and can push like a beast. Although he can't carry a team on his own, he can certainly make a difference.
AP Morde carries in low ELO. I did it a lot. LOL.

Bonegnasher

08-19-2010

Even after all the nerfs, Kayle is currently one of the best solo queue champions in the game. She can carry without much dependence on the team while providing solid support.

CornWaffle

08-22-2010

Ezreal and Heimer, at least before the coming nerfs. One's a super carry, the other can guarantee that tower kill in mid.