Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

League on Linux HOW TO (up to date Varus patch)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elcye

05-12-2012

Quote:
soul1355:
anybody know how to fix winetricks setting up the prefix as 64-bit? it won't let me use it for the 32-bit LoL wine server... is it because I already had wine set to windows 7?
EDIT: that doesn't seem to be it...

I don't really get what you mean, can you be a bit more precise?

Quote:
FinrodUrFelagund:
Yes I do have an ATI graphics card, I suspect it's mainly that - but maybe some other poor sap with an ATI has found a fix. Here's to hoping...

EDIT: Actually that's fixed, after some considerable trouble I've updated to the latest catalyst proprietary drivers and the graphical glitches seem to have gone.

Thought so, it seems ati's support for linux is rather crappy, you should try to check on winehq or maybe use another drivers, I can't help you there.

Quote:
zaaPPY:
I download the League of legends.exe (2.2mb) and put it in the 1.5.3 directory and ran the export and ran the command but it says wine: cannot find './LeagueofLegends'

No, the exe must be in the folder you currently are. Put it your home directory (/home/<your_name&gt, go there with cd /home/<your_name>, and run /home/<your_name>/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.5.3-LeagueOfLegends/bin/wine ./LeagueofLegends.exe
That should work.

zaaPPY

05-12-2012

When i got it working it didn't do anthing after that i just got this:fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
Log file is being written to C:\users\kong\Temp\LeagueofLegends.exe.log
Exception in thread "LibgcjInternalFinalizerThread" Exception in thread "main" err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 1176 bytes in thread 0029 eip 7bc3f45f esp 00cc0e98 stack 0xcc0000-0xcc1000-0xec0000

Elcye

05-13-2012

Quote:
zaaPPY:
When i got it working it didn't do anthing after that i just got this:fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
Log file is being written to C:\users\kong\Temp\LeagueofLegends.exe.log
Exception in thread "LibgcjInternalFinalizerThread" Exception in thread "main" err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 1176 bytes in thread 0029 eip 7bc3f45f esp 00cc0e98 stack 0xcc0000-0xcc1000-0xec0000

Oh, someone else had the same problem, it seems pando has some trouble on some computers. Apparently, In his case, you have to download the full game installer here and run it the same way you tried running the one you have now:
http://www.fileplanet.com/204655/200000/fileinfo/League-of-Legends-Client-%28Free-Game%29

MageSoulKnife

05-13-2012

I am getting the same error as soul 1355

Kubuntnu 12.04 amd64 with PoL installed.

~$ /home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.5.3-LeagueOfLegends/bin/wine ./LeagueofLegends.exe
wine: '/home/soulknife/.wine' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.

Not really sure what is going wrong here. I specified to launch using the 32 bit version of wine yet it doesn't appear to be doing so.

Also thanks for writing such a great tutorial, LoL is the only reason I and a lot of Linux users seem to be keeping their Windows partition around; recently Windows decided to fail on me (specifically the League install), so I am hoping that I can get this to run under my preferred far more stable platform.

So I found a fix http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=74356

What: Error "wine is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver."

When: Occurs when there is a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit files in a wine installation

Solution: Delete and recreate the ~/.wine folder in your home directory
## you will lose all wine settings ##

~ $ rm -r .wine/
~ $ winecfg
-----------------------

New issue. So my file for launching looks like.

Quote:
#!/bin/bash

echo "Starting League of Legends"

##export WINEPREFIX=/home/soulknife/lolPrefix/
export WINEPREFIX=/home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/League_of_Legends/
export WINEDEBUG=-all

wine_path="/home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.5.3-LeagueOfLegends/bin"

cd /home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/League_of_Legends/drive_c/Riot\ Games/League\ of\ Legends/RADS/system/

$wine_path/wine "rads_user_kernel.exe" run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe

I am getting the error
Quote:
./leagueLauncher
Starting League of Legends
wine: '/home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/League_of_Legends' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.

While my original fix worked getting the installer to work (Step II B), I am still experiencing issues with the launcher (Step II B).

Any advice? I will continue to work on trying to find the solution.

Edit: Cleaned up code a lot; still getting error though.
------------------

Decided to start from begging; cleared out all cofigs, purged, and re-installed everything.

my new error now is;

Quote:
~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/League_of_Legends/drive_c/Riot Games/League of Legends/RADS/system$ ls
launcher.cfg locale.cfg lol.ico rads_user_kernel.exe system.cfg user.cfg
[email]soulknife@skynet:~/.PlayOn[/email]Linux/wineprefix/League_of_Legends/drive_c/Riot Games/League of Legends/RADS/system$ wine rads_user_kernel.exe run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe
( DEBUG)[20:18:03.207] RADS::Common::RegistryHelp::RegKeyValueString::RegKeyValueString: (Software\Riot Games\RADS, LocalRootFolder, c:\rads)
wine: Call from 0x7b839e92 to unimplemented function msvcp80.dll.??0?$basic_stringstream@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAE@H@Z, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function msvcp80.dll.??0?$basic_stringstream@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAE@H@Z called at address 0x7b839e92 (thread 0040), starting debugger...
X Error of failed request: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 54 (X_FreePixmap)
Resource id in failed request: 0x4a00044
Serial number of failed request: 343
Current serial number in output stream: 346

I've tried setting the virtual desktop to the res of my laptop (1366x768) and other default res's. I cannot figure out what would be causing this error. (note I also tried starting with the version of wine we downloaded as well in addition to just "wine" and got the same error).

Elcye

05-13-2012

I see. I think I understand where the problem come from, actually both problems.

First you confused the wineprefixes. ~/.wine is the default wineprefix. By using the export WINEPREFIX=... we tell wine to use the specified directory instead of ~/.wine, so for the fix to work, you'd have to delete /home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/League_of_Legends instead.

So you want to only use the /home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/League_of_Legends as a wineprefix, but it is forgotten as soon as you close your terminal, so you need to use the export command every time you open a new one and want to work in this (seeing your first error message, you didn't).

Second, I understand where the problem of the 64/32 bits comes from. When you use winetricks, it is using the stock version of wine (the one in /usr/bin), which is a 64 bits one, it creates a 64 bits wineprefix and screw the rest of the tutorial.

I made a quite dirty thing a while back that prevented me to notice that problem. We just have to tell winetricks to use the 32 bits version of wine instead to the 64, with the command below:
export WINE=/home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.5.3-LeagueOfLegends/bin/wine

So just erase and recreate home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/League_of_Legends and start again, but use those two commands everytime you want to do something related to LoL

export WINE=/home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.5.3-LeagueOfLegends/bin/wine
export WINEPREFIX=/home/soulknife/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/League_of_Legends/

I'll update the tutorial to make it clearer.

MageSoulKnife

05-13-2012

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Yeah, I am not very experienced with WINE yet and you cleared that up a lot.

I will follow your instructions closer this time with a fresh install of Kubuntu (need to reformat this shananagins again).

Thank you once again for this great post, once I get this working I can move a LOT of people over to Linux; you have done a great service to the Linux community, thank you.

Also; after some practice getting this to install if you do not mind, I will try making a video tutorial and upload it to youtube, and credit it to you, plus give a link back to your original post.

Elcye

05-13-2012

Quote:
MageSoulKnife:
Thank you so much for the quick reply. Yeah, I am not very experienced with WINE yet and you cleared that up a lot.

I will follow your instructions closer this time with a fresh install of Kubuntu (need to reformat this shananagins again).

Thank you once again for this great post, once I get this working I can move a LOT of people over to Linux; you have done a great service to the Linux community, thank you.

Also; after some practice getting this to install if you do not mind, I will try making a video tutorial and uploading youtube, and credit it to you and give a link back to your original post.

I updated the first post, it should be clearer now.

No problem at all if you want to make a video tutorial, just put a link back to here since it may be subject to changes if new problems arise in the next patches.

@Soul1355: I updated the tutorial. Earse your wineprefix and start the tutorial again, it will work this time.

MageSoulKnife

05-14-2012

It is working now. There are some pretty crazy graphical glitches in game though with the interface. Any idea how to fix those?

http://imgur.com/L1Vs1

Thanks once again for explaining the prefixes.

Elcye

05-14-2012

Quote:
MageSoulKnife:
It is working now. There are some pretty crazy graphical glitches in game though with the interface. Any idea how to fix those?

http://imgur.com/L1Vs1

Thanks once again for explaining the prefixes.

What is your graphic card, and drivers? It seems those glitches aren't related to wine, I have none of those with my nvidia and proprietary drivers, and didn't hear anything about this from iLoL users (who use wine on mac os), so my guess is that it's related to your graphic card and/or its drivers.

And ati cards are known to be less efficient with wine than nvidia cards are. I guess you have an ati one, right?

I don't know much about this, but you may want to try changing your graphic drivers, but be careful, you may end up making it worse.

MageSoulKnife

05-14-2012

Quote:
Elcye:
What is your graphic card, and drivers? It seems those glitches aren't related to wine, I have none of those with my nvidia and proprietary drivers, and didn't hear anything about this from iLoL users (who use wine on mac os), so my guess is that it's related to your graphic card and/or its drivers.

And ati cards are known to be less efficient with wine than nvidia cards are. I guess you have an ati one, right?

I don't know much about this, but you may want to try changing your graphic drivers, but be careful, you may end up making it worse.

Core i5 2.3 Ghz and the Intel 3000HD. I never run AMD/ATI cards as the drivers never work with WINE. I was hoping just the Intel would be better as (at the time of laptop purchase) Nvidia's GPU switching was broken.