Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Varus - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sylph

Recruiter

05-09-2012

New section added:

Creative Design Threads - 2 entries so far! Visible from the table of contents up above, or you can scroll down to the sub section.

Another fun entry to our growing library!

Thanks!

-Sylph
Runeterra Chronicler

Skyhawke

05-09-2012

Would love to hear answers to the two questions above me (from Lord Graves and Prophecy07), especially about the actual hero design process and if it generally goes from lore to mechanics or vice-versa, although I'm sure there is a lot of back-and-forth between the two.

Best Lolicon NA

05-09-2012

still want to know about those pants man!

Skribbles

Recruiter

05-09-2012

Quote:
Metronomotopoeia:
How deep was the collaboration with the folks from Penny Arcade? What was their role in his development?

We outlined the general idea of who Varus was and then it was largely a team effort. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from Tycho early on, expressing how interested he was in the character and some thoughts he had about how to attack the Judgment. I wrote a rough draft of the bio and he wrote a rough draft of the Judgment and we compared notes, shared thoughts, and incorporated each other's ideas into our work. Tycho and Gabe gave us the comic teaser almost immediately and our feedback was simply "this is awesome."

Quote:
Metronomotopoeia:
Did they assist in coming up with his name? His story? His theme/art vibe? His League Judgement?

In the strictest sense, Penny Arcade was tasked with creating the comic teaser and the Judgment, but generally speaking, I see all of us having impacts on all aspects of Varus.

Quote:
Nojito:
scale of 1-10 how fun was it to work with the penny arcade guys

That's easy, it was a 10. Just like many of you, I'm sure, I grew up knowing Penny Arcade as pillars of the video game community. I never would have predicted that they would some day be fans of something I did. Tycho and I both observed that it was refreshing to swap roles for a bit, him the man behind the curtain in a champion's development and me, the anxious fan waiting to see how the new champion would evolve.

Quote:
MrAngels:
Does Varus have any natural rivals on the Fields? Is there anyone he went to the Fields looking to fight?

Though I don't think Varus would murder a Noxian civilian in cold blood, he holds Noxus as a nation responsible for their might-makes-right conqueror mentality. To that end, I think he has a strong distaste for all Noxians. He specifically hates anyone involved with the invasion though, people like Singed and Warwick, who (though they are Zaunite) played some of the most horrific roles in the invasion. I think his opinion of Riven is most interesting though. She turned away from the Noxian path, but I don't think he believes there can be redemption for the crimes she committed in the past.

Udajit

05-09-2012

Out of curiosity, was Yoji Matsuda from the Studio Ghibli film, "Princess Mononoke," a partial inspiration for Varus?

Bad ass with a bow and tendrils of corruption giving him extreme power... ?

Alex3omg

05-09-2012

So I've seen some posting about this but no direct red response..

Currently when you cast Q it works like it's smartcasted. If you use smartcasting, though, you have to hold down Q. I think it should work like the regular casting, like Janna's tornado, etc. Can you please make the smartcasted version work like the regular version? A lot of people feel this way.

Hidari Shotaro

05-09-2012

how long has the pit of corruption been on valoran? before the rune wars?
is there a chance something related to it may come up into the future?
both kassasdin and malzahar have been affected by sinister forces, how do they compare to varus? and do they share similar burdens?

Cromathor

05-09-2012

One thing I dislike about the lore of this game is when I read something like "Varus was chosen to be the warden of a sacred Ionian temple." it really distances me from the story in general, if it was "Varus was an honored warden at the sacred temple of Pyrriala, high in the Clouds Breath Mountains" it actually gives me a setting: I imagine mountains, I imagine Varus going on patrols, I imagine the prestige that comes from guarding such a well known temple, etc. Without those names and titles I have a harder time really feeling the story. Without a name for the temple it seems like the temple is actually unimportant, but we later find out it's actually a very big part of the story.

I really don't mean to pick on Varus, he has by far one of the cooler stories in League of Legends, but this seems to be a lore misstep in general. Just not enough little details. There's no name for the town, any of the elders, or any real description of the corruption before it overtakes him.

I love lore, and I love reading stories. I think it would be really cool if some of these stories got fleshed out more. I usually play LoL at a gaming center, and almost every day I hear other LoL players talk about the lore: About what characters know other characters outside of the institute etc. It seems to me that you guys have an audience of people interested in these stories, it would be awesome if they were a little longer and more detailed to really give people something cool to talk about.

Other than that I have to say you guys did a fantastic job on making him have a corrupted feel, the voice and imagery to go along with the story is very top notch. I love how he actually looks Ionian (and the fact that I can recognize something as "Ionian&quot beneath the corruption overtaking him.

How long did you guys spend in visual concepts before sticking to one look?

Alex3omg

05-09-2012

Quote:
Cromathor:
One thing I dislike about the lore of this game is when I read something like "Varus was chosen to be the warden of a sacred Ionian temple." it really distances me from the story in general, if it was "Varus was an honored warden at the sacred temple of Pyrriala, high in the Clouds Breath Mountains" it actually gives me a setting: I imagine mountains, I imagine Varus going on patrols, I imagine the prestige that comes from guarding such a well known temple, etc. Without those names and titles I have a harder time really feeling the story. Without a name for the temple it seems like the temple is actually unimportant, but we later find out it's actually a very big part of the story.

I really don't mean to pick on Varus, he has by far one of the cooler stories in League of Legends, but this seems to be a lore misstep in general. Just not enough little details. There's no name for the town, any of the elders, or any real description of the corruption before it overtakes him.

I love lore, and I love reading stories. I think it would be really cool if some of these stories got fleshed out more. I usually play LoL at a gaming center, and almost every day I hear other LoL players talk about the lore: About what characters know other characters outside of the institute etc. It seems to me that you guys have an audience of people interested in these stories, it would be awesome if they were a little longer and more detailed to really give people something cool to talk about.

Other than that I have to say you guys did a fantastic job on making him have a corrupted feel, the voice and imagery to go along with the story is very top notch. I love how he actually looks Ionian (and the fact that I can recognize something as "Ionian&quot beneath the corruption overtaking him.

How long did you guys spend in visual concepts before sticking to one look?

I agree completely. They say his 'family' but never wife, children, etc. A quick paragraph about how happy he and Mrs. Varus were, and how proud of him she was, etc... Even if it doesn't add anything to the game, it makes him feel like a person.

TheChief

05-09-2012

In one word, how do you think Rammus would describe Varus?