Help avoiding top jungle ganks.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirboom

05-07-2012

I have been having a terrible time avoiding ganks in the top lane. That early level 2-3 gank. I will be level 1-2, as they come up from purple's red buff. If I play defensive, they don't gank, and I don't farm, losing the lane. If I play farm, they gank, and I 60% die, and lose the lane. Starting cloth 5 or boots 3, I have limited money for wards. Cloth 5, I would have to run cloth 2 + ward, or boots 1+ ward. This gives me a distinct lane disadvantage.

However, they go through the same threat. I have a very hard time coming out ahead on this situation as the top laner. As the jungle, I have an 75% success rate at getting them to burn flash/ghost. I also have about 60% rate of picking up a kill (or assist).

Now, coordinated clear counters would consist of: Gank at their red, or steal. Ward top from your support. I have to learn better timings for jungle characters, and as to where they start usually, what timings on when they go blue->red->top etc.

TLR - Any tips as a top lane summoner to help survive/avoid jungle ganks and still not lose lane.

Ugawa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

Best I can say is ward the river, bring an escape summoner spell, don't push the lane, and use top brush to your advantage.

Kirboom

05-07-2012

I always have wards after first back, maybe I should back sooner.

I really think I just need to learn jungle timing better for the first 4 levels.

CorruptivSilence

05-07-2012

Is there a specific character you are having this problem with?
The thing that seems the most likely problem to me is that you are assuming farming = pushing and defensive = not farming.
You can play defensive and still farm; without pushing. How to do that can depend on your character, although the easiest way to do it is last hitting, and I suggest you watch a match using the new featured game observer mode to see how they do it.

If I am mistaken and you are in the center of the lane when you are being ganked, the problem may be that you are missing cues from the other player that the jungler is there. When he suddenly runs at you and engages all out you should be running back. Your flash, if you must burn it, should be enough to save you at level 3 if you started in the middle of the lane.

plutinoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-07-2012

It's very difficult to avoid level 2-3 ganks, just focus on playing defensive and farming the lane early game. Over-extending will get you killed more often than not. Focus on how the other character is playing. If you randomly notice that he is coming up onto you past your minions and you know you would usually be able to take him, back off. Have your support constantly using clairvoyance as soon as its up and whenever u expect anything. Other than the advice I can give you for before your first trip, just play defensive and think about what kind of jungler they are playing, If they are playing on a gank heavy champ like Alistar and Nautilus be aware of where they are at all times.

shadowgift

05-07-2012

ward is the key, just play defensive till u get some ( if u dont buy wards at lvl 1). if they turret dive u at lvl 3, enjoy your double kill

FatMii

05-07-2012

Another thing you could do is camp in the upper brush making it harder for the jungler to gank you.

Guildenstern42

05-07-2012

There's an advanced concept called freezing the wave of minons by focusing on balancing last hitting minions and poking the opposing champ. When you poke, their minions attack you instead of your minions which can cause them to be pushed back towards the enemy's turret. Obviously, auto attacking minions and not last hitting them will push them back as well but I assume you know the basic concept of last hitting.

So what you should try to do is try and control the wave so that it's "frozen" around your half of the river or closer to your turret while warding the river bush.

Ansh123

05-08-2012

Gank them yourself.
You can coordinate a gank VERY OFTEN

Whoayeah

05-08-2012

Sorry if this is mentioned in an above post.

I say depending on your side (Blue V Purple) Ward the Tri-bush aswell as the river or even the wall bush (Ninja ganks). There's several other places you can ward but generally you get the idea.

Try to also get familiar with who you're against and a possible jungle pattern for their champion. (Not all champions start at blue)

Map awareness is key. Before you say that how can you have map awareness if the jungler is always MIA? That is clearly not true. If your support has CV or you see him on someone's ward which isn't in the Top - River area then you know he's not gonna gank you due to him being on the other side of the map. Likewise if you see him gank another lane then you know he can't gank you (Low health/farming/buying/too far away).
Use that to your advantage; if you know where the enemy jungler is, Be aggressive, if you don't, be defensive. (Also counts if you see the enemy jungler die).

Apart from that try not to over extend. Don't push your lane; just last hit. If your enemy is being really aggressive and pushing your lane and missing a lot of CS; even if you lose your tower you're still winning as long as you don't die and you keep CSing.