Why elo hell does not exist and why that is good

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alamander

05-11-2012

Completely agree. elo hell does not exist. I was 1300 last season because i PUT MYSELF THERE. People complain about getting trolls, but how many of you count the free wins you are given by them?

Currently sitting around 1760 now, because i focused on how I could change things to do more for the team. How I could become better. Believe it or not, you aren't perfect

no5peakenglish

05-11-2012

What do you guys feel about the pricks who complain about elo hell, then get carried by a better friend to a higher elo? that must suck, id hate to run into that after 1200 elo. i am pretty much stuck in the 850-950 myself, BUT i will say that in 1:10 games: i get a leaver.

my suggestions:
ENCOURAGE YOUR TEAM, and dont freak out if they make a mistake.
BUY WARDS, if your support sucks or isnt warding....dont just cry about it and say "/all report noob alistar"...just buy the wards and quit the *****ing.
DONT BUILD GLASS CANNONS IF YOU CANT RELY ON YOUR TEAM...simply put, if you have no space in your item builds for armor/health/MR then put it in your runes.

But take from this what you want, I think i am better than my elo, but im still learning more and more about the game. And at the end of the day, i know that I am a positive influence in the community.

CounterSnipe

05-11-2012

Then why do some players have smurf accounts with several hundred more points of elo than they do on their main accounts?

I'd really love to hear the answer to that one.

A Paralyzed Kid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2012

My first thought is that this is another person in the upper mid ELO's like 1600-1800 saying that there isnt an ELO hell but i like how you make it easy to understand how we are stuck down in the 800's. You are 100% correct that if you are that low it is your fault and there is always room to improve!

Guppers

05-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSnipe View Post
Then why do some players have smurf accounts with several hundred more points of elo than they do on their main accounts?

i'm not sure if you're trolling, but that doesn't make sense. A smurf account is an account that is lower than your main account ELO so you can play against people weaker than you. If your smurf account is several hundred points higher, I think you would just consider that your new main account.

To address some other comments:

yes it would be annoying to think of a person getting carried to 1300 elo by luck of the draw, but that person would be an extreme statistical rarity (assuming he played at the skill level of a lower elo)

if you are in a 1300 elo game and you see someone who you think clearly doesn't belong there you can't draw conclusions necessarily. That person could be having a terrible game like everyone does, maybe due to personal life problems or w/e.

also people tend to look for fault automatically in anyone but themselves so they look for they easiest way to do that and single out the person with the worst KDA. But a poor KDA could be due to many things like bad jungling, lack of MIA, poor luck, etc.

Big picture: Any given game of LoL has far too many variables involved for any person to objectively analyze the game while playing it (impossible by definition). In most cases it would be irresponsible to claim to know the exact reason why a game is being lost by blaming it on one person.

this is why the assume it's your own fault and look for ways to improve strategy is always the best strategy

Moogra2u

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2012

Relevant guide: http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=22223

Anyway I see a lot of times people lose because of stupid players who demoralize their own team. So if these said players are on my team I see them going "noob xin" or something every other minute or like "karthus you just threw the game at 2 minutes and ruined it for everyone" and then the players waste time defending themselves and not watch themselves get ganked. If these flamers are on the other team, you see them in all chat "this graves" "ashe noob miss ult" If no one said these things and everyone is encouraging people might try harder. Now honestly I say things like "wow this ahri will make us lose" and "WOW this jax is terrible" but I say this to myself and in chat say "try warding next time and you'll do better" and "try not to overextend, their jungler will get you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSnipe View Post

So here is how, in the placement matches they get great players who have good games (no Sonas that don't ward/take cs and complain that I'm playing passive against a blitz and caitlyn, no Graves that can't last hit when I'm supporting). They don't complain and none of their team complains. Probability of getting a feeder is probably 1/5 since in every game there will always be 2 feeders on ONE team. They don't flame, team has good morale and wins and end up higher.

Now in low elo, they just got placed with people who 1) have bad games or 2) don't really belong in 1200. In the same amount of games it will be harder for them to reach a higher rating. There are games that you can't carry but this has nothing to do with elo hell. I've helped carried a game 3v5 before by one shotting the entire team on a veigar with a good ad carry lategame. The other team really had no way of coming back by then.

Also a lot of people lose because they don't buy wards since it's "not the ad responsibility." Well if the support doesn't buy wards, you either tell him/her to buy wards and ward or buy them yourself. The mid and top have to ward so why can't you ward? 75g = 4 minion kills and you can see the jungler/other lanes coming, you know that you can extend further and trade harder, and other things.

datuglykid

05-13-2012

sry bro but elo hell is real. I know how it sounds but I encounter maybe 1 out of 5 games(50 players, 98%) player that is better than me, awareness wise. Not to say I dont make a lot of mistakes but my self awareness is very high and they get corrected. trolls, mexicans, autolockers, and straight noobs(no offense but play norm). I cannot get out of the habit of overcorrecting my teams mistakes which leaves me gimped and worn out from trying so hard. F this game.

Canadian Accent

05-13-2012

from 700 elo to 1k elo from playing my two best champs ( biltzcrank to Kog' Maw), you just have to have some faith and trust your teamates and always have a positive additude or you'll lose

Guppers

05-14-2012

it's really frustrating trying to explain this argument to someone and having them say "it's not about math"

Sexual Healing

05-14-2012

Honestly, half the reason the Elo discrepancy exists is because of noobs using their excelerated Elo gain/loss from when they start playing to get themselves into a low low range. And there is a disadvantage to this low Elo. The lower Elo games generally rely on how well players know how to push objectives. If you win a Baron contest at 35 minutes in 1400+ Elo, that can win the game. The same situation at 800 Elo could mean everybody wants to sit around, forget about lane pressure, objectives, and wants to do everything except push. This generally results in allowing late game champs to wreak havoc as the clock ticks.

I'm not saying that there's an evelyn/soraka bot lane duo queue trolling every match at low Elo, but there are fundamental differences in the way that player generally address objectives that makes it easier for the concept of Elo Hell to exist.