Tryndamere on Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

05-04-2012

Hmmm, I'm going to stray off topic for a moment to respond to the whole May 15th excitement and Diablo III.

I'm curious, why are you so excited about Diablo III? I'm looking for responses more elaborate than, "Uh, because it's Diablo! That's why!"

KSHarrison

05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
Hmmm, I'm going to stray off topic for a moment to respond to the whole May 15th excitement and Diablo III.

I'm curious, why are you so excited about Diablo III? I'm looking for responses more elaborate than, "Uh, because it's Diablo! That's why!"
What is Blizzard's track record and genre-altering games? Not much else to say other than that chances are it's going to be an amazing game worthy of sucking up all your time.

Redenbacher

05-04-2012

I also want to know who of those responding to my question have played the beta, and are keeping track of development news on the game.

GrignardTS

05-04-2012

Quote:
Not only does it bring back fond memories for me as Diablo II was THE game that personally got me into both gaming and online gaming simultaneously, but Blizzard is just a plain solid gaming company.

Blizzard just offers consistency. Multi-billion dollar company with the muscle to churn out WoW patches like nobodies business. Every game they release is at least a mild success.

Generalities aside, Diablo III actually looks appealing. The Skill/Rune system is interesting route of customization for your character that will offer a huge amount of diversity. They speak of a PvP system and advocate group play. The difficulty levels also promise to make the game a challenge for even experienced gamers like myself.

Its a gear action skill based MMO. Pure fun fun fun.

I've both played the beta and keep up on developments.

DiscworldDeath

05-04-2012

Quote:
I also want to know who of those responding to my question have played the beta, and are keeping track of development news on the game.
I played in the beta weekend. Was horribly unimpressed.
Then again, there'll be Elective Mode, so I'll get to place my abilities where I want to, which would inject some choice into the game - then again, in the beta, it didn't feel like the choice mattered. I instantly killed everything and even the final boss was relatively easy, compared to D2 bosses (yeah, not act boss, but comparing to people like The Countess?).

Which brings us to the next thing the beta weekend lacked, which is the ability to increase the difficulty. The default difficulty felt WAY too easy. And I was never more than a casual D2 player.

I just wish there were more GW2 beta weekends ongoing, what with only playing 4 hours in the last one.

So I'm deliberating whether to pre-order D3 or not..

Basoosh

05-04-2012

Quote:

To be honest - I actually don't think it will hold my attention for long, as Diablo games and Diablo clones have never had that all-consuming grip on me. The beta was rather unimpressive I thought, but we'll see how the end product turns out. I know a lot of people are up in arms about the lack of customization options, but it didn't really bother me all that much. I didn't play Diablo 2 over the long haul, only the period shortly after launch. And during that time, things were so poorly balanced that there was basically a right way to build your character and many wrong ways. So from what I remember, there aren't any "good old days" of diversity to look back on.

I've played a bunch of hack-n-slashers - they're good distractions for a bit, but generally get stale. I'm just not an equipment grinder, I guess. (Silverfall is the utmost worst game I've played from this genre, or just about any genre for that matter)

But I know it will suck a lot of people in, and will likely take a sizeable chunk out of the LOL playerbase, so I threw it out there. A lot of people have been waiting a long time for this game. It's gonna have to be completely putrid for it not to be a success. So far it doesn't look exceptional, but definitely not putrid either.

As far as hack-n-slash RPG-ish games go, I am actually more interested in Torchlight 2, even though I think the original Torchlight was way overhyped for what it was. But Torchlight doesn't have the marketing power of Blizzard, so it's not something that is likely to have any impact on LOL.

Anyways - when I first clicked on this thread, I really thought it was going to be a discussion about Tryndamere the champion and how he performs in Dominion.

GrignardTS

05-04-2012

I only played the open beta so I only got to see Act 1 of Normal difficulty.

While it was super easy, I wont make difficulty judgments based on Normal. D2's normal was just as easy (If not easier. You instantly got to like 5-6 by rolling the Den of Woe) and there is a 4th difficulty that mobs are leveled past the max level.

It looks promising in the least.

KSHarrison

05-04-2012

Quote:
You sound like you are challenging people to convince you that D3 is good, but since you won't disclose your reasoning why it's going to be bad, it's difficult to have a productive discussion with you.

I've followed it with moderate interest over the past couple of years. For example, in response to your comment, DiscworldDeath, a lot of people raised the same complaint on the difficulty, and the D3 staff released an official statement on it. Basically, it's the same thing Grignard said that you saw essentially a portion of Act 1 D2 normal difficulty, which even a 700 elo could beat with no trouble. Here's their statement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0F2wPZWdYk

Redenbacher

05-04-2012

Thanks for the insight, folks. I'll share my take on it now:

I've played the beta, and I've been actively following the news. I'm a Diablo II fan, for very specific reasons, and I was very excited about Diablo III... until I played the beta.

First, the good things. The game looks pretty good, and it plays really nicely. Combat is fluid and fast, and is definitely reminiscent of Diablo II and carving through huge hordes of enemies. The voice acting is decent, the story is alright, and the music/audio is good. That's about where the good things end.

Now the bad. The game has been homogenized in to a set of skills. Auto-attack modifiers, offensive, and defensive. That's it. If you can play a Barbarian, you can play the Demon Hunter, and you can play the Witch Doctor, and the Monk in pretty much the same fashion. Further, the auto-attack modifiers had pretty much a single dominant ability and others that were 'meh'. Instead of four unique and distinctive characters, the only thing really separating them were particle effects and audio.

There are no more skill trees. No more points to allocate as you see fit for YOUR character. It's all automatic, and since skills are the only thing tied to specific levels, leveling up significantly loses importance... especially those levels where you don't unlock any abilities or runes. (Yay! Full health and mana! *click click click...*) Also, as a result of the removal of skill trees, and the implementation of infinite access to all abilities, swappable on the fly, there are no unique builds. Nothing that separates Monk A from Monk B, outside of the hope that there isn't one dominant set of abilities. Every character has been reduced to a rack with which you store armor and weapons. There really is no healthy customization system in place here.

All of your abilities are unlocked in the mid-30s, but there are 60 levels. So all you're really doing is gathering gear at that point, and maybe unlocking a new rune that simply modifies an old ability... woop de doo.

Also, real-money AH, where Blizzard takes a cut for the listing, and a percentage of the sale, while limiting the posting time to 48 hours. Some might say, "Wow! I can make an income off of this!" May be, but there's no point in listing anything that isn't end-game, max-level and worth buying. At which point, any player can grind to 60, dump their money on the best set of gear, and hop in to PvP. Not really an environment I want to be a part of, especially after having the privilege of playing a game like LoL where you can not buy all the best stuff with cash. Even with IP boosts, you still have to put a significant amount of time in to real PvP to get the runes you need to compete.

So, I see all of these posts inferring there will be some kind of mass exodus from LoL to play Diablo III, but what's the hitch that keeps players sinking time in to it? Unlike Diablo II, there are not an infinite number of builds and playstyles, and no incentive to roll multiples of the same character. My expectation is everyone is going to realize this the hard way, get bored fast, and guess where they're going to go? Right back to LoL.

Blizzard homogenized/simplified the hell out of WoW too, and the friends I have that used to play, quit as a result. You say Blizzard has this great track record of genre-changing games - which they do. I love(d) Blizzard, I just don't believe that this is the same Blizzard any more. Their priorities have changed, and all signs point to a significant lack of insight in to the fans they've gained over the years with the Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft franchises.

I think I'll be skipping Diablo III in favor of the cheaper, and more interesting Torchlight 2, because I know I have any number of builds to use and replay-ability is significantly more encouraged. Oh, and a vibrant and supported modding community.

@KSHarrison - I wanted to understand others' thoughts before I gave my own, to avoid putting anyone on the defensive to encourage an honest opinion.

Ottyssey

05-04-2012

I'm excited for May 15.

This community is cancerous, and I'm skeptical it will ever change in a substantive way. Trolls find more purchase here than in almost any other game. Games can go on for an hour and penalties are in place for leavers. Players with basic human decency are essentially locked in the same jail cell. L4D had a similar problem (+1 hour playtime whose quality depends on other players), but you're free to leave; instead of being locked in the cell, games rarely last beyond 15 minutes. Both games (L4D and LOL) are amazing, but they suffer from dependence on other players. Unfortunately, there are enough people who can't resist the temptation to ruin the fun for everyone.

I play Dominion exclusively because it's easier to find personal success and improvement even when my team is awful. And, in some ways more importantly, the length of the game decreases the traction and reward that trolls can find in SR. The lack of attention given to Dominion has been very discouraging to me. I gave up hope when they took away Jabebot.

D3 won't be a panacea. It will have problems, but it doesn't seem to have the same inherent flaw LOL and L4D have. I loved D2, and the D3 beta felt promising to me. Not all change is bad. The beta was too short for me to make any sweeping generalizations, but I'm confident that it will meet the same Blizzard standard (which I view as a positive.)

May 15 can't get here soon enough.