Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Varus - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Toenail

Recruiter

05-09-2012

I'm really really glad that you lore guys stepped out of the shadows finally. I missed you and a Runaan a lot. So here's a hug for each of you: *+2 hugs*

I'm working on a cosplay for Varus as we speak and I'm also a huge lore junkie. I have a few questions, hopefully at least one of them can be answered.

1) Is Varus left or right handed?

2) Does his talisman necklace have any significance? If so, why is it not in his splash art and what significance does it have?

3) Why does he have a tiara? Is it like the signet of the temple guardians or something?

4) What is the weird glowy mirror thing on his torso belt?

5) Why is his scarf only slightly ripped in certain places?

6) Can we get a fully drawn picture of the tat on his right shoulder?

7) Was Riven the Noxian in command that led the attack on his village?

8) What would Varus think of champions such as Mordekaiser and Morgana who reside in Noxus and possibly affiliate with it but were never even remotely involved in the Noxus v Ionian conflict?

9) What kind of relations does Varus have with other Ionian champions?

10) How would Varus get along with Kassadin? As both seem to have been afflicted by corruptions.

11) Would you say Varus is True-Neutral?

Warscythes

05-09-2012

Which route would you prefer Varus go to?

-Dies due to the contamination, reborn as the new evil.
-Realizes his mistake and trap both himself and the virus/evil inside somewhere

Also since this is a game, Varus can never actually "die" , the virus can never take over him, otherwise his default model has to be remade(Although that would be pretty cool). How do you plan to flesh out his lore in the future with this kind of limitation?

Spitfira

05-09-2012

hi skribbles, do you have an opinion on varus's blight crystal skin? is the blight skin still geared towards the whole hes about to die look?

-why does the bow have four arms?
~p.s. i really like varus, bowmen are just really cool

Bito Maney

05-09-2012

any update you can give us on when were getting lore back into the game? i miss JoJ

Yggtalem

05-09-2012

no real question, just wanted to give you guys a props for the good work, not just mechanics design but creative design too, i think varus is really well rounded and his lore, appearance, animations and kit all marry extremely well.

Skribbles

Recruiter

05-09-2012

Quote:
Sylph:
New section added:

Creative Design Threads - 2 entries so far! Visible from the table of contents up above, or you can scroll down to the sub section.

Another fun entry to our growing library!

Thanks!

-Sylph
Runeterra Chronicler

You're a rock star.

Quote:
Udajit:
Out of curiosity, was Yoji Matsuda from the Studio Ghibli film, "Princess Mononoke," a partial inspiration for Varus?

Bad ass with a bow and tendrils of corruption giving him extreme power... ?

I can't say it came up specifically, but I have seen Princess Mononoke (as well as most of Studio Ghibli's stuff) and I know that our tastes and thoughts are shaped and influenced by a wealth of artistic references. We often use characters from various stories and shows as common points to express our ideas for new champions.

Quote:
Hidari Shotaro:
both kassasdin and malzahar have been affected by sinister forces, how do they compare to varus? and do they share similar burdens?

They each are driven by what they see as ultimate purposes, but their emotions and personalities are quite different, I think.

Malzahar, sensitive to things beyond normal perception, was susceptible to a Void sentience which now uses him to operate across the veil from the Void. As with the concepts of many prophets, his earlier self is gone, and he now serves what he sees as a greater purpose for the future.

Kassadin is a man who has seen firsthand something that represents a massive danger to his world. As is often the case with those possessed of extreme views, or exposed to things most people never see, he is treated with skepticism; but he has complete faith that what he is doing is right, and the cost of inaction is too great for him to ignore the threat.

Varus is a man who once had such a sense of duty, but often the things asked of men in the name of duty are greater than the human spirit can endure. When the very things that served as the foundation of his loyalty were taken away, he lost sight of why he ever cared in the first place. Now the only thing he has left is to try to make up for what he didn't do when he had the chance, and I think some part of him also believes he is preventing the same thing happening in the future.

Wow...wall of text. Hope that answers your question...

Quote:
Cromathor:
One thing I dislike about the lore of this game is when I read something like "Varus was chosen to be the warden of a sacred Ionian temple." it really distances me from the story in general, if it was "Varus was an honored warden at the sacred temple of Pyrriala, high in the Clouds Breath Mountains" it actually gives me a setting: I imagine mountains, I imagine Varus going on patrols, I imagine the prestige that comes from guarding such a well known temple, etc. Without those names and titles I have a harder time really feeling the story. Without a name for the temple it seems like the temple is actually unimportant, but we later find out it's actually a very big part of the story.

I hear you Cromathor, this is something we wrestle with ourselves. We've found there is a fine line between an immersive world and being crit with information. Players of LoL (and many games) have varying commitments to the in-game universe and their first point of contact is (usually) a champion bio. If we pack too many names and places in the bios or make them dense, lengthy pieces of prose, we can make a player feel like they aren't "part of the club" enough to really grasp the story, or we can make it seem like they can only really connect with the character if they're willing to do a lot of homework. This said, we are always looking into ways to provide content to satisfy players of all levels of interest and we know there are others who share your perspective.

Quote:
Cromathor:
How long did you guys spend in visual concepts before sticking to one look?

I'm not sure I could say for sure. We iterate on the fine details for quite a while, but the general look usually gets locked down in a couple weeks. This does vary from champ to champ.

Quote:
TheChief:
In one word, how do you think Rammus would describe Varus?

"Sweet." Wait...that doesn't seem right...

Quote:
Myrmidont:
Would Varus's taint and the deep dark ocean taint that changed Nautilus have anything in common?

Would this be a place where you could tie in new motivations or form a new pseudo faction like the void?

First rule of Corruption Club: I cannot speak of Corruption Club.

Quote:
Myrmidont:
How do justify the taint empowering him instead of just making him bed ridden and nasty; how did he know that it would do that instead of just eating him?

We felt the idea of a dark temptation that both empowers and destroys is a fairly recognizable theme. If you wonder how Varus knew...I think, based on some of the language in the Judgment, that he already felt the promise of power from the corruption, he just had the presence of mind to resist it. I also imagine that he was told many things by the Elders when he was appointed as a warden.

Quote:
Myrmidont:
Doesn't allowing the corruption to escape via himself betray his people and himself, and his "sacrifice" to his duty thus worthless?

Maybe. I'm not so sure. Varus was a loyal warrior who made an impossible choice. Effectively, he chose to be loyal to Ionia at the cost of his family and himself. Noxus, an invading nation that was slaughtering Ionians, did not gain access to the corruption. What might they have done with that power? Moreover, is everything good that Varus ever did invalidated by the fact that he lost his way?

Leon

05-09-2012

the whole manifest thing seems like you kinda ripped it off the fullbring manifestation

Zerglinator

05-09-2012

Quote:
Skribbles:
I can say we've had some voice actors in the past you might have recognized.

Oh, I know it! I want to know what Kyle Hebert himself thinks of Pulsefire Ezreal!

Stexe

Recruiter

05-09-2012

Thanks for answering so many questions. Not to knock on Harrow, but this was much more informative than the similar thread on Hecarim (which still has a ton of unanswered questions). Hope this style sets the bar to be passed in future Q&A sessions!

Opreich

05-09-2012

Does Varus really think he can take down the whole of Noxus by himself?

Everyone is a trained soldier, due to compulsory enlistment. Noxus is one massive war machine.

A single man with a corruptive power could not defeat that.

What does he thing the corruption will do once he dies? It will leave the host and find a new one, a power that needs to be locked away for centuries doesn't just die, and if that new host is a Noxian, well, I can't see that ending well for anyone.

And does Varus realise he himself is becoming the very thing he seeks to destroy?