Garen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yausser

05-03-2012

If you would prefer I delete this thread from Dominion let me know. I just like having conversations in the folder of the primary mode I play.

So the question...
Why is Garen considered an early game champion only? His skills seem to be pretty potent, Judgement having a good ratio which can be fired off every 9 seconds. Demacian judgement doing a base of 525 magic damage.

I know someone who mains him and the first time he played Dominion with me(he is primarily an SR player) pulled in 31 kills, the highest I have seen. I know kills are not the point to the mode, but that must show some sort of lethality to the champ.

inFe eD

05-03-2012

He's not an early game champion, he has decent scaling all around. However, anything he does, Wukong does a thousand times better.

ForgedLife

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2012

i've seen him do well as a pure AD actually. A Frozen Mallet and Maw of Malmortius and then the rest just pure damage

Aroyok

05-03-2012

He's a tanky melee AD caster...when his abilities are on cooldown he's not doing much of anything(his autoattack speed is lousy). I like to do Ghostblade, Ionians and Sunfire as a core. I've tried other ways, but his abilities just aren't up often enough.

ZeroAquaduct

05-03-2012

Garen does kill a lot. He's not in the same level as Pantheon or Akali when it comes to kills, but he's above average.

I think Garen developed the "strong early, weak late" reputation from SR because ranged carries can kite him easily during late game. But it's a bit different on Dominion because everyone has to cut through the jungle and that's usually where Garen surprises you a face full of Q + E. So his weakness is less exposed on Dominion.

Talith PA

05-03-2012

Why play Garen when you can play Riven?

Aroyok

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talith PA View Post
Why play Garen when you can play Riven?
I like to double as a cross-country track star in Dom...

KSHarrison

05-04-2012

There're are a lot of misconceptions about how to build Garen correctly. One of those is that Garen is supposed to build really tanky. I like Garen a lot, so I pay attention to things regarding Garen. Looking around for Garen information, I've seen many people recommending "tank Garen" builds, which cause him to absolutely fail after the early game. He has limited CC, so he's a really poor tank. Garen's kit allows him to actually potentially tank damage better than most, but if you build him too tanky, he doesn't do anything in a fight.

I do think he could use something. As someone else mentioned, it really is true that Wukong can do just about anything Garen can do, but better. I suppose Garen's most noticeable advantage is that he can impose a bad ass silence.

FK UR DUO IM ADC

05-04-2012

Meh, I feel like he's just a tad underrated.

I ran Alistar/Garen with one of my buddies. Alistar literally pulverized on 3 of the 4 at the first fight for Windmill, and I got my full spin off and killed the three. Garen can 100-0 almost anyone early game. Depending how you build him, he can fall off though.

Overall there are better picks, but I definitely don't consider him bottom-of-the-barrel garbage pick. Just don't build him herpderp full tank Garen (same with J4) and he can work.

Critical Error

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2012

Garen is only weak if you play him 100% of the time; he needs to fit the team comp, or he will suck. Garen is beefy, so you might think he is a good initiator, but if you go in and they drop any CC on you, you probably didnt get off your silence or spin. So first thing is that he needs another tank-type hero to set up the scene. Then, as people have mentioned, after he does his skill combo, he is pretty much done, for quite a while at the early game since you dont have much CDR. So you need some heavy DPS that can make up for your serious dip in DPS for a few seconds. So, when does garen shine? When you have a tank and a really high dps. If you dont have that, youre not gonna have a good time.

Also, if you are playing him, I like rush get regular starting items, then Ionians (its hard to get CDR on garen), then an item based on enemy champs. If they are stacking magic damage, then MoM is really good. If you are more worried about physical, skip the MoM and rush a LW. You will need it later for sure, it will give you a nice DPS boost, and you can likely afford a chainmail item before their AD gets too scary.