Varus - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skribbles

Associate Writer

05-09-2012
1 of 13 Riot Posts

Hello Lore Forums!

After a really exciting development process which included collaboration with the folks from Penny Arcade, I'm happy to see Varus out there on the Fields of Justice and to see the various reactions from you, our players. I know I'm a rare presence on the forums, but I'm glad to have this opportunity to give something back for all your dedication. Your devotion to the world of Runeterra is by far the greatest reward for the work we do as Creative Designers.

Alright, gushy appreciative preamble aside, what can I tell you about Varus? :-)

Timeo

05-09-2012

Why's his W so **** strong. Also - why are his cooldowns so long? He has amazing spells, it's fairly underwhelming when you can't use them.

That aside - serious question - does he have pants or is that some weird other ...Hell I don't even know what that is. What is that, it's clearly not pants. X_X *confused*

[EDIT] Did not notice you're a writer. Apologies for the awkward balance questions.

There seems to be a lot of corruption going around in League. Several curses and what not, what is the origin of those Lore-wise?

Leib Olmai

05-09-2012

If you are the "Creative Designer" What is considered Meddler ? He isn't the one that made the champion ?

Mirror

05-09-2012

How deep was the collaboration with the folks from Penny Arcade? What was their role in his development?

Did they assist in coming up with his name? His story? His theme/art vibe? His League Judgement?

To the poster above above me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leib Olmai View Post
If you are the "Creative Designer" What is considered Meddler ? He isn't the one that made the champion ?
I believe Champion designers come up with abilities/mechanics that they think will be as fun as possible to play. I think Creative Designer in this context means Skribbles was heading up creative decisions on things like Varus's appearance, why he has an organic weapon of corruption instead of just being Ashe's brother who also digs archery, etc.

Scorpionix

05-09-2012

Question about lore in general:
What happened to the Journal of Justice?

rootlock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2012

He made Varus the person; i.e., he made Varus' story, probably had a lot of influence on the art and the feel of the character (if he didn't do the concept art himself, I don't know), and how Varus fits into the world of Runeterra.

Meddler made Varus the champion; i.e., his skills, his passive, his stats.

TLDR; Skribbles made the lore, Meddler made the in-game mechanics.

Nojito

05-09-2012

scale of 1-10 how fun was it to work with the penny arcade guys?

Also can you explain how the collaboration worked?

The Djinn

05-09-2012

--Oops. Didn't see this was in the Lore section--

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2012

Does Varus have any natural rivals on the Fields? Is there anyone he went to the Fields looking to fight?

Edit: The amount of mechanics/gameplay questions here is hilariously large.

Cae vida loka

05-09-2012

The only thing I liked to read was Harry Potter books and Naruto manga so ill pass

IMO this game is just a game, and varus is a pixelated champion, also lore is not true its an story made by someone else

why is voldemort so evil?

why does naruto love sakura?

rude or not its truth im sorry

1234511 ... 14