Varus - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerglinator

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngels View Post
So do I, and I'd love to hear the answer. I wonder if Varus had the Corruption taken from him if he would stay on the Fields fighting like a Hawkeye or something...
Hawkeye Varus is the second skin. The reason it's not out is that Riot is trying to get the rights. Happiest conspiracy theory ever!

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Hawkeye Varus is the second skin. The reason it's not out is that Riot is trying to get the rights. Happiest conspiracy theory ever!
That would be thoroughly awesome.

LucasI

05-09-2012

Varus is the first Ionian champ that comes close to being "evil" in his motivations. Was this intentional? What I mean is, did the lore team purposely keep away from evil Ionians in the past, and/or did they purposely go for evil with this one?

Gadu Bear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2012

First off, I'd like to say both Varus' lore on Riot's end and the PA contributions are awesome!

Secondly, my question. (I'm sorry if it's a bit off-topic.)
What's a good way to become a writer at Riot? Or the games industry in general. I am currently getting my bachelors in English and creative writing. Am I on the right track? Any tips for an aspiring video game writer?

Skribbles

Associate Writer

05-09-2012
2 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeo View Post
Why's his W so **** strong. Also - why are his cooldowns so long? He has amazing spells, it's fairly underwhelming when you can't use them.
- Corruption, as a concept, inherently enhances Ws. (not serious) Broadly speaking, for all aspects of a champion's kit, designers playtest champions and refine the numbers on abilities (including cooldowns) to make them as balanced as possible. This said, the goal of this thread is to field questions more directed at the lore/background of the character and his Creative vision, from here on out I'll be focusing on those types of questions. More details on the difference between Design and Creative Design below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeo View Post
That aside - serious question - does he have pants or is that some weird other ...Hell I don't even know what that is. What is that, it's clearly not pants. X_X *confused*
- Varus is in a state of transformation. He made a decision to sacrifice his humanity (in fact his very self) to gain the means to achieve revenge. The "pants" are the manifestation of the corruption overtaking him. He only has so much time before it will overtake him. It's a particularly terrifying prospect to see your own body mutate or turn against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leib Olmai View Post
If you are the "Creative Designer" What is considered Meddler ? He isn't the one that made the champion ?
- Meddler is the Designer, more specifically the mechanics designer. Though he and I keep each other updated with everything we do, he is responsible for creating the champion's kit and implementing it in game. I'm responsible for WHO Varus is (his theme), this includes his personality, motivation, background, voice, etc. Something that continually amazes me is how mechanics designers can run with the theme to make a kit that recreates the feeling of such a character.

Zerglinator

05-09-2012

So I figured out why Varus has "incomparable" skill with the bow.

He can actually draw back the string. And fires arrows in an arc. Ashe does neither of these things, both of which seem like basic archery tools.

Zerglinator

05-09-2012

Ooh, another question, since you mentioned voices.

Who is his Voice Actor?

1Eredale

05-09-2012

Since Varus 'absorbed' the corruption from the well in the temple... does that mean that there is no more corruption left in the temple? Or something still remains there?

Lord Graves III

05-09-2012

What exactly is Varus' bow? Is it attached in place of his hand?

Why was this dark corruption held in Ionia? Where is it from?

Would Varus and Master Yi feel like kindred Spirits?

And this is sorta a process question, do you guys make champions from bottom up (Mechanics, then making lore to fit it)
Or top down (Making lore, then building a champ to fit it) Your previous statement implies the later.

rootlock

05-09-2012

Skribbles, I'd really like to hear more about the Pit of Pallas and what it actually holds. How long has it been in there? Who put it in there? How much danger is Runeterra in when there is no more "Varus" holding it back?