My verdict on AP Teemo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrignardTS

05-08-2012

Well, I've spent the last 3 days playing a lot in general, along with a lot of AP Teemo. I previously thought that removing Codex from Teemo's early build from DFG would be too harsh to recover from. Since he was already in that 'gimmik lolzbuild' category anyway.

This experience in is Blind (where I did not guarantee a counterpick with Teemo) and in my 1700-1800 ELO range.

Overall, I think I was too harsh on the Yordle my first judgement on him. I feel like I've increased my level of play with him, how to shroom, when to BD, etc to the point that I can effectively carry games.

Not only that, but shrooms in team fights are a god send.

I give him my seal of approval. Means nothing to any of you, but I'm happy to know that in playing him I won't feel as I'm bringing down my team. In my heart at least.

Also my brother (Who I respect as a strong Dom player in the 1700 ELO range himself) unbeknownst to me spectated one of these Teemo games and stated "I saw you do some amazing things with AP Teemo". That is validation enough for me.

This means I can update my AP Teemo guide and I'll probably make one on mobafire/solomid as well.

smXho

05-08-2012

i go hextech sweeper, ionian boots, 9/0/21 for 35% CDR

Then i build deathcap, void staff, Some armor item, FON

GrignardTS

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smXho View Post
i go hextech sweeper, ionian boots, 9/0/21 for 35% CDR

Then i build deathcap, void staff, Some armor item, FON
I do basically the same. However, I get DFG over Ionian for the CDR and get flat pen with Sorc Shoes and runes.

Then I get cap and either get a Void Staff or Guise depending on the match.

Redenbacher

05-08-2012

I've been wanting to try this myself. I know it won't have me jumping Elo brackets, but it could be a fun departure from playing support tanks and AD champions. I don't really have an AP champion that's viable in solo Q except Kassadin, and I typically know I'll win with him, so it's not very exciting.

smXho

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrignardTS View Post
I do basically the same. However, I get DFG over Ionian for the CDR and get flat pen with Sorc Shoes and runes.

Then I get cap and either get a Void Staff or Guise depending on the match.
I tested a lot with MET, if you do MET + hextech sweeper, you can do 9 / 21 / 0 which helps Teemo survive a lot better

Also AP Teemo excels in tracking down backdoor and making stupid enemy thinks they can kill you but instead eating like 1million mushrooms

GrignardTS

05-08-2012

Quote:
I tested a lot with MET, if you do MET + hextech sweeper, you can do 9 / 21 / 0 which helps Teemo survive a lot better
I actually go 9/21 already for the CDR. 12% from rune/mastery, 15% DFG, 10% Sweeper so we at 37%.

And I couldn't imagine loosing the DFG active. He has no hard nuke outside Dart so it really helps him taking out those pesky Ahri/Fizz/(Insert Carry). Anyone really that opts for HP over building hard MR.

My build ATM:

mpen mark
4 mana regen/level seal
5 hp/level seal
mpen glyph
mpen quint

9-21-0

Start Ruby+boot+Amp
Sorcerer's Shoe's
Sweeper
DFG

If most carries have >50 MR but <80 MR, Guise
If most carries have <50 MR, Death Cap

Then either Void Staff or Guise depending on what the tanks are building.

Using shrooms inside team fights and proper placement for defending are the two most important things for AP Teemo.

junseii

05-08-2012

I play AP teemo a lot, but I do things a bit different from what others here have done.

First off I go 21/9/0, since I've noticed quite a bit of different in the damage and the survivability doesn't change all that much for me from going 9/21/0

With the changes to DFG I usually start boots blasting wand, then sorc boots, finish DFG and move on MET with a codex. By this point I have enough CDR to start being a pain with shrooms.

After the MET I go void staff, to deathcap. I've always wanted to go lichbane on him because of how blinding shot works, but its in the 6th item slot for me and my dom games with him don't last that long.

smXho

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrignardTS View Post
And I couldn't imagine loosing the DFG active. He has no hard nuke outside Dart so it really helps him taking out those pesky Ahri/Fizz/(Insert Carry). Anyone really that opts for HP over building hard MR.
To be honest, i don't see the need on DFG active, simply because when i play Teemo, i avoid fights. I kite and force people to go through mushrooms.

Backdooring appropriately help force fights and if you escape well, you can cut the enemy team in half hp before they even start a fight.

Also i use shrooms exclusively to secure objective and protect bots from ganks / backdoors.

So i might not have much team fight presence, but i am more like a roamer support role when i play him

GrignardTS

05-08-2012

Quote:
To be honest, i don't see the need on DFG active, simply because when i play Teemo, i avoid fights.
But much like playing AP Shaco, if you want to be 100% effective as AP Teemo you need to do all those things AND have team fight presence. Because team fights will happen. You can't stop it. And AP Teemo is NOT a 1v1 champion. So Bding against responsive players will only result in you being picked off as well. I promise that your team will hate you if you leave them to a loosing 4v3 all match.

Selective BDing is great and needed. But you can't avoid fights. And with DFG, you can take 70-90% of the HP away from a carry in 1s. And now it has increased casting range, 100 units is huge.

Redenbacher

05-08-2012

^^
I hate AP Teemo and AP Shaco for that reason. They have no presence in teamfights and rely on the enemy team droning about like mindless idiots to do anything useful. Building them so they can actually do something in a teamfight sounds much more reliable.

Though your build is incredibly squishy - how do you participate in a teamfight with no sustain and practically no defense?