Mumble positional audio support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ader10

05-06-2012

Mumble is a popular, open-source voice conference program aimed toward gamers. It is superior to Skype, TS3, Vent, and Dolby Axon in terms of simplicity, resources, and sound quality.

Mumble has support for positional audio. Here's an example of positional audio being used

League of Legends should support Mumble's positional audio. I would prioritize this over implementing a replay system because of the combination of these reasons:

• This is fast and easy. The code is already written for you. It would take a week of work. (absolute maximum; it really only needs a day).
  • This would benefit everyone who uses Mumble to communicate for LoL
  • The Mumble Link interface is cross-platform. No need to worry about another thing to port for the beta OS X client.
  • Riot would gain reputation among serious gamers and in the open source world. Free PR, anyone?

Straw Hat Teemo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2012

I'd like and support this.

That Other Guy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

Mumble also happens to be buggy as ****. That's why me and my friends switched to TS3 ages ago. Seriously we got to the point where we would rather go back to TS2 despite its crappy sound quality than keep using Mumble.

Besides the only advantage Mumble has over TS3 is text to speech, which isn't needed if the person is in-game with you anyway.

seleleth

05-07-2012

Positional audio when playing a first-person-perspective game makes a lot of sense. In a widescreen overhead view game, why would you want--or how would you even notice--anything mroe than stereo sound?

ader10

05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00011011S View Post
Mumble also happens to be buggy as ****. That's why me and my friends switched to TS3 ages ago. Seriously we got to the point where we would rather go back to TS2 despite its crappy sound quality than keep using Mumble.

Besides the only advantage Mumble has over TS3 is text to speech, which isn't needed if the person is in-game with you anyway.
My friends and I have never had issues with Mumble being buggy. Its bug reports are all pretty isolated cases.
Mumble uses less resources, has better sound quality, and is simpler to set up than TS3. That's 3 advantages. Positional audio would just be a 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seleleth View Post
Positional audio when playing a first-person-perspective game makes a lot of sense. In a widescreen overhead view game, why would you want--or how would you even notice--anything mroe than stereo sound?
Positional audio may not be as helpful in LoL as in a FPS game, but it removes one more thing to think about when communicating, and generally helps awareness.

That Other Guy

05-07-2012

If that's true it must have improved dramatically in the past year or so since we used it, but a year is a long time in a development cycle after all.

ader10

05-08-2012

I started using Mumble less than a year ago. Maybe those bugs have been fixed.

SadiraKI3

11-23-2012

it used to work, but i think theyt stopp updating it, i miss the plugin