Refer-a-Friend Fraud is No Laughing Matter!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dawgenstien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2012

I've got countless people to play LoL, and many of them proceeded to get more players into the game, however, I didn't recruit them via e-mail or sending them a link, I simply told them about them game and suggested the try it.

This being said I think you should allow people (no matter their summoner level) to give credit to somebody for recruiting them.

It makes me frustrated knowing I've got 10+ people to play LoL, none of which I got credit for referring, and at the same time I'm at risk of being permabanned because I've made smurfs to play with them, 1 or 2 which did the referral.

Razyrous

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2012

It's good to see that this is finnally going to have some control. It's a shame that a good number of streamers already got tons of IP boosts(between other rewards of the referring program) by having hundreds and thousands of viewers creating smurfs in order to join their events, thus ruining the first experiences of the "real" new players of LoL

messymike

05-03-2012

so what about people that referred their friends when LoL first started out, but the RAF system was not fully functional at that time... some would argue that your early players are the ones that built this game up to what it is

Aisha nyan nyan

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgenstien View Post
I've got countless people to play LoL, and many of them proceeded to get more players into the game, however, I didn't recruit them via e-mail or sending them a link, I simply told them about them game and suggested the try it.

This being said I think you should allow people (no matter their summoner level) to give credit to somebody for recruiting them.

It makes me frustrated knowing I've got 10+ people to play LoL, none of which I got credit for referring, and at the same time I'm at risk of being permabanned because I've made smurfs to play with them, 1 or 2 which did the referral.

I feel you're pain. I tell friends to try LoL in real life but its not like i say "Oh wait till i send you an E-mail to join" They just go ahead and join xD

WalkTheNikasaur

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdsheep View Post
Explain, in exact detail, what fraud is in this case please.
^

13utterF1ngers

05-03-2012

so what about the people that made fake referrals on the first system? do they get the punishments or are they going to let them off the hook? Im pretty sure they said that smurfing isnt bannable, just frowned upon

pwnurface2ic

05-03-2012

so I can still create a smurf just don't refer them or face a nerf to my account ... permanently.

CelticContempt

05-03-2012

90% is people smurfing for a boost on their main account.

Razyrous

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13utterF1ngers View Post
so what about the people that made fake referrals on the first system? do they get the punishments or are they going to let them off the hook? Im pretty sure they said that smurfing isnt bannable, just frowned upon

they get their name on a new item as a reward

Jsao

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryme49 View Post
2 questions...

1. Does this apply to people who already had the referrals sent out before now, or does it just include new ones?

2. Im not sure if anyone on the Riot team has taken a look at Ebay, but i see several people offering to sell their time to make accounts so people can get the rewards. Not so much a question but more like a statement

*EDIT*

to further help my 2nd point, take a look at this link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/League-of-Le...item1e6dc19e9c

i mean it is clearly a way to make money while helping someone get their rewards. How do you prevent people from doing this?
rofl, that cost more than actually buying the RP you get from it.