how do you build katarina?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rachael Passive

05-10-2012

I'm trying to play her (my 3rd attempt lol) and I was wonder what is a good build for her? Mostly I have seen gunblade, rylais, and a deathcap but I was wondering if that is up to date or if anyone else had any advice, thanks =D

Testicle Ketchup

05-10-2012

I consistently play Katarina. I start out with amplifying tome. I only recall once I can get my Revolver and a pair of boots (unless I die, of course). I move on with sorcerer's shoes and whatever piece of Bilgewater Cutlass I can afford. After my Gunblade is complete, I move onto Rylai's and Rabadon's. After this, I get a Banshee's Veil and whatever final item I need; usually a Void Staff.

Ebonclaw

05-10-2012

Boots+pots is infinitely better for Kat than Amp+pot start.

Gunblade is terribly overrated on her, it's probably best just to stick with just the Revolver for most of the game.

Revolver + Rylai's is your go-to start. From there you go to a Deathcap if you are tearing it up, but if you're struggling Abyssal is your primary MR option, and you can either get an Hourglass, or just grab a Warden's Mail or Thornmail if you need Armor.

Mestaaja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2012

TiensiNoAkuma. Look it up.
Whatever you do, don't get a rylais.

Duhizy

05-11-2012

^tiensinoakuma has the best build by far: sorc boots, gunblade,deathcap,voidstaff/AB scepter/hourglass

Noxian Mercenary

05-11-2012

My build is similar.

I prefer sustain in the beginning of the game, and power later in the game. Her Bouncing Blades offers great opportunities for spellvamp to give you plenty of health, and you need to win the harass game as Kat to secure a kill.

My start: Bootsx3
Mobility is very important for Kat. Nothing says "can't catch me" better than throwing a blade at a minion near the enemy champion, and running away before he/she can pursue. 3health potions help immensely with sustain, as Kat has an absolutely terrible Pre-5 game.

My first trip back: Hex Revolver (or 1-2 amps if you can't afford it), 1-2 health pots, wards, boots2 if possible.
Sustain is immense here. With your bouncing blades hitting 5 minions + a champion, you're generating quite a bit of health. Health potions help keep your health in tip-top shape, wards obviously for the bushes, and Sorocerer's shoes for the Magic Penetration.

And here's where my build gets different for some people.

I prefer to grab a WoTA rather than a Revolver. It is cheaper, and it offers good sustain, fast. Not only that, it DOES help your team.

Next I rush Rabadon's, provided I have a kill or two. Kat is a great snowballer, and nothing helps her faster than doubling her current AP (which, by this point, is what Rabadon's usually does for me).
You have to remember, Kat relies heavile on kills. Her passsive makes her a killing machine, and you can bolster that with Rabadon's.

From there, either Abyssal for an AP team, or a Zhonyas for an AD team. Both provide great boosts, with the abyssal being a tad better imho because of the team-oriented aura. From there on out, void staff if they're stacking a lot of mRes, or Guardian Angel for that bit of extra defense.

BadNewsBobby

05-11-2012

All of these guys have valid builds but i would also add, max the blade thing first (can't remember name :P) do NOT max shunpo first. Make it second. This helps you farm and does most damage with gunblade.

OriginalJack

05-11-2012

I pretty much do what shadowwolf does but I will usually only get a wota when there is another AP that can take advantage of it like mord or vlad or fiddle or something. I used to always get the wota but lately I've found that I like the gunblade much better. Yes, the wota is cheaper but the gunblade actually gives you better stats plus the activated ability isn't bad either.

Foot Sinatra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2012

Yeah I go boots and 3 pots to start. Then build revolver and sorc boots. After finishing up gunblade i go for rabadons then abyssal. I find that Ryalia's is not really worth the price. Because you should be doing the majority of the killing. The Ryalia's will give you more asissts. final build looks like Sorc boots, gunblade, abyssal, void staff, Guardian angel or zhonyas

Amoc

05-11-2012

Draftpick has got it bang on.

You pretty much HAVE to start boots + 3 pots with Kat because there are very few champions who won't be able to harrass her early game, especially since she has to melee last hit and her biggest nuke puts her right beside the enemy champ.

From there you have to do everything you can do stay in lane and complete hextech revolver. If you're getting harrassed too hard, and need to go back before, make sure to come back with more health pots.

Finish hextech revolver
Sorceror's Boots
Finish Gunblade

Gunblade is the absolute best item in the game for Kat. It gives her huge damage stats on her Q and R, and the extra attack damage and lifesteal are great for farming minions in the early/mid game. The active is AWESOME for her as well. It's great for finishing off enemies, chasing them down with the slow, or escaping them. If you remember to use the active it's just golden.

Don't build WoTA on Kat. Just don't. If for whatever reason you have a lot of AP on your team, then maybe, but you're still better off letting one of them build it instead. Kat doesn't need any more sustain after Gunblade.

Build is:
Boots + 3
Revolver
Sorc Boots
Gunblade
Rabadon
and then in no particular order swappable:
Zhonya's
Abyssal
Void Staff
GA
Banshee's