Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Varus - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BuzzJack

05-09-2012

Was there any inspiration taken from the archers and the wishing well in Samurai Jack?

Arance

05-09-2012

Quote:
Skribbles:
- Varus is in a state of transformation. He made a decision to sacrifice his humanity (in fact his very self) to gain the means to achieve revenge. The "pants" are the manifestation of the corruption overtaking him. He only has so much time before it will overtake him. It's a particularly terrifying prospect to see your own body mutate or turn against you.

See, now this really disappoints me. It's a really cool concept you have but it feels frustrating and ultimately worthless because we all know that Varus will never move past this transitional state. He can't, because he has to remain in-game with his current kit and design. I'm not complaining really, I understand this as an unfortunate limitation of the type of game this is, but its really frustrating to see so much build-up put into a character when you know there can never be real development or resolution to their character arc. This goes for others too (like Viktor), but I think Varus may highlight the point more than any other champion. The Ashe/Trynd marriage was the closest you guys ever got to this but for players this seemed to ultimately result in two new skins without any fundamental changes to who the characters are.

tl;dr when do we get 'full corruption Varus' legendary skin?

Mirror

05-09-2012

Quote:
Skribbles:
Naming champions is always a tricky process, it's really hard to gauge what makes a good name versus a bad name (barring extremes). Though there are certain sounds and syllables that carry feelings, people tend to have experiences in life that change their opinions of names and names that sound like names (you may have really liked a Jessica, I may have hated one...just kidding, Jessica was cool). For Varus, we got a bunch of people together one Friday and ran through a bunch of options, then locked one to kick off the weekend.

So, once and for all, Varus's name was not based on any other meanings of the word? =)

Thaiya

05-09-2012

Quote:
Ravechaosknight:
Aww, if this is Riots official standpoint I'm highly disappointed. When I first read about Varus the very first thing I thought was "Man, he's going to hate Riven." Not cool!

This is mostly because in the vision I have of Riven, if she would have came across the Noxians pillaging his Village the very least she would have done is order her own troops not to partake, and to me she would have possibly sought out the Noxian commander and challenged their order to attack the village.

As much as I would like to be able to think this way about Riven, this actually doesn't sound like her. She was serving in the Noxian military in the first place (and even in the invasion of Ionia) because she shares the Noxian "might makes right" mentality. So far as the attack upon Varus' village proved to a test of the strength and skill of the two forces, she wouldn't have objected.

P.S.: Remember that her primary (and perhaps only) objection to the Noxian army's actions was their use of chemical weapons and other less-than-honorable means to overcome their foes. She admired the Ionian warriors for their strength and spirit, but she was more than willing to battle against them.

Skribbles

Recruiter

05-09-2012

Quote:
Eph289:
The line you guys put in his lore "incomparable skill with the bow" . . .

I'm guessing this is an implication that he's the best in that part of Ionia or all of Ionia and NOT an assertion that Varus has more raw skills than Ashe/Vayne/Twitch, right?

RIGHT?

Right... (cower)

Quote:
Eph289:
Also, if you can speak to this, why is Varus so aesthetically different from all of the other Ionians we've seen, who if human generally have an Asian appearance? Varus is pretty pale and his general face looks much more Caucasian than Asiatic.

As far as his paleness goes, we wanted to give him the appearance of a man whose life is slipping away or being drained. As far as his face, I think you could find people with many different appearances in all the respective regions of Valoran.

Quote:
LucasI:
Varus is the first Ionian champ that comes close to being "evil" in his motivations. Was this intentional? What I mean is, did the lore team purposely keep away from evil Ionians in the past, and/or did they purposely go for evil with this one?

In establishing a world/story/setting, it's important to set the status quo before you break it. Though all the city-states are independent entities, people naturally want to give them a good/bad alignment, and this is important for helping introduce new players to the lore. We wanted to ensure that Ionia was viewed in a positive light before we created an exception to the norm.

Quote:
Gadu Bear:
First off, I'd like to say both Varus' lore on Riot's end and the PA contributions are awesome!

Thanks!

Quote:
Gadu Bear:
Secondly, my question. (I'm sorry if it's a bit off-topic.)
What's a good way to become a writer at Riot? Or the games industry in general. I am currently getting my bachelors in English and creative writing. Am I on the right track? Any tips for an aspiring video game writer?

This is a tough question to answer, though one I'm sure a lot of people are curious about. We value creative judgment most in Creative Designers. The key to our job is trying to make things as cool as possible. Writing degrees and creative writing experience are some of the natural precursors to this type of job, but it's also extremely important to immerse yourself in as much media as possible and to be able to coherently identify success and failure points in a variety of creative endeavors. Though video games are paramount here, movies, TV, books, comics, etc. also highly inform what people see as "cool." It's important to know that this is a moving target as well. Different age groups, genders, and cultures have very different tastes, and all tastes change as time goes on. It's a real bonus if you can be mindful of this variety.

Please note, my answer is only addressing what gives you a leg up as a Creative Designer at Riot Games. My own experience isn't broad enough to tell you about all companies, and I'm not speaking about writing in particular. Many companies divide the responsibilities of Creative Designers and Writers, we currently don't.

Quote:
Zerglinator:
Ooh, another question, since you mentioned voices.

Who is his Voice Actor?

Checking to see if we can release this info. These things are weird sometimes. I can say we've had some voice actors in the past you might have recognized.

Quote:
1Eredale:
Since Varus 'absorbed' the corruption from the well in the temple... does that mean that there is no more corruption left in the temple? Or something still remains there?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... =p

Quote:
Lord Graves III:
What exactly is Varus' bow? Is it attached in place of his hand?

It's a manifestation of the corruption that suits his desires/needs. To me, Varus always felt like his hand was incomplete without a bow in it. To this end, I think where the bow ends and his hands begins could be somewhat in question.

Quote:
Lord Graves III:
Why was this dark corruption held in Ionia? Where is it from?

In time, I'd love to answer this thoroughly for you.

Quote:
Lord Graves III:
Would Varus and Master Yi feel like kindred Spirits?

I think they (and many other Ionians) would share a bond of similar experience that would speak volumes before they even had a conversation, however I think Master Yi resisted the temptations to lose himself that Varus succumbed to.

Quote:
Lord Graves III:
And this is sorta a process question, do you guys make champions from bottom up (Mechanics, then making lore to fit it)
Or top down (Making lore, then building a champ to fit it) Your previous statement implies the later.

It varies. We believe there are three key parts to champions: gameplay, theme, and art. Any one of these things can be the launching point for a champion.

Quote:
Prophecy07:
Skribbles, I'd really like to hear more about the Pit of Pallas and what it actually holds. How long has it been in there? Who put it in there? How much danger is Runeterra in when there is no more "Varus" holding it back?

Looking forward to more details on this coming out in the future, sorry!

Eldritchsense

05-09-2012

So...what's up with the art having him hold his bow in his right hand, but the in-game model has it in his left? Even if it's supposed to be a part of him, I kinda doubt he'd already have had the ambidexterity to switch on the fly like that.

Exorno

05-09-2012

What's the significance of the necklace he grasps on his in-game model? I don't see that anywhere else, nor can I find anything about it in his background story.

Doosfin

05-09-2012

Making a guess: Nautilus and Varus were corrupted by the same/similar thing(s)

Azraethea

05-09-2012

Out of curiosity, is Varus' design influenced by the Legacy of Kain series at all? Particularly his Blight Crystal skin?
(Are there Legacy of Kain fans at Riot? 8D)

Jappleack

05-09-2012

Quote:
Eldritchsense:
So...what's up with the art having him hold his bow in his right hand, but the in-game model has it in his left? Even if it's supposed to be a part of him, I kinda doubt he'd already have had the ambidexterity to switch on the fly like that.

Form your fingers in a gun shape, then point at something with your right hand as fast as you can.

Now do the same with your other hand.

There shouldn't really be a noticeable difference between hands, and I imagine Varus' bow would be something like this. The bow (as far as I can tell) IS him.