Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Varus - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Myrmidont

05-09-2012

Would Varus's taint and the deep dark ocean taint that changed Nautilus have anything in common?

Would this be a place where you could tie in new motivations or form a new pseudo faction like the void?

How do justify the taint empowering him instead of just making him bed ridden and nasty; how did he know that it would do that instead of just eating him?

Doesn't allowing the corruption to escape via himself betray his people and himself, and his "sacrifice" to his duty thus worthless?

Hige

05-09-2012

How about Vayne? how does Varus feels about her? I mean she's demacian and all but since both of them seek to "purge" runeterra from evil they could share some dinner and talk about their adventures in demon hunting... although maybe Vayne would mistake varus for one of those demons?... ugh!

Birdy51

05-09-2012

What exactly is the nature of the Owl insignia on his chest? Is it more of a cultural mark or one given to him by those who stationed him at the temple?

Skribbles

Recruiter

05-09-2012

Quote:
Zerglinator:
Karma is the Enlightened One, and she is important in Ionia.

What does Karma think of Varus? Can her incredible skills possibly separate Varus from his Corruption?

I think Karma would feel deeply for the pain Varus suffered and she would be saddened that he lost his way. I also think she would try desperately to redeem him, but, if push came to shove, I think she would do whatever was necessary to protect the world from the evil that is consuming him.

Quote:
Justin ìZ Here:
why is Varus on borrowed time? is the rental time for those pants almost up?

Varus, the Ionian man, basically sacrificed himself for the power to exact his revenge. Every minute, the corruption which gives him power gets closer to overwhelming him, when this happens, the Ionian man will have been replaced with something alien, something that deeply terrifies Ionia.

Also, the late fee on those pants is RIDICULOUS.

Quote:
Tryptomine:
This is a bit more on the visual design, but why does his bow have a hard, almost crystalline form? After seeing the preview and lore I was expecting/hoping for a more... undefined, impermeable, even liquid form.

Weapons are one of the most iconic things about champions. Though we wanted to deliver some of the creepy, fluid feeling of the corruption (like you described), it was important to give Varus a forceful, solid, strong weapon that you could identify him with instead of feeling like (as you do for instance with the T1000 from Terminator 2) the bow was just one piece of a big bag of tricks. Also, the visual impact of his animations with a sturdy bow was extremely satisfying.

Quote:
Feneroe:
What exactly is the corruption that is consuming Varus?

This is a really great question that unfortunately I can't get into details about. Suffice it to say it is very much in opposition to Ionian ideals.

Quote:
Stexe:
I'm curious to know where the overall concept came from -- and what is with his "pants"?

As with most champs, the overall concept was developed by several people internally. There aren't many worthwhile details here, we started from the idea of a male archer and ran from there. The pants are totally the hot new thing in fashion.

Quote:
Stexe:
Also, how did you come up with the name Varus?

Naming champions is always a tricky process, it's really hard to gauge what makes a good name versus a bad name (barring extremes). Though there are certain sounds and syllables that carry feelings, people tend to have experiences in life that change their opinions of names and names that sound like names (you may have really liked a Jessica, I may have hated one...just kidding, Jessica was cool). For Varus, we got a bunch of people together one Friday and ran through a bunch of options, then locked one to kick off the weekend.

Quote:
Stexe:
Not sure if you can answer this one, but any plans in the future for further collaboration between outside sources (like you did with Penny Arcade)? It really brought something different and refreshing to the table.

I'd welcome the opportunity to work with them in the future, that's about all I can say.

Redeemed In Fire

05-09-2012

This is probably a question only peripherally related to writing, but:

Is Varus' "unique" bow design related to the fact that it was broken when the "thing" started consuming him? (I love the design when it's, say, charging for Q but when it's closed or just autoing... just looks like a pair of bows sandwiched together >.&gt

Also (in the same vein as the Naut question), is there more of this "thing" somewhere else on Runeterra and if so, what is it up to?

Zerglinator

05-09-2012

What is the opinion of Zelos on Varus? Might the introduction of Varus prompt Zelos to join the League?

And does Zelos think those pants are in style?

Redeemed In Fire

05-09-2012

^lol

What would the reaction of the various Void characters be to Varus? (hope you don't mind another question from me)

Prince Kassad

05-09-2012

What is a Pit of Pallas?

Also, the "darkness" that consumes Nautilus and the "corruption" that consumes Varus both seem eerily reminiscent of the Void, and specifically of the Malzahar story. Are these lore elements related? If not, are you afraid that these concepts are reading as too similar? I feel like the role of the Void is being usurped by all these new dark fantasy elements that are being introduced in the lore of other champions.

Godunderscor

05-09-2012

Multiple questions:

Earlier it was asked if Varus' corruption and Nautilus' stemmed from a similar source. Is this the case? Could we see other Pits of Pallas-stricken champions?

In Varus' judgement there is a blurb about Owl Tattoos - what are they exactly?

Serenity Now

05-09-2012

Why is the projectile speed on his auto-attack so slow?

Actually, why does projectile speed vary so much between champions? I think Twitch is on one end of the spectrum with a very fast arrow, and then there's Soraka's banana that you could practically outrun with enough MS.