Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


League on Linux HOW TO (up to date Varus patch)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elcye

Senior Member

05-11-2012

Quote:
zaaPPY:
Sorry for all these questions But what is a wineprefix? and When you sad <version> do you mean linux version or wine version?


No problem. The version is the wine version. It is actually the name of the folder containing it in your .PlayOnLinux/wine/<arch>/ directory.
In this case,~/.PlayonLinux/wine/<arch>/<version>/
should be ~/.PlayonLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.5.3-LeagueOfLegends (it has been updated in PoL, take that version)

A wineprefix is a directory that contains wine's virtual drive drive_c that acts as the C:\ windows drive, the registry configuration and wine's configuration.

The default is ~/.wine. The problem is that different games need different wine configurations, registry keys, dlls and windows components, so using a different wineprefix for every game instead of installing everything in the same .wine is better.

More info here http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wine_Prefixes


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elcye

Senior Member

05-11-2012

@Finrod: I don't have any of those problems, it may be related to your graphics settings. Do you have an ATI card? They are supposed to not be that well supported on linux.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zaaPPY

Member

05-11-2012

/home/<username>/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/<version>/bin/wine ./LeagueofLegends.exe After i put the export command down, and i put this command down it says there is no such directory. ):


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zaaPPY

Member

05-11-2012

Also, is it okay if i just go to the dash home and type "winetricks" and click the application and do the rest there, or is this the wrong way?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

soul1355

Junior Member

05-11-2012

Quote:
zaaPPY:
/home/<username>/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/<version>/bin/wine ./LeagueofLegends.exe After i put the export command down, and i put this command down it says there is no such directory. ):


you need to edit the command, replacing <username> with your username and <version> with the version of wine you want to use("1.5.3-LeagueOfLegends" [don't include the quotes] is the current version).
also, you might want to look up tab-completion to help prevent spelling errors and make life easier, but that's optional.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zaaPPY

Member

05-11-2012

Quote:
soul1355:
you need to edit the command, replacing <username> with your username and <version> with the version of wine you want to use("1.5.3-LeagueOfLegends" [don't include the quotes] is the current version).
also, you might want to look up tab-completion to help prevent spelling errors and make life easier, but that's optional.


I did remove the quotation marks and filled in the version and the user name. Im just using this one as a example.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elcye

Senior Member

05-11-2012

Quote:
zaaPPY:
I did remove the quotation marks and filled in the version and the user name. Im just using this one as a example.


You need to go in the directory where you saved the installer. If you correctly typed the command, then it failed probably because you're not in the directory where you have the installer.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

soul1355

Junior Member

05-11-2012

anybody know how to fix winetricks setting up the prefix as 64-bit? it won't let me use it for the 32-bit LoL wine server... is it because I already had wine set to windows 7?
EDIT: that doesn't seem to be it...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FinrodUrFelagund

Junior Member

05-11-2012

Quote:
Elcye:
@Finrod: I don't have any of those problems, it may be related to your graphics settings. Do you have an ATI card? They are supposed to not be that well supported on linux.


Yes I do have an ATI graphics card, I suspect it's mainly that - but maybe some other poor sap with an ATI has found a fix. Here's to hoping...

EDIT: Actually that's fixed, after some considerable trouble I've updated to the latest catalyst proprietary drivers and the graphical glitches seem to have gone.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zaaPPY

Member

05-12-2012

I download the League of legends.exe (2.2mb) and put it in the 1.5.3 directory and ran the export and ran the command but it says wine: cannot find './LeagueofLegends'