Why did Riot give up on Dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skeeep

05-04-2012

Since they completely removed ELO the game has become a cesspool. I hope they didn't give up because of balancing issues because, I for one do not think they were far off from fixing what few problems Dominion had left.

A12MO12

05-04-2012

http://lolmatches.com

They removed jabebot but that link is a site that shows yours hidden dominion elo.
If you want it to update all your games then just download the client and run it in the background while you play. Otherwise it updates randomly.

edit: the search is in a tab on the right side.

naotasan

05-04-2012

lolmatches is just an estimate and can be up to 300 points off from your actual Elo.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Kanerax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by naotasan View Post
lolmatches is just an estimate and can be up to 300 points off from your actual Elo.

Just thought you'd like to know.
Is the normal/dominion Elo shown for players accurate?

Yes, it is the exact rating that is sent from the League of Legends server; we do not run any calculations to generate your normal/dominion Elo.

Taken from the faq

http://lolmatches.com/faq

Glorious Bird

05-04-2012

They never cared. They didn't care for TT either and only balanced extremely game breaking stuff that didn't impact SR.

The funny thing is it wouldn't be that hard to implement mode only game changes.

Simple fact is the money is in SR.

DiscworldDeath

05-05-2012

A12MO12, "randomly" is not the exact phrase I'd use. It updates whenever you play in a game with someone who has the client installed.

naotasan, it shows the Elo you had before the last game you played with someone who had the client installed. If the last time you've played with such a person was 3 weeks ago, then it'd be 3 weeks' worth of Elo behind.
In your case, it's updated as of 2:50 AM this morning, at some clock, probably PDT. It even says "Last Match". Here's your profile:
http://lolmatches.com/player/na/23176472/naotasan

The numbers are accurate, and had been verified using lolnotes or Nekrobot. Nekrobot and Lolmatches both run off of lolnotes.

GeneralDirection

05-05-2012

The common misconception is that elo was "taken away" when jabebot's functions were suspended. The truth is that normal Dominion elo never left, it is merely hidden as it was once before. Proof of this exists as the more net wins you accumulate, the longer your search times become. The longer search times are issued because a "higher elo" player has fewer people to be matched evenly with.

As for Dominion's balancing issues, at high levels of gameplay, there are a few reoccurring elements found in each game that are difficult to to stray away from, i.e. a common one is known as the "tanky dps meta". It is also difficult to balance out champions when Riot insists on using the same numbers and abilities for champions on 3 different maps. There are a lot of issues going on with Dominion, but they aren't always so easy to just glance at them and know what's going on.

Redeemed In Fire

05-05-2012

I like how people interpret Riot's lack of action as a lack of interest >.> They've said multiple times that they have stuff they want to do to Dominion but they're working out what changes exactly need to happen. I seem to remember they even brought in high level Dom players for some sort of survey to gather information...

Ahhhh Crap

05-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
I like how people interpret Riot's lack of action as a lack of interest >.> They've said multiple times that they have stuff they want to do to Dominion but they're working out what changes exactly need to happen. I seem to remember they even brought in high level Dom players for some sort of survey to gather information...
its easy to feel ignored when anything remotely related to Dominion gets dumped in this forum that Riot never visits. There's a thread somewhere with a bazillion pages of people saying 'ok' as a gag about rammus- and theres a pretty huge number of riot posts in that thread, multiple times with a variety of red names and of the same people saying 'ok'.

Now anything that's related to Dom gets shoved here, riots rarely visit or address threads with meaningful gripes, while other areas of the forums do not get similarly shunned.

Yes, its partly that the community 'feels' ignored- its also that Riot has helped create an atmosphere of Dom being shunned.

Vaticide

05-05-2012

The two main reasons I think are:

1) Riot does not want to have multiple "games" competing with each other (Summoners Rift, Dominion, Twisted Treeline). Although they have a big player base, having these game modes compete with each other will cause them to have a divided player base meaning less people on stream, at big IPL like events, and less revenue for them. This will also lead to less money for Season 1/2 etc. Which will cause the "professional" scene to collapse as people will not be earning enough money by strictly playing LoL.

2) It is very difficult for Riot right now to balance Summoners Rift as it stands with the 100(?) champions they have, adding in balance for Dominion would be near impossible I think unless they split the champions to have specific stats in SR and different stats in Dominion. Which is, I think hard to implement/time consuming for Riot to do, which will stop them from doing other projects like the Observers, Replays, In-Game pause, Stealth Rework... etc.