Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP Varus, and why its better than AD.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Courier Lord

05-08-2012

TL:DR AP/Attackspeed/CDR is better than AD/Attackspeed

Skillset
Q- Linear channeled nuke, deals between 1-1.6 AD depending on channel time. Pretty much caitlyns Q.

W - Small damage steriod with strong AP ratio, as well as koggers passive but requires a spell every 3-4 autoattacks to reap the profit.

E - Aoe Slow with a 0.6 AD ratio

R - AoE snare with a 1.0 AP ratio and good damage.

]Notes: His attackspeed and attackspeed growth are balls. Katarina actually attacks faster...

Discussion.
Q - Poke spell, can also be used to snipe. Less consistent and lower damage than other standard pokes. Has the ability to snipe, but has half the damage of Cait ult and is a
skillshot. Can be used to proc W.

W - An on-hit steriod, with a exploding counter steriod built in. Very strong AP ratios. Weak kog passive if building AD, as strong as AP kogs passive if building AP. Needs to
be proc'd by spells.

E- **** damage post early game. Pretty much just an AoE slow regardless of build path.

R- Strong damage with 1-1 AP ratio, 2 second jumping AoE snare. Synergy with E as decreases likely hood of dodging the jump.

Looking over the skillset you can pretty much see that his skillset has very little syergy with AD. In an AD build his 8+ second CD mean that if your applying stacks of blight far faster than you can pop them, and popping them wastes spells for a minor damage increase because you have no AP to scale them and no MR penetration to make the damage buff /really/ hurt.
His passive attackspeed steriod is situational and requires you to be already winning a fight to pop, and his base DPS is balls without his W popping regularly. Making him extremely item dependent without strong synergy with said items.

On the flipside you can see alot of synergy with AP. His Q is now just used to proc his W, and Q snipes of triple blight stacks late game will be dealing upto a 1000 damage per pop. The CDR brings it cooldown to around 5~ so it can be used twice in a fight to proc W, also E still does **** damage so it stays as a utility spell and because of CDR you can use your slow more often and it doesnt screw you when you use it to proc stacks.

Now here is the kicker. Lets say you are playing AP, and you get a 4 stack blight pop like phreak does in the spotlight. And lets just say you have 600 AP, nothing too crazy for a AP mage:
You passive will be doing 26 + 150 per hit, making it a monster of a steriod due to it being magic damage and you actually having magic pen, and blight stacks dealing 11% of their max life! So for blight stack is 44% of max life! Yes, 44 f*cking percent. You thought being hit by vayne's silver bolt hurt on third stack, wait till that truck hits you. But wait it gets better.
Not only do you have this huge steriod, you also have a 1-1 scale on your ult. So when you throw it into teamfights it deal 1000 damage to everyone nearby. WIth a standard AP/AS build you can output 3-4 stacks of blight during the snare alone, meaning you will pretty much gib any non-tanky character as well as dealing solid AoE and causing disruption. And what happens when someone dies... woot attackspeed steriod to get your next 44% percent to nail someones *ss.

Thanks for the read, feel free to post questions and bump for other varus players to read.

Note: I do not think that release Varus is comparable to the other top picks in either AP or AD, this is just what i believe will make the most of his kit.

For those interested, There is math further in the thread pretty much saying that IE + PD Varus has comparable DPS to Deathcap + Malady + Stinger Varus for the same cost, also IE vs Deathcap is somewhat comparable depending on the current AR and MR and the nature of skill build synergy early mid game.

Quote:
In refernce to Kog being proof that AD varus should be better than AP varus:
Kog also has retardly long range which allows him to build more glass AD, he has an armour shred, and he has much better attackspeed base. Also doesnt need CDR to get consistent proc's off his steriod. As varus lacks the safety of massive range, he cant just **** their autoattacking as safely, without CDR is massively restricted to blight procs due to his ****ty CDs and without the MR/AR shred kog has on his Q, his steriord does **** damage. Also, did i mention his attackspeed is similar to katarina.

Galfureye

05-08-2012

i like your ideas +1

but despite all this varus is meant to be AD in my opinion, I can see maybe an attack speed/AP mix because it is going to be hard to get W stacks of people with a bad AS

DeathstarsOG

05-08-2012

What items are you suggesting? Malady + AP items?

Fierach

05-08-2012

So, an AP ranged carry, instead of an AD ranged carry?

DracoDreth

05-08-2012

I'm very eager to try this, got any idea of which items should be built for it?

Restitution

05-08-2012

Quote:
Galfureye:
i like your ideas +1

but despite all this varus is meant to be AD in my opinion, I can see maybe an attack speed/AP mix because it is going to be hard to get W stacks of people with a bad AS

Then why do they murder his AD scaling by putting ridiculous ap ratios on half his abilities?

NorDicUn

05-08-2012

meh, i like to auto attacl and crit with ie+ phatom

Ecaroh

05-08-2012

I see a Guinsoo's Rageblade working well on him. After seeing his ratio's that item and Gunblade were my first thoughts

synthesizerToady

05-08-2012

I could see grabbing a nashor's on varus, it looks like it would have good synergy with his kit. Not sure about full AP though it will need testing I think.

Sephtis

05-08-2012

W requires 3 auto attacks, R is the only other ap scaling.

Q and E use physical dmg and have no ap scaling. and are thus, useless on pure ap.

AD can deal more damage, isn't only burst, also has consistent lifesteal, sysnergises with Q and E with Ad.

yep ap is clearly better.