Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Solution to AFKs at champion selection

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyu Ryu

05-13-2012

Kyu Ryu

05-21-2012

thoughts?

Ssenkrad II

05-22-2012

I agree that there needs to be changes done to the matchmaking before the game starts... If the IN game wasn't so amazing, I would think that most people would have given up on LoL by now...

As you can see on the left, I'm a junior member which means i haven't been around reading what people have been saying for years. With that in mind I still wont apologize if i am repeating ideas that have been said before- because if they keep getting repeated they must be right.

After looking around i see that i am not the only person who agrees that adding a search before the game even starts that instead of just looking for a game, looking for a position. ie. solo top, jungle, mid, etc... This would cut down on the number of dodges, afk's and drop's early on as we all know that the pregame lobby becomes the place of much debate...

Love your idea about an afk in pregame select kills the game before it starts and the four others can go right back into looking. I think it would work.

The last thing i would suggest is that if someone is afk IN the game for more than 10 minutes that the game is ended automatically and both team are awarded a draw and the afk in question is automatically reported into system. This would prevent having to wait till 20 to have to surrender and a loss because of it. Let's say someone is in pregame, so he wouldnt get kicked there, but then 1 minute in he dc'd and doesnt return (or locks in but never actually gets into the game). This wouldnt be that big of deal to wait 10 minutes since you have to wait 5 to join another game if you dodge as it is...

SuNss

05-23-2012

Totally my thoughts!

Why would you implement randomize lock in when you pick nothing when there's already a randomize button?

Furthemore, why would you force people who are not afk to leave the queue so you don't have a randomized player who is obviously afk to leave. Throw the afk one out of the queue and give him time penalty so he doesn't get too fast back in the queue.

xBrownxBaronx

05-23-2012

Quote:
Kyu Ryu:
When the timer times out and someone still hasn't locked in their champion. Instead of auto picking for them, simply through them out of the que and put the other nine people back in que. This way people aren't forced to constantly drop que to avoid the AFK until someone is unlucky enough to not realized they need to drop que as well. What is even worse is the people forced to disconnect by the AFK have a time penalty placed on them for starting a game. Doing this would drastically reduce the number of games that get cancelled at champion selection as well as reduce AFKs in games that do start.

i like it, add **** somewhere in there and you have an excellent plan

DebosBike

05-24-2012

This is a very good idea

There is already a random button that can choose your champ for you, and that should be used rather then a last second random that potentially screws over a team's composition.

And as far as I know, going random is the only legit reason people don't pick at the champ select screen.

GoodMorningSlam

05-24-2012

Quote:
Kyu Ryu:
When the timer times out and someone still hasn't locked in their champion. Instead of auto picking for them, simply through them out of the que and put the other nine people back in que. This way people aren't forced to constantly drop que to avoid the AFK until someone is unlucky enough to not realized they need to drop que as well. What is even worse is the people forced to disconnect by the AFK have a time penalty placed on them for starting a game. Doing this would drastically reduce the number of games that get cancelled at champion selection as well as reduce AFKs in games that do start.

I concur.

Morishmael

05-26-2012

I don't think dropping the afk out of queue is a strong enough action. I feel that if you haven't chosen a champ by the time the timer runs out, you should be kicked out of queue and treated as if you had dodged. That way if a person does it habitually, they are going to be auto banned by the system without a Riot employee having to take direct action.
AFK's ruin the game. I actually, while reading this topic, was talking to a friend over teamspeak who is in a match and he had an afk on his team who got randomed and then, when he got *****ed at, tried to use the excuse that he was cooking. Well why the hell would you be cooking while queueing up? That's your own fault, and you should be punished for it. The excuse that you were doing something else is no more valid than getting in a car accident and saying "Well, I dropped my phone on the floor and had to pick it up, how is it my fault that I couldn't see the road for a couple seconds?"

EDIT:Also, treating it as a dodge would prevent abuse of the system as a way for people to dodge without penalty.

Gibbs

05-27-2012

Agreed

DebosBike

05-27-2012

This problem is being caused by people dodging queve. People lock in a champion and then leave waiting for the game to start. If someone dodges then they usually end up afk in matchmaking and get back in time to see the loading screen.