Dominion Playstyle: Same but Different

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brycearoni

05-05-2012

Now clearly Dominion is no Summoners Rift and the majority of LoL players can understand that (yes, the majority). However, a lot of people don't understand the mechanics of this gamemode compared to Summoners Rift so hopefully I can shed a little light on the subject.

Let's keep this thread productive and offer constructive criticism - not banter or trollfood.

The five positions in Summoners Rift (in a huge general sense) are beefy Solo Top, AP Carry / AP Fighter mid, Ranged AD / AD Carry bot, AP Support / Tank, and Jungler (who is often a tank or carry). Now setting aside all those titles lets look at the core of team fighting: Tank initiates, Carry does a ton of damage and others poke or commit accordingly. (Remember this is just a huge generality). Now, lets apply a similar approach to the Crystal Scar and hopefully a similar play style should appear.

Positions
The ideal way to play Crystal Scar from what I have observed is a Solo Bot (much like the Solo Top on Summoners Rift), a Tank top, an AP Top, an AD Top, and a Roamer who assists bot and top and mid (very much related to the 5v5 Jungler).

Solo Bot
This bot usually has great survivability as well as decent damage output; basically an all around great champ. Someone like, Garen, Jax, or Lanewick does well here. Most bots don't use Promote or Smite but I'm going to tell you why when you bot you should ALWAYS use one of the two. I love playing bot and have enormous success playing it mainly because you don't really get to be a teamplayer, let me explain. The whole point of a solo bot is maintaining pressure on the bottom turret, forcing the enemy team to always keep an eye on bot. For this reason, Solo Bot should hardly ever go top or mid. His goal is to push push push push push until the enemy team can't take enough of you. When playing bot, farm minions, poke your opponent, and initiate when possible for the kill. If done correctly, you should get very fed and force another enemy to always stay bot or even switch. The reason Smite or Promote is great on a Solo Bot is because with Promote you can push even faster and harder. You often times dont even need to manually capture the point, you can just farm the minions at their spawn and promote a minion to cap it for you. Similarly, if your opponent uses Promote on you, whats a great summoner spell to counter that super minion? Why Smite of course! Another tip I can give is that for a starting item, don't invest in boots, but rather invest in damage or survivability, for example; on Jax I buy a Sheen and 3 Health Pots. Sheen lets me dominate the lane and usually even get a kill within the first minute. On Garen I buy Armor/MR, Health, and Boots so I have high survivability (and we all know Garen has great DPS).
summary: Bot pushes and puts pressure on their bot

Roamer
An incredibly underplayed, undervalued position: The Roamer. Roamers need an incredibly high movement speed or incredibly good initiation to skip around the map and preform ganks; example: Shaco with a Phantom Dancer, Mobility Boot Nautilus. Now being a Roamer gives you a couple of tasks. Help gank Bot, help gank Top, and if all else fails, distract the enemy team by running through the jungle and capturing their mid. The idea is simple, ganking Bot allows Bot to gain an advantage over the other bot, thus allowing you to obtain their bot turret. Ganking Top allows your team to capture the most easily defendable turret and the most time consuming to capture (because of it's position on the map). And if all else fails go through the jungle can cap the mid or neutralize it so the enemy team stops getting points. If the enemy has four top and one bot, and you start capturing mid, they will leave their lanes to stop you from capturing, and if they dont, you just got a free turret! Great summoner spells for this position are Ghost and Flash and Exhaust.
summary: Ganking puts your team ahead

The "Core"
Or rather, the Tank, AP and AD who go top and whose job it is to stay top, defend it, and make the other team QQ because they cant capture it. 90% of the time you can just defend top and the other 10% consists of going B and pushing minions. Great summoner spells for this position differ for the different champs. Generally Tanks should stick with Flash and Heal (for easy initiating and keeping themselves/teammates alive). AD's should stick with Ghost and Exhaust or Flash (it's good to have two Ghosts on a team). AP's should grab Ignite, Exhaust, or Flash. (Exhausts are great ways of slowing and dealing with DPS champs).
summary: Defending top means the other team can't have it

Early Game
Bot should capture bot and everyone else should run top. There should be a member in those four who cap mid (generally the roamer but it can be anyone besides the tank, you need him for ganking!). After the initial captures the roamer should B, spend his gold, and go bot or top accordingly. (I recommend going B because its a fairly decent mid point between top and bot).

Things to Remember
Feeding does matter.
Carries should be fed.
Tanks should initiate and survive.
The buff in the middle is great for the roamer, usually leave it for him.
Health packs are great, use them and steal them from your enemies.
Garrison is worthless (lmao), jk it can be useful in the right hands.

Now this was just a basic guide, not super in depth, but hopefully it should get some people to understand the Crystal Scar a bit better

Thanks for your time
~Bryce

inFe eD

05-05-2012

What you list is one of many possible comps that can be run on Dominion. The roles within a team are nowhere near as cookie cutter as on SR and not as easily pigeonholed.

N1ghtmareC1nema

05-05-2012

I think you should add revive under your suggested summoner's spells for...well for everyone. Also smite? Rarely do I see people who take promote, and for that 1% chance that they do, I'm not going to try to counter it with smite. I'm just going to kill their super minion and have a useful summoner's spell to use on the champion. I could *maybe* see it being potentially useful against Malz or Heimer, but I'd rather counter that with Yi.

Also I'd take a look at your decision not to buy boots for bottom lane. I think it's invaluable. For example, I love it when my enemies don't get boots, because when I can harass them down to low health and go in for the kill, they can't run away from me. It also helps control the health relic and helps avoid skill shots. I can't imagine not starting with boots.

Brycearoni

05-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFe eD View Post
What you list is one of many possible comps that can be run on Dominion. The roles within a team are nowhere near as cookie cutter as on SR and not as easily pigeonholed.
Yeah I know, I'm just talking about generalities :3

Aparkhurst

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycearoni View Post
Ganking puts your team ahead
"nope" -mmkh

The Elk

05-05-2012

Quote:
Or rather, the Tank, AP and AD who go top and whose job it is to stay top, defend it, and make the other team QQ because they cant capture it. 90% of the time you can just defend top and the other 10% consists of going B and pushing minions.
Please don't tell people to do this. It is no one's job to "stay top." Because an even moderately competent team will go somewhere else while you have 3 people sitting on the windmill keeping it warm. Only the most insane throw themselves at windmill after losing every fight there.

Quote:
Generally Tanks should stick with Flash and Heal (for easy initiating and keeping themselves/teammates alive).
Flash is an odd choice for most tanks on dominion. It can be good, but garrison will likely be better.

Quote:
Garrison is worthless (lmao), jk it can be useful in the right hands.
This statement fills me with sadness.

A12MO12

05-05-2012

promote and smite?

I play bottom quite a bite and I happen to be pretty decent at it, and I never take promote or smite.
If your going bot, at higher elo, the summoners I see all the time are always revive/garrison, revive/exhaust, revive/ignite and sometimes garrison/exhaust.

Jax can work bottom, garen however gets murdered by popular bottoms such as yorick, urgot, cass.

Another thing, I know bot is supposed to push and put pressure on bot opponent but in the higher elo, overextending your lane 90% of the time ends in a gank unless there is already a team fight going on. Even if you do kill them, they can revive right back and pick you off should you stay trying to cap.

The role of bot changes from push and apply pressure to, defend your tower and be wary overextending. Being bot you have to play mind games on your opponent. Early on if your team can send a few ganks bot and do this 2-3 times you can make your opponent paranoid of ganks. This will give you a slight edge in last hitting because generally they won't push as much. This does not mean you should push aggressively because you can easily be counter ganked. However having your opponent be paranoid of ganks can throw their game off a bit, enough so you can land a kill if they overextend a bit.

On the note of roamers, in higher elo or against more skilled opponents, this doesn't work as much. Why?
because they travel in a pack and they buy oracles/sweepers to counter stealth champs. Sure you can have rammus or kassadin ganking bot lane but they will be facing someone hugging tower probably with garrison who can revive right away and then top will be short handed as well.

The only good roamers I have seen is kassadin (especially if the kassaderp is sauron, he ganked me like no tomorrow), and to some extent hecarim. Although hecarim is terrible 1 v 1 so they must be low health for his ganks to work.

defending top is important but you shouldn't have just your tank there for 2 reasons. One is that a good team will always attempt to gank people going to top through jungle or they will try and catch bot off guard by telling the bot player to take a few hits to bait him. And if tank is top while there is a 3-4 man gank bot they'll likely neutralize if not cap bot and you could have the 5th man split push to either top or their mid amongst the confusion.

I would generally say once a team caps top they all go in jungle and wait to pick someone off or if they see the enemy team going top they all follow suit.

Your guide is pretty decent for low-mid range elo but in the 1900s+ is when you notice changes to the gameplay.

Orphane

05-05-2012

I uh....

While well intentioned, there are points in this that just don't hold up.

You've completely overlooked Revive, while simultaneously stressing uptime, when Revive is the single spell that will guarantee that you are alive when you need it the most. It also gives a large amount of bonus health, which is a great deal of survivability, especially early in the game.

There's no real reason to only have one "designated" roamer - everyone on the team should be prepared to move on the map to where they can facilitate kills or ganks. Sitting in the bush north of Storm Shield, going bot, waiting near Speed Shrines: when you jump people in the jungle on their way to a node without overextending yourself, you put that person in respawn and now the enemy team has to be more careful on where they try to apply pressure because they're a man down.

You should never sit still on a tower, or anywhere in plain sight- even if you're recalling, step into the fog to do it. Vision on Dominion is everything - if they know where you are, that's one less person that could be ganking or waiting in ambush. Never be complacent and stand at a node doing nothing even if you are committed to defending it, because the enemy team will take advantage of your idleness and attack your other nodes - now you have to run off the point you were standing at and they have a good idea of when you're showing up.

You've outright dismissed Garrison when it is probably one of the most useful spells alongside Revive and Exhaust. It can be used offensively or defensively, and proper usage of it means you can hold a point 2v1, or even 3v1, or take a point you would have had no chance of taking before. It benefits everyone on your team who is at the node being Garrisoned.

Smite and Promote are situational spells - if you were running a counterpush lane against someone like Malzahar smite could be usable but then you might as well use Garrison to save points. There are many champions, all of them strong bottom lane, who are well capable of pushing faster than most people can handle even without Promote. Using it to cap a point you've already guaranteed through pushing is a waste of a Summoner Spell.

Finally, like people said before, there are not fixed roles you *must* have even though composition is important. It's as possible to win with 5 bruisers, as it is 2 tanks, 1 bruiser, 1 ad, and 1 ap character. Most champs can perform well in Dominion if in the right hands.