counter volibear top

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hellowow

05-03-2012

yesterday, i played lee sin against volibear top. Got raped by him and my friend got mad at me and said something not nice and i rage quit.

So how should i play lee when against volibear. Items, runes, mastery, skill points and tactics? any suggestions?

Felixman95

05-03-2012

To put it simply, you have to very carefully wear him down. Volibear is every bit as ferociously powerful in close combat as Lee Sin, but trades off Lee's Hit-and-run skill for more direct CC and a strong finishing move in that bite of his. His passive means you need to be VERY careful about when you commit.

In general, you want to poke him, prod him, get you minions on him and do NOT engage him for long. Getting in and out is Lee's specialty, but remember he WILL slow you and toss you around when you get close, but you have sheild, healing and range skills to fall back on that Volibear lacks. Once his passive is used, and if you think you have the edge, only then should you even risk an attack. Do NOT engage him near his turrent, he will happily fling you into it, slow you down, and try to bite your head off as the turrent makes your life short and painful.

Volibear commonly builds for heavy HP and Attack speed, fueling his Frenzy bite damage, protecting him from harm, and makeing his ultimate that much more devestating. Executioner's calling or Ignite can reduce the usefulness of his passive and Lee Sin's ultimate can send him flying if a fight turns bad: Volibear is a poor chaser once you know what he can do and stay out of his limited charging range. My Lee Sin knowledge is a bit limited, but I vaugely recall he too tends to favor a blend of solid defense and offense, makeing it a sort of 'Clash of the titans' thing all game unless one player gets the solid advantage.

Volibear is extremely dangerous to Lee Sin and, frankly, most Melee-range champions in general. He is an excellent anti-melee off-tank who's weakness is to RANGED harass. If possible, just hold the lane and wait for your jungler to gank. No one will think less of you, any decent player knows that two melee-ranged champions with that sort of devestating power can go either way. Play it safe, don't die, and your team shouldn't hassle you.

When all other options are exhausted... switch out with a ranged character. It's humiliating, but you'll get less flak for admitting your Champion is in a bad matchup and trying to minimize damage than from being stubborn and letting the bear get so fed, he tires of eating YOU and moves on to snacking on your casters and carries.

Powerstoned

05-04-2012

Ranged harass beats volibear, melee autoattackers don't if they're equally farmed. Volibear players will bait you into trading melee attacks and then....BITE. Maybe you get a dumb volibear player who might continue to fight you after their passive is on cooldown, but you shouldn't count on that.

ArtTwisted

05-04-2012

My highest win rate is with volibear both top and jungle. Voli is one of the least appreciated champions in that he can kill just about any melee champ over and over again with 0 help and his passive is massive. Id suggest going with a ranged character but even then volibear if played well can outrun them, fling them, cc, bite, ult, ignite, and everything dies. I have issues killing GP's early with voli, if they keep parley up and they ignite when they go for the kill to counter my passive then they can kill me till i hit 6 at which point even if voli is behind GP is dead the ult plus bite is too strong. Go yorick, haras, never get close, and when volley hits the run speed throw a slow on him and move back fast, voli will run out of mana before you do.

DecelarnosIV

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtTwisted View Post
My highest win rate is with volibear both top and jungle. Voli is one of the least appreciated champions in that he can kill just about any melee champ over and over again with 0 help and his passive is massive. Id suggest going with a ranged character but even then volibear if played well can outrun them, fling them, cc, bite, ult, ignite, and everything dies. I have issues killing GP's early with voli, if they keep parley up and they ignite when they go for the kill to counter my passive then they can kill me till i hit 6 at which point even if voli is behind GP is dead the ult plus bite is too strong. Go yorick, haras, never get close, and when volley hits the run speed throw a slow on him and move back fast, voli will run out of mana before you do.
wow u use volibear......... sad

LFO effection

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecelarnosIV View Post
wow u use volibear......... sad
Wow you mock the champions he likes to play............ sad.