Flat AD runes vs Armor pen. Runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JupiteI

05-08-2012

I've been playing AD bot a lot recently because I want to improve myself in that role.

Now, I got a simple question. Which rune set would be better for an AD carry: Full flat AD runes? Or Full armor pen. Runes?

I would like some arguments along with your answers and some opinions.

Thanks!

EagleSun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2012

Arpen are better if you can lasthit well

AD aree better if you cant

Ruahi

05-08-2012

apparently it goes like this

flat ad helps early game but falls off as game goes on

arpen helps later in the game but not so good early on

P4K ILLips

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruahi View Post

pretty much this, AD boosts your early game a ton. Better last hitting ability, hit opposing champs harder (because they are usually very low armor early anyways)

so all in all almost every competitive AD carry player runs AD marks and Quints these days, the positives just outweigh ArPen by a good amount.

plus LW is a pretty cheap item and pretty much kills the opponents using armor to counter you.

Papa Tayder

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erosqt View Post
pretty much this, AD boosts your early game a ton. Better last hitting ability, hit opposing champs harder (because they are usually very low armor early anyways)

so all in all almost every competitive AD carry player runs AD marks and Quints these days, the positives just outweigh ArPen by a good amount.

plus LW is a pretty cheap item and pretty much kills the opponents using armor to counter you.
People don't typically run arpen runes because of the mastery now, not because it's "worse" early game. It's actually pretty **** strong early game, still. Most AD carries aren't going to have a ton of armor, so the armor pen moves you closer to dealing true damage. The actual reason that most high level ad carry players run AD reds is for easier last hitting at the tower and better overall last hitting. With the changes to masteries and how passive bot lane typically is, there was no reason to run ARpen anymore.

crzymdscntst

05-08-2012

I believe if Armor is countering you that much as an AD, Last Whisper really works. I've honestly had about 10 games now where Thornmail's returns were surpassed by lifesteal alone. Not to count the lack of any armor pen on said champs and the lack of MR. Even paired with health, it seems not to be measuring up.

So currently, more AD seems to be more effective for as long as counters are a bit wonky. Even when they aren't working wonky, Last Whisper and some lifesteal seem to render them obsolete anyway.

Delimon

05-08-2012

Armor pen does more form early to late game, ad is better for last hitting and maybe pushing a bit more out of your crits.

Jimyd

05-08-2012

If you like buying Black Cleaver, then run full Armor Pen.

31+ 45 = 76 Armor Reduction.

It works if the Ranged AD Champ can naturally last-hit well. Caitlynn and Ezreal work very well with full Armor Pen. Caitlynn due to the Range+Harass, and Ezreal has his Q+BC procing.

RipCarlin

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruahi View Post

Flat AD is actually better than Flat APen late game once you have LW. They are only a bit weaker than APen runes for a short time before you buy LW.

So a full AD page is generally better on most Ranged ADs. APen runes are better suited for AD Casters.

Jimyd

05-08-2012

Vayne with full ArmorPen + Old Stark's Fevor + Black Cleaver = Scariest AD anywhere on the map.

Too bad they removed the -20 Armor Pen aura.