Why is "first time" champs allowed in ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eudas

05-07-2012

Can the game not be set-up so that you cannot play a champ in ranked unless you've won at least 1-5 games on X champ in Normal mode?

I am in low elo, 1100 range. I'll go with "there is no elo hell" but it doesn't help my cause when some guy is herp derp on a first time champ and is playing absolutely poorly making it even more difficult to rank up.

I play ranked in attempts to better my position and when this happens - You say something to this guy.. Why would you play a champ in ranked for the first time? Then they instantly go into defensive mode, blaming you, telling you that you suck, they know what they are doing blah blah blah. So they feed some more or even better, they are 0-1 but are rocking out an amazing 20 CS compared to the other AD who has 75 and they say, I am only 0-1-0 leave me alone.

We all know how this game works. Then your lane opponent betters your CS by double, triple you may as well have died to them a couple of times.

I hear that junk, and I tell them they are bad, noob, wasting your time etc. Then they get upset and say, well you are reported for harassing me, I am just here to have a good time.

If you are trying to casual it up then why not play normals?

You can't hard code a game to determine if a guy is gonna intentionally feed or go afk or just play badly. You can hardcore it so people can not first time champs in ranked especially the free week summoner ones.

The argument would be, well if they have no support the free week champ gives them support. I'd personally rather see a 2nd AD carry bottom, or a bruiser, tank whatever that has played that champion several times then to see some guy just pick a first time champ because he wants to either test him out or the team says "you're last pick play support" and so he doesn't get bashed goes and plays Taric for the first time in his life with his str rune page.

I know some guy is going to post, "just shut-up and deal with it" and I ask the question how is that fair? It is ok for some guy to play a first time champ in ranked, not caring at all how he performs but if I say something to him about it then I am instantly harassing him because he is just "minding his own business" trying to play League of Legends...

I don't see why hard coding something like that into the game is a problem.... Ranked it supposed to be for those who want competitive game play. You go learn and practice in normals, hell even dominion or 3v3 I do not care but you should not be competing unless you have some sort of a grasp on how the champion you are going to play performs.....

Noshamwow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

I made a thread about this subjext about 2 weeks ago.
My idea was that you cannot play a champion in Ranked until you have 10 wins in Normal with that champ, inlcuding the free champs of the week.
edit
@FlyingElf - I didnt think of the swapping of champions between drafting positions.
Maybe 5 wins would be enough to be considered for this idea.

Haen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

Which is great in theory, until you tell me I can't pick Kog'Maw for my friend I'm duoing with.

Perfect example I had once. Since bot isn't so much a counter pick lane. I take Kog for him. Other team then locks Brand as their mid. I take Xerath because Brand can't deal with his range or easily trade with him. We both win lane hard, win game.

Eudas

05-07-2012

There are downsides to this but even so...

That maybe the case running a duo but here is the thing. If you are gonna duo well then you should crush a duo team 5v5 normal game to get the wins you need for X champion that you may want to use in a ranked match.

There are downsides to everything but the upside of taking away 1 element that I have no doubt frustrates the majority of the low end elo community would be amazing.

Everyone plays the random non-ranked games to get to level 30 and then it can possibly just stop and you can rank game for the rest of your life.

No reason if you pick-up a new champ you can't knock out 5-10 wins with that champ before taking it to rank.

I think 10 wins is ideal but that is a lot and for the casual gamer could take a little time to achieve. I'd be happy with 3-5 normal game wins or 10 games total, whichever comes first just for the purposes of ensuring the guy playing said champ has had some exposure.

Foxichu

05-07-2012

Well if you think about it, at lower Elo people generally don't swap/take first picks. And at upper elo, people aren't so ****ing stupid as to take a champ they've never played before. So I'd support this.

Leonixxiii

05-07-2012

My argument is sometimes you have to make an unexpected pic... Losing a better choice just cause you lost count on that one champ isn't a good solution.

I get what your saying, but thats allot of wins needed just to make sure all your champions are good to go... Also it doesn't help when you unlock a champ, bang out 10 wins, and then never touch that champ for a month or two until you just happen to need then your like "How does this guy go again?"

Kavrae

05-07-2012

The number of wins or uses would need to be ironed out a lot more, but I support this idea.

Dudleydino

05-07-2012

Reasoning behind it is solid, but this won't work.

Say I'm last pick, have to support. I usually AD carry, so I have all the AD carries but I only have sona and blitzcrank for support. The only problem is that blitz is banned, and sona has been picked by the other team.

Soraka's free. I know her skill set very well, since I play AD carry, but I haven't actually played her.
Looks like I'll have to support kogmaw.

Eudas

05-08-2012

Again, I would rather see 2 AD bottom if the last pick has every AD and knows their skills and how to last hit rather than to have a never been played before Soraka.

In low elo, I firmly believe that general player skill far out weighs what has been adopted as standard game play.

These games are decided in 20 minutes because people so really silly stuff and die. You going Soraka isn't going to be the same level of play as Joe who plays support in 90% of their games. Your AD who you are supporting isn't going to know of you being first time Soraka 9/10x so he is going to assume you know what you are doing and play like it. He will die being foolish because he thinks you got his back, then he starts yelling at you. Then you start yelling at him because you say he sucks and you play AD 90% of your games and you'd crush his world.

The team is demoralized 1-2 people are being reported for harassment or feeding or afk.

This is where communication during pick kicks in to say, hey I can't support I don't have champs.

Do you know how many first time Varus I have played with or against today in ranked? 4 so far and of those 4, none have been on winning teams. But they are so quick to say, o yeah man Varus is such an OP champ just watch. He is so OP.

It is a joke.

Senseman

05-08-2012

24-5 my first game as fiora in ranked?

Most champions are not hard to play at all you only have 4 moves per champion and generally you have an idea of how to build them if not they'res always the internet..

Your purely complaning about a troll who was going to play badly no matter who he picked.