Karma help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unerseer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-10-2012

I've been playing Karma for a while now, and am able to do fairly well in the sense that I get a few kills, and a huge number of assists. The one issue I come up with is what to grab right off the bat, and what to build it into.

I read that Faerie charm is a great item for a support, because it allows them to get some much needed mana regen, as well as enough gold left to buy a handful of wards.

I tried that just recently, and found myself at a loss for what to build it into. I ended up deciding to turn it into a Soul Shroud, since my team has heroes who could move very fast. Was that a smart decision, or should I have gone with Shurelia's?

As for every support, I do work on a WotA, starting with a Revolver. I then either build an abyssal scepter, Morello's, or Deathfire.

Abyssal for the aura, Morello for the CDR and it's active, and Deathfire for the active.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this in, so we'll see. Thanks for reading.

Zeus Chiu

05-10-2012

Karma is extremely powerful with her kit in more roles than just support. CDR is very important on her because it effects her mantra as well....

Personally i play karma as a top solo (1700-1800 Elo) and she works out pretty strong with an early glacial into frozen heart against an AD top lane.

As a support, try to get the fiendish codex quicker after your Gp5, then move onto some auras. Aegis/Frozen heart are best in her situation, plus max your CDR. If your AD carry neglects lifesteal, zekes it up. Shurelias is also ALWAYS a good move, but make sure you know you lose your Gp5 component as soon as you upgrade it so dont get it too early.

Unerseer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-10-2012

Groovy. I'll try that out. I'm not too comfortable with a solo top Karma...yet. Though I do know how powerful Karma's spells are, considering I've had to hold lane as support Karma before.

Would you suggest grabbing a Meki Pendant right off the bat, or go with the Faerie Charm, and working it towards Shurelias?

Lord Sunday IV

05-10-2012

With support Karma, you don't want to go traditional support. Her supporting becomes amazing with AP, so you want to get that.

I tend to start Amplifying Tome and a ward. I upgrade to Kages and let that tick. Then I build a WotA and start on Abyssal Scepter. However, it depends a lot on the enemy team.

I know people say you need to get max CDR, but between masteries and my rune setup I find Ionian Boots is enough for me. Eveuntually, I get DFG, but not until lategame.

Mit213

05-10-2012

For the Soul Shroud part of your post, I guess that works if you don't need the chase/gap closing potential that Shurelia's gives. Also, I guess it isn't as big of a deal on Karma to get a Reverie because you have your tether that you can always use to give your CC'er the boost to catch up to the enemy anyways.

When you're supporting as Karma you're going to still want to get the gp5 items, and you can even get 3 of them on her. After that though, you're going to want to build AP. As Karma, you can build an early WotA and such and be really useful to your mid (and maybe even your carry or tank). But basically on Karma you want your shield and such to really be useful in fights as to be a saver or to bait the enemy. You can make it so you're pretty strong, but actually support your middle's damage by going WotA and Abyssal like you said you have.
Nothing in your post really seems wrong because different situations arise and call for different things. As a support I would stick with the Faerie Charm, but as a solo lane I would actually prefer to use a Meki Pendant or Doran's Ring early on myself.

As for what Zeus said, I am going to agree that an early Glacial is going to benefit you a lot up top, but FH as a mage (instead of support or tank) is going to gimp your damage really badly if you get it too early (like early as in before a good amount of AP). I wish I knew who his main was so I could see some of his builds and such as Karma (pretty sure he isnt talking about that account because he has 0 ranked games played and is 127-120 at the moment in normals).

Unerseer

05-16-2012

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

I'm looking forward to playing Karma some more now, so I can try out some different builds.

When I first began playing her, I found myself building extremely high AP, and could eventually Carry just as well as our solo-mid. But I also found myself feeling a little guilty by playing a support the same way I'd play a carry. Though after reflecting on it, I'm pretty sure that, even though I was building flat AP and a small bit of CDR, that I was still able to do my job.

Aikimiller

05-16-2012

Karma NEEDS AP hardcore in order to be effective- and it's this reason that she's considered one of the weakest supports. Without farm, you're hard pressed to get the AP required for her skills to be effective.

One thing of note is that karma is a pretty bad support for a long range AD carry- all her skills are optimally used when your ally is in melee range with the enemy (and the leash helps your ally get into melee), and so she's really, from a design perspective, better at supporting a melee AD, than a ranged AD. Sadly, her heal isn't strong enough to deal with the harass you'll be getting if you try to lane like his, but during teamfights- considder this when choosing targets for your skills.

Kirielis

05-16-2012

Karma can be really good in a kill lane.

Insípid

05-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdSunday View Post
With support Karma, you don't want to go traditional support. Her supporting becomes amazing with AP, so you want to get that.

I tend to start Amplifying Tome and a ward. I upgrade to Kages and let that tick. Then I build a WotA and start on Abyssal Scepter. However, it depends a lot on the enemy team.

I know people say you need to get max CDR, but between masteries and my rune setup I find Ionian Boots is enough for me. Eveuntually, I get DFG, but not until lategame.
Why the downvotes? Karma going from support to AP carry is OP. Karma does more burst damage on a shorter cooldown and less AP than the usual "Ranged,Mage". She can heal, shield, and do a movement/slow/dmg leash. Whats the problem? Her heal does massssivvveeee damage to an enemy. Come to think of it, i was trying to figure out who to buy with my 3150 IP, i think blitzcrank will have to wait ^^

acosn

05-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiredKill View Post
Why the downvotes? Karma going from support to AP carry is OP. Karma does more burst damage on a shorter cooldown and less AP than the usual "Ranged,Mage". She can heal, shield, and do a movement/slow/dmg leash. Whats the problem? Her heal does massssivvveeee damage to an enemy. Come to think of it, i was trying to figure out who to buy with my 3150 IP, i think blitzcrank will have to wait ^^
Well you're right about building her AP but your AP build is awful.

There's no point to WOTA before team fighting sets in, starting with an amp tome is just a no-go and Abyssal Scepter just isn't something you rush. Especially not on a character who's a caster, and certainly not before some survivability. Karma's like Morganna in that sense- Abyssal's great on her once you know you can take a hit.

A cookie cutter Boots > survivability (WOTA or Rylai's. Preferably Rylai's) > Rabb's (amended as needed) build serves her best.