Refer-a-Friend Fraud is No Laughing Matter!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Godsfame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

God dammit fuk u necro

Sabre070

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRara View Post
Summoners!

We recently popped the cork on the second iteration of our Refer-a-Friend Program, so we thought it might be time to have a little chat with those of you intending to take advantage of this system. Exploiting the Refer-a-Friend program is not only unfair to those summoners who make an honest effort to introduce others to League of Legends, but also detrimental to everyone’s overall experience – particularly when the methods employed can potentially ruin honest players’ games.

Consider this fair warning. We’re going to be treating any attempt to exploit the Refer-a-Friend program the same way that we would any other fraud attempt. This means that our ever-vigilant Fraud Prevention Team will be monitoring the system, ready to pounce on perpetrators of nefarious schemes aimed at acquiring dishonest referrals. And once we found them, they’re going to find themselves subject to some pretty hefty consequences, including:

• The loss of any and all content acquired under dubious circumstances.
  • A permanent ban from the Refer-a-Friend Program.
  • A suspension or in some cases, a permanent ban from League of Legends.

Our commitment to honest players has always been one of our ideals as a company, and the Refer-a-Friend Program is no different. We’re taking this seriously, and we hope that you are, too.
You should introduce something so that people can legitimately make new accounts to play with their friends and get some kind of bonus. Otherwise whenever you refer a friend you may as well make a new referral account, otherwise you're just leaving your friend in the deep end.

Unless of course you find this to be acceptable, its just those that make accounts continually to get rewards that you don't like.

Irishlawyer

11-10-2012

If I sign up my brother for LoL, and he plays one or two games, but never really plays, will I get punished?

Dreamspitter

Recruiter

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlawyer View Post
If I sign up my brother for LoL, and he plays one or two games, but never really plays, will I get punished?

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. WHAT would they punish you for?

HUH?

That aside....

You ONLY get the first 250 points when they reach level 5. Yeah I guess you could shotgun your Refer A Friend in a spam-email like fashion and just see who goes along with it......but I dont know how well such a thing would work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcH4w...eature=related

This video here WARNS of a scam, in which a guy claimed to be giving away free stuff for people that signed up through his channel.

Thing is, is unlike WoW's Refer A Friend in which the friend MUST actually spend money, you dont need to here. SO while YES you could refer your own alt ("smurf") accounts (which can be made for all kinds of reasons, but are generally bad because it matches a much higher lvl/more experienced player with lowbies until the account levels up) to me it seems that you would make more IP just playing on your main. for the same amount of time

Baelfrost

11-11-2012

See I dont even care about the ip/rp (even more so that it gives you more work for less of a gain). The only reason I would actually be willing to smurf 50 accounts is so that I can get Medieval Twitch (Honestly the only reason I care about it). Downside. I have tried to actively refer people to this game. Most already play. And those that dont have no interest. I just want a skin!!

(Why do I want it so bad? Well one of my dads characters in a D&D game was a changling that could turn into a rat.. D&D...Medieval you get the picture.)

But I am guessing Smurfing is considered wrong now?

Fendersnook

11-12-2012

so wait if i get like 5 friends to sign up all at the same time will that be considered fraud?..if so how can i avoid this cause i do talk to people who loves games..especially games like these

Fendersnook

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamspitter View Post
I'm sorry but that makes no sense. WHAT would they punish you for?

HUH?

That aside....

You ONLY get the first 250 points when they reach level 5. Yeah I guess you could shotgun your Refer A Friend in a spam-email like fashion and just see who goes along with it......but I dont know how well such a thing would work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcH4w...eature=related

This video here WARNS of a scam, in which a guy claimed to be giving away free stuff for people that signed up through his channel.

Thing is, is unlike WoW's Refer A Friend in which the friend MUST actually spend money, you dont need to here. SO while YES you could refer your own alt ("smurf") accounts (which can be made for all kinds of reasons, but are generally bad because it matches a much higher lvl/more experienced player with lowbies until the account levels up) to me it seems that you would make more IP just playing on your main. for the same amount of time
I dont consider them bad unless you have a crappy reason like.."i just want to own noobs"..other reasons like i wanna reset my W/L ratio or i have lowbie buddies its completely understandable. But i will agree people do like to try to make smurf accounts for the reason to get rp/ip...so thumbs up on this quote though you coulda been a bit more respectful or less demeaning about it..just saying

tito124

11-13-2012

i refer a friend and he is in level 10 but i didnt get my rp wdf .

Blizzard9789

11-13-2012

What if you refer a friend who isn't using the same server as you are? Does it still work?

NY l Voodoo

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviyor View Post
Completely fair, but you guys should get around to post-creation acknowledgement of referral.

Sometimes we forget to send the referral link or spread information by word of mouth, making random characters bothersome to deal with.

EDIT: Additionally, you should look at bumping up the rewards a bit. Before, you would get 600 or so IP from a referral, but now you only get 250 for level 5 referrals and sporadic milestone rewards which taper off in efficiency a bit, ignoring the fact that they require an account to reach level 10.

Given these new anti-fraud mechanisms, surely you can afford to make some changes.
This, from way back on page one. This so hard.