Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Competitive Scene

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZachGotStabbed

05-09-2012

How come competitive players don't move to HoN or DotA2? Not trolling, genuinely trying to figure this out. I would think that competitive players are looking for an outlet to demonstrate their high skill, and have high-level games.. Is this possible in League?

Waterga

Recruiter

05-09-2012

Why don't you get to level 30 before passing judgement on the quality of the competitive scene here.

Phantom Solari

05-09-2012

Why don't competitive soccer players play hockey instead? Why don't racecar drivers run laps instead? Because they are two very different things, just as LoL, HoN and DoTA are all different. There are plenty of "high-level games" in LoL. If you're looking for a more realistic answer then perhaps you could take into account the monetary potential of becoming a professional LoL player. When was the last time DoTA or HoN had a $5million prize pool for their tournament season?

To suggest that LoL is somehow less competitive than any other game is a foolish notion. You clearly have done very little research on the topic prior to posting and should therefore be seen as little more than a troll, regardless of your intent. Simply look up some LoL tournaments on Youtube or watch the streams as they are posted here on the website and experience the competitive scene for yourself.

ZachGotStabbed

05-10-2012

Thanks for your replies, guys. I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

All of my games so far have been with level 30+ people, despite my being level 4 or whatever. I've consistently carried or done well, and I'm making no claims that I "fully" understand the game.

And the beta DotA 2 just had a 1 million dollar tournament, but that's not what I was asking.

What I am asking is, I've been looking at the top 10 plays, streams, etc.. But I just feel like I'm not seeing high level play.. Do the highest level players switch to other games, once they reach the skill cap in league? Sort of like training wheels on a bicycle?

Thanks for all your feedback.

Selcopa

05-10-2012

Last I saw HoN players were moving to LoL.

The top players will follow the money, thats the way its always been, its the way it always will be.

Why don't they switch to Dota? maybe they dont want to learn 100 new champions, maybe they think LoL is going to be bigger, or maybe they prefer the tournament style to the league style of play that dota runs. I don't know you'd have to ask them.

As far as skill caps go, MOBA games actually all have a significantly low skill cap in comparison to other games, its all about team play after that.

Veskulios

05-10-2012

Quote:
ZachGotStabbed:
Thanks for your replies, guys. I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

All of my games so far have been with level 30+ people, despite my being level 4 or whatever. I've consistently carried or done well, and I'm making no claims that I "fully" understand the game.

And the beta DotA 2 just had a 1 million dollar tournament, but that's not what I was asking.

What I am asking is, I've been looking at the top 10 plays, streams, etc.. But I just feel like I'm not seeing high level play.. Do the highest level players switch to other games, once they reach the skill cap in league? Sort of like training wheels on a bicycle?

Thanks for all your feedback.

^Troll alert. No not respond.

Level 30+ is not possible. 30 is the cap.
You will not be matched as a level 4 with level 30's.
Also his last paragraph is obviously meant to insight people.

ZachGotStabbed

05-11-2012

Thank you, Selcopa for your intelligent and insightful response. Please, no trolls or goblins in this thread from now on, Goblet Bane.

Yes, Moba does have a lower skill cap compared to say, SC2... However, coming from FPS and RTS background, I can say that it is a completely different kind of skill. RTS is an emphasis on macro, with sub-emphasis on micro and positioning. Moba is focused on intelligent positioning, then micro, then lastly macro (items). I'd say positioning is a completely different skill than building a base, and certain Mobas actually require much faster reflexes than RTS (eg. HoN, when you have a stun flying in the air towards you and you must blink to dodge it in 1/5 of a second, or get stunned and die).

And I get paired vs level 30's because I play with friends who are level 29-30. I didn't know there was a limit on level, so thank you for teaching me that, Mr. Goblin troll. I assumed when everyone but me has flash, that they were at LEAST level 30.

Back to the point of the thread, which is skill cap and competitive play. I would think that once pros hit the "ceiling" in a game, that they would look for a game where their skills could be adequately challenged, rather than continuous "nub-stomping" in a game they are far too advanced for. I would think that pros in it for money wouldn't switch to HoN, but why not switch to DoTA 2, where your skills can shine and you would make more money?

edit: I'm a HoN player, because I prefer to play where I am constantly challenged, and I just haven't found this challenge in League yet, at the level 30 bracket I play in anyway.

EpicWinFTW

05-12-2012

Riot has designed LoL to take the emphasis away from individual skill and put it more on team skill. This is why LoL has no "hard" carries that can 1v5 entire teams after enough farm and is probably also why we don't see items like BKB in the game.

I happen to agree with this design choice, as well as other design choices that Riot has made since LoL's beginning. This is why I switched from Dota to LoL in ~2009 and have been quite happy ever since.

Selcopa

05-12-2012

Once you get into ranked and start dealing with players with skill you'll realize how deep the game is.

And you are gonna hit the same mechanical skill ceiling in Dota as you will in LoL my whole point is that that skill ceiling really isnt that high for any game(especially in video games that can take a year of training to get to the top of the ranks compared to sports where you have to dedicate your life to getting good enough)

Dont worry about the "im beating level 30s" League is similar to an MMORPG, once you hit max level NOW you can start playing

WolfieBlackheart

06-02-2012

Quote:
PhantomFungus:
Why don't competitive soccer players play hockey instead? Why don't racecar drivers run laps instead? Because they are two very different things, just as LoL, HoN and DoTA are all different. There are plenty of "high-level games" in LoL. If you're looking for a more realistic answer then perhaps you could take into account the monetary potential of becoming a professional LoL player. When was the last time DoTA or HoN had a $5million prize pool for their tournament season?

To suggest that LoL is somehow less competitive than any other game is a foolish notion. You clearly have done very little research on the topic prior to posting and should therefore be seen as little more than a troll, regardless of your intent. Simply look up some LoL tournaments on Youtube or watch the streams as they are posted here on the website and experience the competitive scene for yourself.

Dota has a robust competitive scene. The International alone is a $1.6 million pool.