Which yellow rune would be better in dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grantson

05-03-2012

He does bring a valid argument that more health does mean more damage from health percentage base skill from Warwick, Poopy, Mundo, and Kog'Maw. But now that I think about it, aren't these skill all magic based damage? In that case Armor doesn't protect you against magic damage at all. So while health actually does make these damage numbers higher, you have a better chance of overall survival (but magic resist is still the best way).

Then there's your point that items and masteries like Atma's Impaler and Juggernaut does scale more with health. Forgot about these aspect.

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll go with Health runes over Armor runes in the end. Health is the only way to protect yourself from true damage like Ignite. Health also spills over to magic damage survival. Warmog's Armor was never reintroduced to dominion for a reason.

inFe eD

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talith PA View Post
You shouldn't be scared of getting more health just because some champions do %damage.
That's only a small part of it, I tend to prefer armor because it increases the power of lifesteal/shields/pickups, and because having more mitigation over flat health lets you bait at low HP more effectively. I've never ran the numbers, but from personal experience I notice very little difference between scaling hp/armor runes anyway.

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2012

I prefer health per level over armor per level myself.

health absorbs damage of all types, armor only reduces physical =D

* i do have both rune types along with health regen per level, gold per 10, and a few others which i forget...

DiscworldDeath

05-04-2012

If the champion builds extra life, has free extra resistances (Wukong, Jax) and often gets Atma's, then I run scaling health.

Armour is really needed early, especially as the top fight often devolves to auto-attacking because all the abilities have long cooldowns at low ranks.

And mid-game you often take a turret shot or two in some scenarios.
So for those other champions I run flat armour.

KSHarrison

05-04-2012

This is complicated to answer for a general case because it depends on situational factors. Here's what I would do: I would take 2 general scenarios. In one scenario, the enemy has LW (very likely at lvl 18), and in the other, the enemy doesn't have LW.

With LW - armor pen is equal to 40%+12%+10% = 52.48%

So, your 24 armor from runes becomes 0.4752*24= 11.4 armor.

This means the benefit from your armor runes becomes 11.4% of your base HP (given that 1 armor = 1% base HP). Here's where it gets tricky. While reading these next few paragraphs, it is useful to remember that base hp at level 18 is around 1900-2100. This is not including any health items you may have by level 18.

If you have 0 armor, it's easy to say that the armor runes are better for HP > 1534 (where 11.4% = 175 HP).

However, if you have, say, 100 armor, then the 175 bonus health becomes an effective 350 bonus health, at which point the armor runes only become better for health > 3069.

So, it is clear that the more armor you have, the more effective the bonus health runes are, and the more health you have, the more effective the armor seals are. I think that, because you are likely to have well over 100 armor - and not much more health than 3000-3500 - the health runes are likely to be far better.

The nice thing is that % health damage is actually more or less bypassed because your apparent health is still only increased by 175, while your effective health is influenced far more. For example, you might gain 500 effective health from 175 HP seals, but a WW Q will still only deal 16% of 175, which is 28 additional magic damage, before resists (so it's not much damage at all).

Not to mention that health has the dual application to both armor and magic resist, which makes it even more valuable. Also, certain champions, noticeably Wukong and Urgot, have % Ar reduction abilities that result in your 24 armor becoming 8 and 9.1, respectively. This further weakens the value of the armor seals. To me, the health/level are without a doubt a far superior rune choice.

Now, without a LW, your effective armor from the seals is 19, as you have said. At this point, with 100 initial armor, the armor seals are better for HP > 1841. This is reasonable to expect by level 18. Even for 200 armor, the armor seals are better for HP > 2762. While it seems Armor seals are the winners here, the HP/level seals still have the advantage of applying to your MR as well. In addition, against % armor reduction, the HP seals are also better.

Conclusion
Strictly in terms of survivability vs. AD, the HP/level seals are always better if your enemy has a LW. The armor seals are better if your opponent does not use a LW. In general, because the HP seals are useful in mitigating both AD and AP, they are probably the best choice in almost any scenario at level 18.

Almost every AD champ should have a LW by level 18, or at least shortly after. Honestly, HP/lvl seals seem to be the best way to go.

R00ler

05-04-2012

A champion that does life steal, spell vamp, or Mundo’s ult, Volibear’s passive, will get more survivability by stacking armor than health. It’s pretty easy to adjust your build to include something with life steal / spell vamp for the survivability over building straight armor.

Armor / Magic Resist have a diminishing value of return – your first 100 Armor blocks 50% of the incoming damage, an additional 100 Armor will only block 66% of the incoming damage. When I play Shen and Amumu I stack health (Sunfire Cap), so my runes should be armor.

KSHarrison

05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by R00ler View Post
A champion that does life steal, spell vamp, or Mundoís ult, Volibearís passive, will get more survivability by stacking armor than health. Itís pretty easy to adjust your build to include something with life steal / spell vamp for the survivability over building straight armor.

Armor / Magic Resist have a diminishing value of return Ė your first 100 Armor blocks 50% of the incoming damage, an additional 100 Armor will only block 66% of the incoming damage. When I play Shen and Amumu I stack health (Sunfire Cap), so my runes should be armor.
Your armor/MR is equal to 1% your health per point. So there is an optimal balance between resist and bonus health.