Owning with Blitzcrank

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2012

In honor of free-week and for lack of dominion guides,

Blitzcrank is a tanky DPS with relatively low damage but very high utility and excellent chase/initiation.

Pick Blitz when your team is high damage and/or mostly melee or short range.

AVOID Blitz when your team has other low-damage "supportish" champions, or has several ranged champs.

What Blitz wants:
* Survivability. He has pretty high health naturally, so armor/MR are best.

* CDR - KING. Faster knockups, more grab attempts, Ult availibility.

* Mana - Every 4ish mana (8g) gives you 1 virtual health (2.5) through his shield. Technically 2mana per 1, BUT the shield does NOT factor in armor/MR. Think of this as a BONUS, but DO NOT CHASE MANA!! Dominion gives Blitz all he needs unlike Summoners Rift map.

* AD - Blitz has decent Attack speed permanently (65% AS with maxed W), so AD is best for increasing his damage.

Blitz does NOT really want:

* AP - it just doesn't do enough for him with only a 1.0 Ult and 1.0 grab. AD works better for sustained output and his base numbers are good enough for decent burst.

* mana (as stated above... don't buy mana just for funzies)

* AS - doesnt hurt but its not really ideal.

* crit - Actually crit is great, but he just doesn't have the build space to get it.

Mastery/Rune/etc:
I go 21 defense to make him tankier with 9 offense (AD, AS, armor pen). Full offense doesn't really work all that great with him.
Red armor penetration or AD.
Yellow armor.
Blue magic resist per level.
Quints: any. I get more APen but theres lots of good choices.

I take Ghost and Exhaust. You could sub something else for Ghost as desired.

Skillz:
Q - Rank GRAB first. +60 dmg per rank adds more burst and -1 sec cooldown for no extra mana cost. This helps ensure that when you grab someone you can Fist/Ult them to about 1/2 life and your buddy can finish em off.
W - 2% MS and 10% AS per rank. Not awful and the AS gives you sustained dps. I usually take last though.
E - powerfist adds 1 sec CDR per level. MUCH better once you get Sheen/TriForce, so I max this as soon as I get my triforce.

Itemization:
------------

Boots, Pros Blade - The 500g health, 600g AD, 200ish lifesteal is hard to argue with.
You NEED boots to start with and AD is useful. You COULD skip this and start with boots, ruby, sapphire.

-> Ionic Boots - quick CDR upgrade, plus movespeed booster.

+ Glacial Shroud - Another really fast CDR upgrade, along with a quick mana pool boost.
-> Frozen Heart Plus it sets you up armor-wise, and the aura is very strong in dominion.

(optional Negatron here for extra MR to balance out the armor as needed)

+ Sheen - AP is so-so, as is the mana pool upgrade. The main thing we want is the PROC which is worth a lot of gold. Explained later.

-> TriForce - Incredible item for Blitz, mostly due to the damage proc. All aspects are usable by Blitz, even the mana and AP which normally are almost useless on tanky DPS.

After this core, you can take whatever. I USUALLY get more Defense so I can tank better. Some good choices are:

Hexdrinker/Maw - solid AD source with magical protection built in. This kind of makes up for manamune AD loss.
Aegis of Legion - strong general defense with sharing. You usually need MR anyways, so this has that plus health plus a bit of AD.
Last Whisper - solid offense.
Odins Veil - health, MR, mana. All good stuff and helps vs physical quite a bit due to health/mana.
Black Cleaver - general purpose offense.
Atmas? - Meh. You don't build THAT much health so this isn't that amazing.

NOTE that if you need more magic resistance early, grab a Negatron! Its cheap and you can always upgrade it way later. Don't sit at 200armor and 70 MR for most of the game if they have a lot of magical damage!
Or grab an antimagic or two for later usage into some of the above items.

WHY Sheen/Triforce?
Blitz has a Powerfist with a unique property. It resets autoattack, knocks up, and doubles all damage dealt. What this means is that a Blitzcrank @18 deals 117/176 with sheen/tri, which is DOUBLED on knockup!
That means every 3 seconds (with 40% CDR), Blitz gets a free autoattack that will deal +352 damage ON TOP of his normal AD (doubled)!
352 damage is 7000+ gold worth of AD for that 1 hit! Even proccing every 3rd or 4th attack, you can see that it adds a good chunk of burst and the proc is extremely valuable.
Blitz also enjoys the AD/movespeed/health a lot, and the crit/AS/mana/AP/slow-proc somewhat.

Tips and Tricks:
----------------

1) You can stop Rammus from capping. Don't go around...approach from below and GRAB him diagonally across. Your team will quickly beat him down as he only gets +20ish armor/MR at rank 1 shell. Don't move to their side to grab though as its not necessary and would be bad.

2) You WILL most likely be the first to top thx to your permanent 15% MS (plus ghost) Start capping from your side. When the first enemy gets there (usually melee) they will almost always move in to Counter-Cap to negate yours. WITHOUT stopping your cap, GRAB/Knockup em! They won't really expect it since you are still capping and they will probably die quickly to your team's focus fire.
Blitz can really make a big impact to that initial fight for Top. I'd avoid capping MID with him, despite that he can get into battle the quickest after capping.

2.1) In theory you could even get to the chokepoint and just sit there waiting for a victim. Soon as one appears you'd grab them into your team. Ive had better luck with (2) though as a strategy.

3) When defending Top, wedge yourself into the very bottom and hit Q and wait. As soon as a foe appears out of the jungle, you can GRAB them, knockup and Ult. This and your tower will heavily damage them. This works so well because the enemy wants to GET THERE first, then either snipe at you or wait for backup. They usually approach through the jungle and just don't expect the grab to make it that far and run right into it. Once they have gotten to the left/right side of the tower they are expecting the grab.

4) Use the Retreating Grab. Say you are at half health and fed Vayne appears. She chases me down and I run for my tower. I click PAST my tower and then as soon as I am in range, I Grab BEHIND me. It pulls em into tower range where they eat Ult, Knockup,proc, tower. They either run off at half health, OR try to duke it out with you. But guess what? your SHIELD procs and you get a bunch of virtual health pool which allows you to outlast them.

5) (edit). Manamune is a fantastic item on SR where games are much longer, you use abilities a bit more often vs creeps, and Blitz needs the mana to really be able to cast his spells.
BUT on Dominion, it is much harder to fill a tear in a timely manner and the mana is not needed for casting spells due to the mana regen of the map.
Therefore, I recommend going with Hexdrinker/Maw for your main AD item instead of Manamune. After all the trolling below you can see the math that demonstrates this in more detail. Manamune still works decently and you can take it if you want. But try the hexdrinker build and compare the two.

6) You can use Grab defensively too. Don't forget to pull an enemy AWAY from your retreating ally, especially a squishy DPSer. They will thank you by turning around and bringing the sweet deeps to the guy you grabbed and knocked up.

7) Keep your AS/MS buff up most of the time. DONT FORGET IT! You aren't quite rammus, but with l2 boots, triforce, 3% defense mastery, and 23% MS with this, you are pretty freaking fast. You also deliver decent sustained deeps thx to the 65% AS.

8) When you grab and see that you got someone, THEN powerfist! NOT BEFORE as that is a dead giveaway and can poop out. In theory you grab, autoattack, powerfist but this gives a chance for them to get away. Thats bad! So spam FIST as soon as you see youve gotten the grab! With triforce proc it can actually HURT you to try to autoattack then grab since you want that Triforce proc DOUBLED by fist!

SHOE788

04-18-2012

Why start with prospectors?

tear gives blitz 175 health right away (and ramping upward) compared to 200 from prospectors and builds into something. The only usefulness that prospectors gives is damage, but Blitz's strength is in his utility.

MMKH

04-18-2012

Lol "don't get Manamune"? I rush tear every single game regardless of build so I can upgrade that. You are getting a lot of effective health in his passive which gives him a huge shield every minute, and his skills are pretty spammable with CDR so you can max tear/Manamune soon, which means you are getting more AD. And Blitz is good in any team comp and can be played as full AD DPS. Hence the name Blitzcrack.

inFe eD

04-18-2012

Item build, Summoners, and skill order are all completely wrong.

Quote:
5) DO NOT GET MANAMUNE!!!
No, just no.

Laurix

04-18-2012

Quote:
5) DO NOT GET MANAMUNE!!!
THlS MADE MY DAY!

Wyvernfist

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Lol "don't get Manamune"? I rush tear every single game regardless of build so I can upgrade that. You are getting a lot of effective health in his passive which gives him a huge shield every minute, and his skills are pretty spammable with CDR so you can max tear/Manamune soon, which means you are getting more AD. And Blitz is good in any team comp and can be played as full AD DPS. Hence the name Blitzcrack.
This. CDR, Mana, and start punching things.

Ikarurob

04-18-2012

dear OP you shouldnt post a guide since its obvious you have never played blitz

gtfo

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOE788 View Post
tear gives blitz 175 health right away
Alright you guys win. Clearly you don't even bother to read guides. I specifically stated that every 2 points of mana (4g) gives you 2.5g worth of health... once a minute when you are low. That shield does NOT include magic resistance and armor unlike most. Therefore, it actually is more like 3 or 4 mana needed to get a single point of virtual health.

So you are spending 8 gold worth of mana to get 2.5 gold worth of health. Obviously not cost effective to chase mana.

Manamune allows you to convert every 50 points of mana (100g worth) to 1 point of AD (40g worth). This is nice and all but it costs you 2400g to gain this ability. So unless you buy manamune with a 3k mana pool it will put you at a temporary lull.

Blitz gets some natural charge from his W and can even pre-pump it somewhat during the first minute 20. But tear boostage is pretty slow going for most, unless you take bottom lane.
Ryze bottom doesn't even get a fully charged tear in dominion. How would Blitz?

Blitz takes Manamune in SR because he NEEDS THE MANA to DO STUFF. In dominion, the huge mana regen means this isn't needed. So buying mana itself doesn't actually help him, except for the Shield bonus and possible Manamune bonus, both of which are not very efficient on their own.

You can always take boots and 2 sapphire crystals if you don't want prospectors. That will upgrade to Glacial Shroud and Sheen without slowing down the build if desired. Prospectors is quite efficient though as for 1k gold, you get 600g of AD, 500g of health, 250g of usable lifesteal.

Wyvernfist

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Ryze bottom doesn't even get a fully charged tear in dominion. How would Blitz?
Unlike Ryze, Blitz can spam all four of his abilities without a target in about 20 second rotations with max CDR.

Ikarurob

04-18-2012

OP, just delete your terrible guide. IT would be far kinder.

12345 ... 7