Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why KSing is not a problem and why that's a good thing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guppers

05-12-2012

"i've got 99 problems, but a KS aint one"

ok this one isn't really as straight forward as my elo hell post, but there is enough confusion around this topic that I think some clarification is in order.

Misconception about KS: Player X and player Y are involved in killing a champion. Player X feels entitled to the kill because of reason Z. Player Y receives the kill, player X calls "KS"

possible reasons Z: engaged the fight, did more dmg, is the ap carry, is the ad carry, is the jungler

Actual definition of KS: I suppose if player Y actively doesn't participate in a battle where they easily could have, and then fires a final kill shot when no ally is in danger of dying, you could call that a KS... but as I will point out later, still not a big deal.

why do we care about kills: Kills are important but why? Nowhere in the winning conditions for a game of LoL does it say you have to kill a single person and you don't. A game could theoretically be won with zero kills, you only need to destroy the nexus to win. To destroy the nexus you have to destroy 1 lanes worth of turrets, that's it.

YES IN AN IDEAL SITUATION the support would feed all kills and creepscore to the ad carry, the jungler would let the AP carry get last hit on any ganks. If that doesn't happen the team is playing sub-optimally BUT!

PICK YOUR BATTLES I mean this literally but mostly figuratively. All other things being equal, if your only problem is that your team got gold but it wasn't you, then that's a pretty good problem to have.

I tell my team I expect them to "ks" me. If a single enemy gets away cause someone didn't go 100% for fear of taking "my kill" then we've done something wrong

but gupeprs I'm ad carry vayne and my support took my cs and kills and now I can't be an effective carry!
Well, welcome to your new life as support vayne. Let's say you lost a ridiculous 7 kills to your support and now he has gold and items coming out the yin yang. Let's just go ahead an consider that person the carry now. Is it ideal? No. Is it the least of your worries? yes.

in conclusion if you're the person who calls out KS and really means it then you are already in the wrong mind frame to win. You are clearly devoting a portion of your brain power to how many kills you have and probably to how you can be doing more to making sure you get the last hit.

WHY THIS IS GOOD this is the part where we turn our disadvantage into an advantage. Now that we are enlightened to the fact that personal kills are unimportant we still have to realize that not everyone is. Let's assume that all 4 other members will do anything to get the last hit... assist them. Don't try to compete with them to get the kill and miss it altogether, if you have skills that assist other players by speeding them up or shielding them or w/e then use those to help them instead. (exceptions to this would be for example lux having the only spell with long enough range to kill the person or something)

I hope this has been helpful in how you think about your game strategies

TeknoWizard

05-12-2012

I don't care about people taking kills. I'm just as happy with an assist as I am with a kill. However, I will get annoyed at junglers/supports taking farm.

KobuZero

05-12-2012

I actually do this when I'm not doing well as a carry. If my support is doing better than me or we have one guy who is doing great. I do everything in my power to help feed them the kills. I have never cared about ksing, unless I am the support. Even then sometimes I have accidentally stolen kills with Sona's Q. I always appologize as well, but I'd honestly rather a dead enemy no matter who killed them.

Cheap0

05-12-2012

This doesn't mention how assists work and how gold is earned from assists, which is very relevant when it comes to discussing ks. I'm copying the below quoted from here, an article on SK gaming's website (http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/36929-Playing_to_Win_1_Secrets_to_get_to_2000_elo). Basically, it's far better to have an ally ks and you get an assist than it is for you alone to get the kill, because that results in far more gold for your team.

The killer always receives full gold bounty. Additionally, if one or more champions score an assist, a pot is made with gold equal to 58.33% of the kill bounty. If the victim was on a killing spree, 70% of the bonus gold (i.e. any value above 300) will also go into the assist pot. This pot is evenly distributed among all participants.

For example, let’s imagine Leblanc laning versus Cassiopeia mid.
Leblanc is godlike (worth 500g), and Cassiopeia calls upon Rammus for help. Rammus and Cassiopeia slam-dunk Leblanc using puncturing taunt and petrifying gaze, and score the kill. Cassiopeia is the killer, and receives full kill bounty for 500g. Rammus got the assist, and will gain 58.33% of the standard 300 gold (175 gold), plus 70% of the 200 bonus gold (140 gold), for a total of 315 gold.

This clearly underlines how powerful assists are in League of Legends.

A different example further elaborates this point.

Blue team is laning Tristana and Sona bottom lane. Purple team is laning Sivir and Taric there. The game is uneventful until minute three, when Taric leaves the bottom lane to ward. Tristana and Sona immediately engage on Sivir. However, Sivir micros very well and gets the first blood on Sona for 400 gold.
Tristana then finishes off Sivir and gains 330 gold for killing her. Sona gets the assist and receives 58.33% of the 300 gold bounty (175 gold), plus 70% of the 30 bonus gold (21 gold), for a total of 196 gold. At this point Sivir is feeling pretty good about scoring first blood in a two versus one situation, but she doesn’t realize that the blue team gained a total of 496 gold, besting her first blood bounty by 96 gold.

Mister Simple

05-12-2012

Code of Tactic:
1) Don't take someones kills if they have it under control, they earned it.
2) Sometimes it is better to have one person fed because when my support/tank gets fed, I can't do damage. (Assassin)
3) If I'm fed enough, I can kill 3 people by myself AKA substituting for my team.
4) Killing them plenty is enough to hinder them for the early game giving my team a chance to kill also.
5) Look at rule 1.

Guppers

05-12-2012

Quote:
Resolvo:
This doesn't mention how assists work and how gold is earned from assists, which is very relevant when it comes to discussing ks. I'm copying the below quoted from here, an article on SK gaming's website (http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/36929-Playing_to_Win_1_Secrets_to_get_to_2000_elo). Basically, it's far better to have an ally ks and you get an assist than it is for you alone to get the kill, because that results in far more gold for your team.

The killer always receives full gold bounty. Additionally, if one or more champions score an assist, a pot is made with gold equal to 58.33% of the kill bounty. If the victim was on a killing spree, 70% of the bonus gold (i.e. any value above 300) will also go into the assist pot. This pot is evenly distributed among all participants.

For example, let’s imagine Leblanc laning versus Cassiopeia mid.
Leblanc is godlike (worth 500g), and Cassiopeia calls upon Rammus for help. Rammus and Cassiopeia slam-dunk Leblanc using puncturing taunt and petrifying gaze, and score the kill. Cassiopeia is the killer, and receives full kill bounty for 500g. Rammus got the assist, and will gain 58.33% of the standard 300 gold (175 gold), plus 70% of the 200 bonus gold (140 gold), for a total of 315 gold.

This clearly underlines how powerful assists are in League of Legends.

A different example further elaborates this point.

Blue team is laning Tristana and Sona bottom lane. Purple team is laning Sivir and Taric there. The game is uneventful until minute three, when Taric leaves the bottom lane to ward. Tristana and Sona immediately engage on Sivir. However, Sivir micros very well and gets the first blood on Sona for 400 gold.
Tristana then finishes off Sivir and gains 330 gold for killing her. Sona gets the assist and receives 58.33% of the 300 gold bounty (175 gold), plus 70% of the 30 bonus gold (21 gold), for a total of 196 gold. At this point Sivir is feeling pretty good about scoring first blood in a two versus one situation, but she doesn’t realize that the blue team gained a total of 496 gold, besting her first blood bounty by 96 gold.

excellent point, in a situation where someone is running to help and arrives only for the last hit, they should take it as it will give more team gold (for 1 assist and 1 kills). Whereas if they had left it they'd have only received gold for 1 kill. Little things like this matter during close games.

Tyr Ahn Nee

05-12-2012

Obviously, for you guys, the game is more important than the human-being playing the game. Sterilizing the game of all human components, monetizing it, reducing it to a set of numbers, you've rationalized "kill stealing."

But what about the Human being? Working hard toward a goal only to have that goal snatched away by a player who is cowardly, greedy and selfish??? What about the Human-being who values fair-play, fair competition, forced to sit by and watch as all the rewards go to the cowardly, greedy and selfish???

What about the Human Being who has spent hours and hours practicing, struggling to become skillful at a champ or just the game, and just as the fruit of his labor is about to be realized, some player who hid in the bush, didn't participate in the fight, leaps out, pops the enemy one time and gets the kill???

Calling a Kill-Steal isn't about money or numbers, its about a host of other human qualities, values and ideas that make games games in the first place.

CHICKENpl0x

05-12-2012

KS = Kill Secured

Dr McRaptor

05-12-2012

No offense dude, but you could have said that in far fewer words.,,

Dr McRaptor

05-12-2012

No offense dude, but you could have said that in far fewer words...