Solo Queue Blues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nylian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2010

Looking to compile a list of some of the best champs for solo queue, I would like your opinions and perspectives on which champs you think are best for solo queues. Looking for the champs that make or break the game for one side or the other.

I have lately been running with pure AP Vlad to some success, but he just doesn't seem to have that late game "umph" to bring it all home.

I was thinking maybe getting farmed up with Yi and BD pushing.

What do you guys think?

So far we have:

Annie
Singed
Katarina
Heimer
Amumu

biomorph

08-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylian View Post
Looking to compile a list of some of the best champs for solo queue, I would like your opinions and perspectives on which champs you think are best for solo queues. Looking for the champs that make or break the game for one side or the other.

I have lately been running with pure AP Vlad to some success, but he just doesn't seem to have that late game "umph" to bring it all home.

I was thinking maybe getting farmed up with Yi and BD pushing.

What do you guys think?
There is no such thing as best champs for solo queue as it depends so much on what your opponents and allies choose. There are good choices and bad choices. where some might argue that a annie is always a good choice it is not always so if your opponents are all heavy pushers with a support class and you have nothing but squishy allies who get trampled. Tibbers is not likely to save the day.
Learn a few champs and then choose wisely based on your allies and not least your opponent choices.

Nylian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2010

Hey I think you make a good point, however there are certainly some champs that are, in my opinion, terrible choices.

Soraka for example is 100% dependent on your team, whereas Ashe may be able to carry the team and is still viable independently.

Alex is White

08-17-2010

Singed. If you do the fear factor right, you'll be more valuable than any carry (Other than that fully fed kat)

Jae Won Lee

08-17-2010

everyone is a great mid but i think ranged champs r better mid

Nylian

08-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampblood87 View Post
everyone is a great mid but i think ranged champs r better mid
I think I agree with this non-specific logic. Not exactly helpful or elaborate however!

Adorno

08-17-2010

I find that champs who fill multiple crucial roles are the best picks. Pushing, tower destruction, initiating, tanking, crowd control, carrying, and 2v1 laning are all really important, and solo queue players often fail to get several of them, making it difficult to assemble a complete team in the timeframe you have.

I like champs who can fill most of these roles as needed. Gragas and Nasus come to mind, and Cho does quite a few of them well, too. IMHO, pushing is really important and overlooked particularly often.

darkdeal

08-17-2010

Heimer seems good as he doesn't try to rely on what your team is doing. I find that if you try to play a character that needs a competent team, you are just going to be let down. Tanks in general seem hard to play in solo queue even. I have had several occasions playing Rammus in solo where I would initiate and pull out all the opponents cooldowns only to have my 4 teammates run away and just let me die.

Dwarfling

08-17-2010

Amumu's always a great choice. So is Heimer.

PerAnon

08-17-2010

You really should have a stable of characters ready to play:

Tank
Carry
Mage
Push - capable
Mid - capable
1v2 - capable

Those should be the bare minimum of roles you are able to cover. Support and Jungling are great roles to be able to fill too, but less necessary, and as mentioned above, heavy support can be frustrating to play in a bad team.

The problem with playing "the game changing champ" is that this will often be a carry or other mid-type character. Borrowing from Rousseau a little here, we can see that planning to play that character every time for solo queue is wrong, as if everyone had the same plan, you'd end up with a team of carries and get wrecked.

Just make sure you have several options to fill a variety of roles so that you can play a guy with magic damage when your whole team is physical dps, or hold a 1v2 without being rolled when you have a jungler.