Some Support Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

archkaster

07-18-2013

Hello

I am currently using support a lot since I usually just fill in whatever role is needed for each game.
I have a few questions to ask so I'll divide them up a little.

Question 1: Picking a Champ

I currently use Thresh as my main support and Soraka just to switch it up a little evey once in a while; sometimes I will use Shen too for global ult.

I am currently looking at two other supports Nami and Zyra and I couldn't decide which one I should take first. I realize both a completely different so I'll try to explain how I play.

Most games, I will stick to the ADC like glue and help push lanes (I don't freeze unless ADC is gone). By the end of a ~30-40 min game I will have built upgraded boots, Aegis, and Ruby Sightstone; I burn everything else on wards. As Thresh I build tanky (if I have the gold) so I can take hits for my ADC; as Soraka I just stick to ADC and heal whoever needs it during fights. My playstyle changes according to the ADC and team, but I will always be trying to take hits for my team.

Any other suggestions for champs would be appreciated, I always enjoy trying new things.

Question 2: Wards

So a few questions within this catagory

1)Ward Placement

Early Game/Laning Phase I usually have 2 sightwards and 1 vision ward. I usually plop a sightward in the bush at the mouth of the river entrance if the enemy support has not placed a ward. I use the vision ward if they have. Around 10 min in, I'll place a ward in tribush and dragon/blue entrance. However, I understand ward locations can be situational sometimes.

Question: What determines when I should place a ward in the river entrance bush or dragon? When should I be placing a ward at dragon?

2)Number of Wards

I understand that only 2 or 3 wards can be placed from a Sightstone/ Ruby Sightstone respectively and that regular sightwards do not count towards this limit.

Question: What is the maximum number of regular sightwards that can be placed on the map by a single player at any given time? How many Vision Wards?
If I have 2 Ruby Sightstones, can I place 3 "ruby" wards from each or do they share the same pool of 3 wards?

Question 3: Protecting and Dying

As I've mentioned before, when I play support I try and make sure everyone makes it out alive (unless they're lost in a sea of chaos with low hp). Many times I will be the only one to die, which I hope is a good thing.

This has not happened to me yet, but if I were to die every time in every team fight with most of my team surviving, would this be considered doing my job or feeding?

I may add some more questions later if I can think of any, but thank you for reading my questions.

Thank you in advance if I don't respond!

JWP

07-18-2013

Only have a few mins, so I'm going to try to do this quickly ><

1) Nami and Zyra are both very good. I vastly prefer Nami. She is amazing and it sounds like she'd suit your support style well.

2) A) In general, any time past ~5 mins you always want a ward at dragon if possible. As for when you should ward the river bush and/or tri-bush bot lane, you should always have sufficient sight that you'll know if the enemy jungler is coming. So preferably always at one or both spots depending on the side you started on and how far your lane is pushed up. It's extremely important, especially if their jungler is any good.

2) B) You cannot get two Ruby Sightstones for more wards, as the passive effect is uniquely named. However, you can buy and place as many regular vision/sight wards as you can carry in addition to the Ruby Sightstone.

3) It's tough to answer this...if the enemy team is focusing the support instead of a more directly threatening champion, theoretically, they're targeting poorly and you should have an advantage if your team can get to higher priority targets. However, that being said, putting yourself in too aggressive of a position and getting killed because it is not something that should be happening. With most support champions, you should be able to position yourself somewhere safe and still provide all the support you could otherwise. Try to babysit somebody who the enemy team is likely to target, like the AD carry. Nami is phenomenal at this...I almost always have a very low death count when playing Nami. There isn't really a need to put yourself in danger often.

Hope that helps!

archkaster

07-18-2013

Thank you for your quick response!

I tend to get in more "aggressive" positions because I feel as if I should be soaking up some damage when using thresh (since he's so tanky), but yes I see what you mean.

JungHai0

07-18-2013

If you like to soak up damage and be aggressive in fights and in lane, may I suggest more aggressive supports like Alistar and Leona?

OhBoyItsaMegaman

07-18-2013

Nami and Zyra are both good, especially when paired with an ADC who has a skillshot CC such as Ashe or Varus. You can easily initiate the 2v2 with Stranglethorn, count on your Ashe to ult without missing as they land, and easily land your snare as the 3rd CC in a row before the stun wears off.

I will be a little bit controversial and say that ward coverage on dragon completely depends on the skill level that you're playing at. Even in Silver ranked, I rarely see teams that are coordinated enough to collapse on dragon during the laning phase when an opportunity (other than "we just got a 3-for-0 in bot lane") presents itself. Unless the enemy team has a jungler that can potentially solo dragon early (Shaco, Nasus, Nunu), I would not suggest that you make dragon wards a priority during the early laning phase. Yes you should ward there, but it shouldn't be a high priority. At your current level, all a dragon ward means is that after their mid roams bot and gets a double kill, you can say "Hey look they're doing dragon" while your team is incapable of contesting it.

As the support, your KDA is not a useful gauge of how well you're doing. It will usually be good if your team is doing well and bad if your team is doing poorly. It's not like other roles where you can have a good individual score even if the team's struggling. For that reason, it is probably a mistake to look at your number of deaths and use that as a measure of whether you've done a good job. If the enemy team focuses you down, it might be because you were way out of position or it might be because you were so well positioned that they misplayed by focusing you. The simple fact that you died isn't evidence one way or the other. It's actually very difficult to tell how well you're doing as a support without having someone watch you and tell you "This is where you should have done something different."

mulekicker

07-18-2013

Being the only one to die in a teamfight is [I]not[I] feeding. Here's why:
1. If you are taking damage to protect your other teammates, you are giving the enemy less gold than if they had died after killing multiple enemies, due to the bounty on their head. You shouldn't have a very high bounty, if you have one at all, so you dying is worse for the enemy than, say, your AD carry dying.
2. If you use your spells to wear down and/or CC the enemy, you are still helping your team (i.e. Ammumu jumping into a fight, using his ult and then doing damage with his other attacks, then getting focused and dying.
3. If you are building tanky, like you said, you will be buying your team time to do more damage, thus helping in the teamfight.
Hope this is helpful, try not to get frustrated at your KDA ratio, it's not a fair representation of skill.

archkaster

07-18-2013

Thank you for all the responses, they're very helpful!

I have taken a look at alistar and leona, but as of now, I like the look of nami and zyra's kit a bit more (which is why I want one of them first).

I also seem to have worded my last question a little wrong.

Just to clarify, I was asking whether or not a support dying for their teammates to disengage from a team fight every time is fine or not.It was not meant to be a question about KDA or a measure of how good a support is doing.

Hope that helps.