Proposal: Please fix how AFK players affect ranked games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CounterSnipe

05-07-2012

Here's my idea. If you like it, please bump it and comment.

If a team loses a ranked game, and has at least one player on that team who was afk for an extended duration of the match, that team will have the loss forgiven an suffer no penalty in rank. The player who remained afk will be the only person on the team who suffers a loss in elo (It was his fault for the loss to begin with). Players who win the match will receive elo as usual.

It makes no sense to me that players should lose elo because:
1) Someone rage quits
2) Someone's playing on an old computer and can't connect well.
3) Someone has to go to bed...

Others may argue that this proposal is invalid because there has to be a balance in elo distribution. If someone loses, someone must win. To a point this makes sense. If both teams have an equal amount of players, then I agree, the losing team should lose elo and the winning team should gain elo (which is the system we currently have). But if the teams are not equal this rule should not apply.

Why is it fair to take elo from players that had absolutely nothing to do with the loss?
This is the question I want Riot to consider.

For me, playing in a game I know I'm going to lose is bad enough, but to punish my ranking even though there was nothing I could do to change the situation is taking it too far.

saldrith

05-08-2012

bump

Itonami Korosu

05-08-2012

bump but I don't necessarily agree with #2

shockinbox

05-08-2012

I think they should at least cushion it. If someone leaves early in the game they should lose about 36 ELO and their team should only lose around 6.

Then again i also think if someone queue dodges the other team should get a share of their lost ELO. It would only be like +2 ELO but I'm seriously ****ing tired of getting dodged when my team looks like it's going to destroy the other team.

Dorsia

05-08-2012

negatory lil buddy. too easily abused. let's say you and i are duo queued and losing badly. i dc and lose whatever i would have lost anyway, while you only lose half the elo.

in response to #1: part of your job in ranked is to keep your team calm and not wanting to rage quit. i know sometimes it can't be helped, but you gotta try

i don't think your second and third arguments are very strong either, as there is no way to really prove what someone's excuse/reason for a dc is. I understand it's frustrating, it's happened to us all. The more games you play the less rage quits you'll see, if you're trying to work as a team. And they'll happen on the other side just as often, so it tends to even out.