How is elo given?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necropolistic

05-06-2012

Hello Fellow Summoners, I don't post on the forums but I decided I would for this since it's been buggin me for a while.

I've been playing league for almost a year now, and started playing ranked probably a couple of months ago. Now, when I first started ranked it was probably too early for me to start, but short story I lost my first game because of a ragequitter and then kept losing after that until I was probably around 2/7 (W/L) then stopped playing ranked for a while except for the odd game here or there to increase my skill and knowledge of the game.

I have recently started playing ranked again more commonly and am doing much better in it (I have won my last 4 ranked games). My current "ELO" rating is 1057. Yes, it sounds bad. But guess what my win loss ratio is. Guessed yet? You probably guessed wrong. I have 34 wins and 29 losses in ranked (54% win ratio). Think I'm a feeder or troll? Think again. I've never intentionally fed (although like all other normal people i've admittedly had bad games). I've also never been banned and strive to never be banned.

My overall Kill/Death/Assist score is 323/339/494. I obviously don't carry every game but it certainly isn't a terrible score, considering I have champion scores like 0/25/26 as alistar (Admittedly I'm not the best support and don't claim to be). Now I look around at all my friends who are 23/20 or 15/11 in terms of wins and losses with 1300+ Elo and can't help thinking "What's the difference?"

So I guess my question is how is elo given. I've had games where I've done very well (example being 7/1/1) yet only gotten 8 elo. I've also had a game where I won the game and the blue elo addition number was 17 yet I knew my previous elo and found that I had only recieved 7 elo instead of 17 (968->975). I'm think these are glitches and hope they can be fixed.

I am trying very hard to get out of "elo hell" yet I find that in order to do so i'd have to have around a 60% or more winning percentage in order to break even. Even players like TheOddOne and Chaox from TSM don't have 60% win ratios. Infact, TheOddOne's K/D ratio is similar to mine. So What do I have to do? It seems impossible to get out of the bottom even when i'm winning. I hope riot has the potential power to change someone's elo.

Yours truly,
Necropolistic

ForgivEnemy

05-06-2012

I would have to imagine your ELO and how much you earn for a win or lose for a loss isn't based on your score, or your teams score but rather based on the opponents you play and what their ELO ranking is. For example if you are 1300 and your team is 1300 average ELO (hypothetical) and the opposing team
s average ELO say is 1390 then you should get more ELO for that win compared to if you played a team who's collective ELO was 1250.

Necropolistic

05-06-2012

/bump. I'd really like riot to look at this and see if there have been things they should fix in this. Let me know if anyone else has had ELO problems.

Thanks,
Necropolistic

Moogra2u

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2012

I've look at it before under a few charts and how it progresses.
First 10 matches in both normal and ranked help seed your position. The elo gain and loss are enormous, going from 40-50 or so on average. Once this position is found, then the gain in elo is slower. Normal and ranked games are both determined by your normal elo. When you do solo queue, your elo is matched with others that are doing the same until a game is found. The longer you wait, the bigger the elo difference will be. If you win, you will gain elo, and if you lose, you will lose elo. It is based solely if you win or lose a game. The gain and loss amount is also scaled on the average elo. Say you are grouped with 1700 average elo and you are 1000. Your gain will be very large while your team's gain will be little (this situation would happen only in premades) if you win. If you lose, you will not lose much either. However, you gain more elo than you lose in the exact situation (so you might gain 12 for winning, -10 for losing) so theoretically you only need to win 45% of your gains to move up.

Win ratio has nothing to do with this though. There are smurfs that purposely dodge to low elo (dodging does not take elo in normals though) who have incredible win ratios and are low elo still.