Allowed to use "Free RP site" codes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arius Aneid

05-08-2012

Hello all. So I came across a website (wont list it for now) that was one of those "Fill out surveys and get a free 25 dollar RP card." Well, I did it and it actually worked and I got the code, but I'm wondering if these codes are legit to use, as per the rules from Riot. I'm assuming if I enter the code in and it works, then it was purchased from Riot. Those sites get money from getting people to take surveys right, so they buy the codes and give them as rewards, right? So would it be alright to use (given the website had to purchase it)? I just wanted to ask and see before I used it and got in some sort of trouble Thanks.

Shiister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2012

Use it and see what happens *shrugs* be funny if the code didn't work.

Arius Aneid

05-08-2012

Lol, it didn't :P shoulda known. just go out and buy a card i guess :P

destructo456

07-02-2012

yeah i think it would be better to go out to buy a card then cheatting

DebosBike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2012

Nothing bad can happen from using these codes.

They can't steal anything from your account when you enter it into the game client, and Riot could care less who bought the RP as it had to have come from their store anyways

*Edit*
They are probably either giving hundreds of people the same code, or you didn't use yours quickly enough and they put it back into their system.

Seth the Bum

07-03-2012

It took me a while, but I eventually got enough points on a site to get a $25 League of Legends game card. I thought they'd mail it to me so I didn't realize for a few days that they instead just showed the card's code in my prize claim history. The code still worked fine after not redeeming it for a few days. I think the codes given from sites such as this can be considered legitimate, as you are being rewarded for increasing businesses' and their partners' revenue; then again, this forum censors the website's name as well as links to it. If you do something like this, however, I recommend using one or more dummy email addresses created solely for using the site, so you don't get tons of spam in your primary email address(es).

Flyingbox

07-04-2012

No no no no no. NEVER ever do these sites.

Just spend the money yourself on a card. Chances are you just gave up twice that in personal information and surveys including wasted time.
Those websites get censored on the forums for a reason--"riot no like"

Zowk

07-04-2012

the worst thing can happens is the code don't work and you waste time on surveys

GG

JohnnyOmega

07-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zowk View Post
the worst thing can happens is the code don't work and you waste time on surveys

Don't forget about malware and key loggers.

You could lose your game account and lose money from your bank account if you're not careful.

Seth the Bum

07-04-2012

It's true, when doing things like this, you should be extremely careful. I always deleted cookies and "super cookies" (flash cookies) after doing some stuff and I never gave out my personal information. I did things like make up a persona when something asked for a name or address or such, obviously skewing some survey results, but whatever, safety first. Because of this, I had to pick and choose the tasks I completed carefully, as some seemed fishy and some I know I couldn't get credit for with fake information. So yeah, it took me a rather long time to even get a $25 card, so you are likely much better off just spending real money to support Riot, which I can guarantee you will take less time to acquire with a job than doing tasks and surveys. I'm unemployed though so I ended up using such a site. It's a pain in the ass and you do need to be careful so I don't recommend the average person using a site such as the one I used.