Need to know how to play top.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zygen360

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2012

So I mainly play AP mid as my primary role. I've played every other role. Except for top. Which I play maybe once every like forever. And only when I really have to.
Problem is I have no idea how to play it. I understand it isn't a poke down war and nuke them after that like mid typicaly ends up being but I don't really know how to play it.

I want to be versitile and able to play whatever lane I need except I don't have any idea how to play top really.
Any tips tricks strats good choices runes maybe even masterys whatever you wana offer. stuff like that is nice. And I know counter picking is part of top but typically I don't jump into draft mode untill I know how to do something, And top isn't something I know how to do.

Thanks to any advice you can give.

Rushil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2012

learn to farm and control your waves. Always ward bush and tri if you are pushing. Based on the strength of your enemies jungler decide whether pushing is worth it.
oh
try not to die

Zygen360

05-06-2012

Forums moving quiet fast I see....

Jakob

05-06-2012

watch featured games in spectator mode. follow what a top laner does. think why he does what he does, why he builds what he builds, when he goes back, how much his focus is on cs vs. hitting the opponent, when he moves to gank mid or otherwise, when he plays defensively because he thinks he's being ganked, why the person who picked a top laner after the first one was picked used that specific champion as a counter-pick etc.

spectator mode is an INCREDIBLE resource for learning. i can't wait for a replay system to simply download the files of spectated games to pass on to friends etc.

Zygen360

05-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
watch featured games in spectator mode. follow what a top laner does. think why he does what he does, why he builds what he builds, when he goes back, how much his focus is on cs vs. hitting the opponent, when he moves to gank mid or otherwise, when he plays defensively because he thinks he's being ganked, why the person who picked a top laner after the first one was picked used that specific champion as a counter-pick etc.

spectator mode is an INCREDIBLE resource for learning. i can't wait for a replay system to simply download the files of spectated games to pass on to friends etc.
This is actually a really good idea that slipped my mind.
I'ma try this sometime

RealMithron

05-06-2012

Know when you're countered, are countering, and when it's just a survive lane. Know how to keep lane frozen in your favor, or keep pushed if you're on a champ that can farm under tower very well. Know how to harass favorably and when to save cool downs to escape ganks. If you fall behind, don't be stupid, top snowballs way harder than any other lane. Most top laners scale more off levels than gold. Know when Doran Blades/Rings are wise. Prepare to counter jungle and support mid.

Faeces

05-06-2012

Watch Wingzofdeathx / HotShotGG streams , they're both good top lane players I bet you'll learn a lot

as both ( well mainly Wingz ) explain the reasons why they do this and that / counterpicking etc etc

builds if you want .

edit : Learn how to ward vs junglers like Noc and ap mids like TF , map awareness is everything since most of the times the jungler won't babysit you ;]

Zygen360

05-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMithron View Post
Know when you're countered, are countering, and when it's just a survive lane. Know how to keep lane frozen in your favor, or keep pushed if you're on a champ that can farm under tower very well. Know how to harass favorably and when to save cool downs to escape ganks. If you fall behind, don't be stupid, top snowballs way harder than any other lane. Most top laners scale more off levels than gold. Know when Doran Blades/Rings are wise. Prepare to counter jungle and support mid.
How do i learn to freze the lane in my favor?

Rushil

05-06-2012

freezing lane is basically tanking the enemy minions so they don't reach your tower. As they build up you last hit them. Your oppenent is forced to over extend to cs. If he does your jungler can gank and secure a kill. If he doesn't then you are effectively zoning him. Lane freezing is one of the most important things you can learn about top lane. Like the previous poster said top lane is extremely snowbally. Dieing top is a huge setback that good players won't let you recover from. Watch your cs and don't focus on harrasing too much(unless you know you will win trades)

Zygen360

05-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushil View Post
freezing lane is basically tanking the enemy minions so they don't reach your tower. As they build up you last hit them. Your oppenent is forced to over extend to cs. If he does your jungler can gank and secure a kill. If he doesn't then you are effectively zoning him. Lane freezing is one of the most important things you can learn about top lane. Like the previous poster said top lane is extremely snowbally. Dieing top is a huge setback that good players won't let you recover from. Watch your cs and don't focus on harrasing too much(unless you know you will win trades)
Ok. All try and find out how to do this.