Runes and masteries per champion please?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Takalol

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

I just got into like... the 4th game of the week with wrong runes/masteries, but the oddity was that I was with karthus runes (even though it's been 6 days I don't play karthus) with riven.

I'm getting a bit angry of going into games with wrong builds and being on a huge disavantadge, be it because of a bug, or be it because I didn't notice it.

So... there I was against nidalee with 50 ad and about 30 AP (full ap/mpen runes + defensive/utility masteries).

it was a fine game, indeed.

PardusTsunami

05-07-2012

AFAIK Mastery pages are unlimited? I only have 10 myself, but I have not heard about there being a limit. Just make one for each champ if you need to, but really I have found there is not much need for more than a few variants on 21/9/0 or 21/x/x for AD and AP types, a supports page, hybrid offense, defense, etc. If I need a very custom page for someone like Katarina (AP but no mana regen needed, etc) I just make one special for her.

As for Rune pages, they're a source of income for Riot. The 7-page bundle is one of the best bargains in RP, at least compared to buying champs. (At 6300 per page, you get the IP-equivalent of seven champs for the cost of less than three). So I don't think they're gonna hand those out on a per-champ basis. Again, if it really bothers you, spend money to get more and make one per champ.

LowPolyCount

Associate Flash Engineer

05-07-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PardusTsunami View Post
AFAIK Mastery pages are unlimited? I only have 10 myself, but I have not heard about there being a limit.
You have a limit of 10 mastery pages because they are actually stored on our servers now.

XReyoX

05-07-2012

I think OP is talking about whether it would be possible if the client auto-select the rune and mastery pages (+summoner spells) you last used with each champion. Its annoying when I get distracted during champ select and forget to change my summoners, runes or masteries.

PardusTsunami

05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPolyCount View Post
You have a limit of 10 mastery pages because they are actually stored on our servers now.
I don't really see a reason to limit mastery pages even when this is the case. Aside from the name (a text string), storing the actual pages should take very little storage space. One 15-byte value would do it for each entry. Less even, if you make some assumptions for optimization.

Vossik

05-08-2012

A simple solution to the problem would be doing what talent calculators on webpages do. Rather than storing the individual mastery trees have each one be a single string of data. It still would prevent cheating and allow the information for individual champs to trees to be stored client side.

Best Atheist NA

05-08-2012

In case you didn't know, you can rename your mastery and rune pages to the specific champion(s) they're used for.

an actual dog

05-08-2012

Why would you need more than 10 mastery pages anyway? There are only a handful of mastery setups you generally use, and it only takes a few seconds to make small alterations to a page in champion select if you need to do that.

LadyAzalea

05-08-2012

My masteries are all a bit different per character, even for say, 2 AD carries. I play on my laptop and don't have the ability to re-find a certain mastery page online before I start a game. Or the ability to remember where each difference lies between characters to change them between one to the other or the ability to remember that I'd changed them in the first place and then end up with essentially the wrong masteries for my chosen character...

Zielmann

05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAzalea View Post
My masteries are all a bit different per character, even for say, 2 AD carries. I play on my laptop and don't have the ability to re-find a certain mastery page online before I start a game. Or the ability to remember where each difference lies between characters to change them between one to the other or the ability to remember that I'd changed them in the first place and then end up with essentially the wrong masteries for my chosen character...
So the differences between two ranged AD champs is big enough that you must have a different mastery setup for each one (albeit slightly modified between the two), but the difference isn't important enough for you to remember or be able to figure out quickly while setting them what the change is? Sounds to me like the one or two points of difference isn't going to make or break the game if it isn't important enough to even remember what it is.

Sure, some champs that take the same role will need different masteries. Like a caster who uses mana versus one with a different resource. That's fine. But that difference should also be pretty obvious, and one page could easily be modified to fit either role.

Don't hold those online guides as the be-all-end-all way to set up a champion. Those should be used as a framework to adapt to how you play. That's why rune and mastery pages vary quite a bit between people.