Tips before going into ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RenegadeGod

05-07-2012

I'm lvl 29 and halfway to ranked. I currently have 147 wins and 147 losses, exactly... But to help my future teammates and hopefully improve my game, I wish to ask a few questions.

1. How many regular normal games should I play/win before going in?
2. Should I duo-q with my friend for the first 10 ranked games?
3. What elo should I start building debuff removal items? QSS, Cleanse etc.
4. I've noticed that sometimes it is inevitable that the tank will get focused, should I continue applying pressure on their carries or help my team take out the tank?
5. When should I split push?
6. If I'm solo top, should I continue farming, if I'm under, or should I stay with my team? I solo top as singed, fiora.
7. If I'm jungling, should my lvl be on par with the bot lanes or the solo lanes?
8. How many minion kills should I average based on time? I currently have around 65-80 per 10 minutes.

Thank you for helping me out.

corallein

05-07-2012

The answer to almost all of your questions is, "Depends on the situation".

Olivia Chachi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeYuan96 View Post
I'm lvl 29 and halfway to ranked. I currently have 147 wins and 147 losses, exactly... But to help my future teammates and hopefully improve my game, I wish to ask a few questions.

4. I've noticed that sometimes it is inevitable that the tank will get focused, should I continue applying pressure on their carries or help my team take out the tank?
6. If I'm solo top, should I continue farming, if I'm under, or should I stay with my team? I solo top as singed, fiora.
7. If I'm jungling, should my lvl be on par with the bot lanes or the solo lanes?
8. How many minion kills should I average based on time? I currently have around 65-80 per 10 minutes.

well bro for Q. 1 the amount of regular games you have is probably fine. What you want though is a decent amount of champions and about 3 full rune pages.
2. Duo with your friend if you want.. It's not really an issue.
3. Depends on who you are and who they are. Not that big of an elo issue
4. depends really on everything in that situation
5. when their teamfight just absolutely crushes yours
6. depends on how far in the game is and something like dragon is up and your team is going to be able to fight for it
7. somewhat close to the bot lane levels, but you should always be under mid and top. just compare yourself to their jungle to see how you're doing
8. Minions/time isn't really a stat you can look at as itself and determine how good someone is. Just compare your cs to your counterpart (if you're AD carry, compare to their AD carry) to see how well you're doing in cs.

RenegadeGod

05-07-2012

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

Haen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeYuan96 View Post

1. It depends on your comfort level and knowledge of the game. Do you know who counters who? Do you know what items to build in certain situations? When to secure various map objectives? I've seen guys with 800 wins who still don't know these things and guys with 250 wins who execute them well.

2. Duo queuing is generally a good idea as you have good communication and can rely on at least one other person on your team.

3. Depends on enemy team comp. If you see a Malz/Warwick on their team, you probably want to invest in a QSS to get rid of their ults asap. It has nothing to do with ELO.

4. Situational. Everyone yells don't focus the tank, but tanks barely exist in this game anymore. Most tanks are bruisers these days who's goal is to kill the AD carry. So by walking up to them to get in range of their carry, you're doing them the favor of letting them tear you apart. Not saying you should always focus the bruisers running at you, but sometimes it is the right answer. If you're dead, you do zero damage.

5. Not gonna touch this. I'm bad at split pushing and in general dislike it. Win a team fight and then push. Don't force your team to fight 4v5. If you're ahead you even up the advantage you have and if you're behind there is no way you can win. Very few champions can split push without amazing map awareness because they just get ganked.

6. Situational. Can you push down a turret? What are you giving up to do so? If your team fights, loses and they get dragon,even if you get that turret, it was probably a bad call to stay.

7. In the new jungle you'll never be on par with the solo lanes. Don't fall behind bot.

8. This is a common question and personally I prefer to compare myself to the enemy laner. If I'm at 100 at 13 minutes, but the enemy has 120, I don't feel good even though 100 at 13 minutes is typically good.

Sentient23

05-07-2012

you need to get out there and rack up another 300 losses before you are gonna figure anything out for real

Xsilverpheonix

05-07-2012

I would say that around 300-400 normal games would give you a good feeling of the game. That will give you about 100 games for each role.

People say that duo queing is the way to go, I have never really duo qued. Solo queing requires you to adapt. By playing solo, you really place your elo in your own range. If you don't, then you are piggy backing on someone else.
That depends. I still don't in 1500. It depends what role and situation you are playing.
I would say the carries. Your team goes after the tank to peel them off of the caries. I mean fights are very fluid. The best case is your whole team is just able to disregard the tank and push the carries.
If you're playing YI or shen? I would stay stick witht he team most of the time. Split pushing is hardly viable.
Stay top. Get fed. Become relevent. You can move at any time, but if your opponent leaves, or you leave, the tower should go. Teleport is always good for top to be able to get back to lane if you gank.
I would say that it should be on par with the solo lanes. I mean it's definitely doable.
20 min bot can have around 220 ish? 200 is solid but most people don't get 200. If you have kills who cares tho? haha

Whoayeah

05-08-2012

First off, sorry for all the replies I didn't read, so if I say something that's said; Apologies.

But coming from a player who mains AD Carry; I'll answer several questions on an AD Carry's perspective; however not all roles have the same perspective.

1. I honestly don't think the amount of wins in normals matters that much. Sure it's a good indication of how much experience you have; but some people are faster or even slower learners than average. So I'll say learn how to play every role decently, but find a role you're really good at and learn how to play as multiple champions associated with that role (if banned, chosen, counter-picking). Also it might be better if you play some Normal Draft games if you've been playing Blind always, cause Draft is fairly similar to ranked.
2. I'd suggest duo-queue always due to the fact of having a single friend in there helps boost your confidence allowing better game performance. But in the end it doesn't really matter that much.
3. You should always build a few defensive items.. Even in normal games; it just depends on what you need. As an AD Carry I generally build my 4 main items before any defensive but if you really need to build defensively then get it early. Learning what to build and when really helps your performance.
4. As and AD Carry, team fights work as; Closest target/Highest priority. Due to the fact you can hurt anyone as equally as an AD Carry, and you don't wanna get caught in the middle and CC'd to death. So if a tank's closer to you and nothing else is kill the tank. If there's multiple options attack the highest priority which doesn't get you killed. Hopefully you understand what I mean.
5. Purely depends on universal objectives, and your team's objectives and on your team's dominance. If your team is clearly dominant then you have more freedom and can split push to apply the pressure, or if your team's on the other end you're very limited and pushing is a bad idea until you kill off several enemies.
6. Like split pushing, it does depend on universal objectives. It's also not only an issue for top lane. But mainly if you have a huge wave at your turret and an objective is soon to occur you'd wanna quickly push the lane off your tower and head towards the objective, so you don't miss out on a lot of CS to towers. And as far as pushing. I don't mean waiting for their health to drop and last hit; actually clear it with AoE spells ASAP, but I think you knew that. I'd also recommend you to learn more than said champions as they get countered by multiple other top lanes.
7. Jungle level doesn't really matter that much, as support does. They're both effective at any level. Best way is to compare your stats with the enemy of the same role, meaning it applies to all roles. If you're under a good idea is to grab some GP5 items for a decent income. Also if you do jungle, and fall behind it's better for you to gank like normal instead of farming back up.
8. As far as everything goes, CS is important for all roles; And best to be judged against the enemy of same role. Apart from Support who lower CS is generally better but it's situational. A rough average I have with AD Carry CS is roughly 180 CS/20 min. Which is all situational, you may get ganked really often, or even just get dominated by the enemy. But as an AD Carry, 180/20 min. is a great objective. But if you can't get 180/20 min. It doesn't mean you suck; It just means you can get better. Also CS falls off late game as you start to be more team fight focused rather than laning/farming.

Hope this all helps; Learning how to be good at something can't be taught in a single day. But feel free to add me for some advice if you want it; though I kinda did stop playing.

RenegadeGod

05-08-2012

Thank you for your advice!

GoldenTakeshi

05-09-2012

The thing about this game is there is no solid answer to any of your questions, the most important things that you should do are the following:

Be flexible in all regards (champ select, item build, where to go, who/when to focus, etc.)

Try to be what the team needs most

Realize that you WILL get a lot of trolls, feeders, rage quiters, jerks, *try* not to bring it with you into your next game

Learn counters (not just what champs counter what, but what items counter which champs, what playstyle counters what their team is doing, and very importantly what is countering YOU)

Try to learn how to play all the roles at least decently so you're never stuck