Refer-a-Friend Fraud is No Laughing Matter!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guyde

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2012

Quote:
...perpetrators of nefarious schemes aimed at acquiring dishonest referrals.
I believe Riot is addressing situations where someone tricks others into leveling accounts for them.

I recently saw a video on YouTube claiming that by following some certain steps (that obviously don't work if you understand the system) you could take advantage of a bug to get a free IP boost on a new account. The user "helpfully" provided his referral link as part of the process. It was flat out scamming. The video was short, but the directions were so convoluted that inexperienced users could be fooled.

The particulars of the scam don't matter, and I agree that anyone who tries to use a bug to their advantage deserves to get fooled. But the big issue is that new users to LoL would be introduced to the game via the lies of those who would take advantage of them. And those "perpetrators of nefarious schemes" would be rewarded with IP/RP/skins/etc.

iVardansphere

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyant Taco View Post
What does this have to do with what I said?
Having trouble reading are you? That's ok. I thought it was pretty clear but I'll spell it out. If they choose to, they can give you a free pass for doing it in the past, in fact when summoners have willingly brought it up they've been told so long as they don't do it anymore they'll be fine. So they can look at the "Date Registered" of all of your referrals and see whether or not you dun goofed. If you're a good boy and don't do it anymore you're fine. If you ignore their repeated warnings well, you dun goofed.

Răinbow Dăsh

05-03-2012

Bump for further clarification.

Sauron

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyde05 View Post
I believe Riot is addressing situations where someone tricks others into leveling accounts for them.

I recently saw a video on YouTube claiming that by following some certain steps (that obviously don't work if you understand the system) you could take advantage of a bug to get a free IP boost on a new account. The user "helpfully" provided his referral link as part of the process. It was flat out scamming. The video was short, but the directions were so convoluted that inexperienced users could be fooled.

The particulars of the scam don't matter, and I agree that anyone who tries to use a bug to their advantage deserves to get fooled. But the big issue is that new users to LoL would be introduced to the game via the lies of those who would take advantage of them. And those "perpetrators of nefarious schemes" would be rewarded with IP/RP/skins/etc.
That's what I thought too. Disguised links, fake YouTube videos, service selling. Things like that rather than just simply referring oneself.

Referring oneself takes time and effort unless its botting, which is better shut down via other means.

And Riot can just trace back the referral link for an easy identification... that is, unless the scam was made with someone else's link. Hmm.

Upsilon

05-03-2012

Is it wrong to refer my brother's smurf and then have him refer mine?

BadgerDrool

05-03-2012

A question that may not get an answer. A rather verbose fore word too.

I've never smurfed. I'm also a pretty good player. (I expect if I played more Ranked games my Ranked ELO would raise a little than stabilize) Now this is important because it means I can't play with friends on fresh accounts!

Fact is merely being there results in the enemy team receiving players of my caliber. Given they don't end up vs me in lane...Well my friends on their low accounts wind up getting a frustratingly unfun game simply by my presence. With only really limited options available to me.

Now making a smurf account would help. Even if the systems figured out I was good rather quickly. I'd likely pull less good enemy players into a game than when I'm on my level 30 account.

Now this results in me wondering . Would it be fraud or bad for me to smurf to play with my friends? Would refer-a-friending this smurf account from my main be fraud?

The question is what etiquette does Riot want to see in this specific field?

Please note: I'd hold myself to a standard on a smurf account. Don't be a jackass. Don't snowball items. Choose strong champions that might let me carry a game, but don't go out of my way to over exploit the enemy teams lack of knowledge. (Avoid, Eve, Shaco, Twitch, Katarina for example. Ranged carries, Garen or Gangplank would be acceptable). More importantly make an effort to educate if an opportunity arises.

So I can't help but consider this different then smurfing just to "pwn some noobs".

Ryuna

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRara View Post
Summoners!

We recently popped the cork on the second iteration of our Refer-a-Friend Program, so we thought it might be time to have a little chat with those of you intending to take advantage of this system. Exploiting the Refer-a-Friend program is not only unfair to those summoners who make an honest effort to introduce others to League of Legends, but also detrimental to everyone’s overall experience – particularly when the methods employed can potentially ruin honest players’ games.

Consider this fair warning. We’re going to be treating any attempt to exploit the Refer-a-Friend program the same way that we would any other fraud attempt. This means that our ever-vigilant Fraud Prevention Team will be monitoring the system, ready to pounce on perpetrators of nefarious schemes aimed at acquiring dishonest referrals. And once we found them, they’re going to find themselves subject to some pretty hefty consequences, including:

• The loss of any and all content acquired under dubious circumstances.
  • A permanent ban from the Refer-a-Friend Program.
  • A suspension or in some cases, a permanent ban from League of Legends.

Our commitment to honest players has always been one of our ideals as a company, and the Refer-a-Friend Program is no different. We’re taking this seriously, and we hope that you are, too.
I think they are targeting those who make those fake "FREE 1 MILLION IP/RP" videos. Smurfing also does effort and time, and while it is a little scumbaggy, it still takes effort.

Draconic74

05-03-2012

Not sure what people are misunderstanding here.

Smurf account for playing with friends: OK
Using that account to get stuff on main through the RaF Program: Not OK

Nicódemus

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMEME670 View Post
Does this mean smufing is now bannable?

If so, how do you suggest I play with my lower levelled friends?
if you refer your smurf, yes it is, but just making smurfs no

tgormly

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMEME670 View Post
Does this mean smufing is now bannable?

If so, how do you suggest I play with my lower levelled friends?
Because you have to use a referral link from yourself to make a smurf.