How Each Lane/Role Carries (Advice Thread)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Killzerz

05-02-2012

Hi! My tag is Killzerz, and I would like to briefly summarize how each role carries and when they are most effective. Yes, I don't play ranked but my normal elo is 1500-1600 and I've seen more wins the losses recently (I was a terrible player before 30s and raged too much [and even now I'm still learning! The journey is never over!]). I'm not saying you should take my words as gospel, but take it with a grain of salt! My major roles are anyone tanky, mainly top and jungle, however I have dabbled into supporting, AP mid, and AD carry.

Jungler:
1) Know thy enemy. It is really important to protect against early invasions if you have a blue start and they have a red start. For instance, I am Udyr/Skarner/Jarvan, I might want to hang around wraiths until 1:30 just to make sure nothing fishy is happening. Also, most junglers can take both buffs within the first minutes if you feel you might be invaded.
2) Group. If you feel they can invade, tell people to group. You call the shots here.
3) Ganks. If you don't know how to manage turret aggro, you shouldn't be jungling.
4) Build tanky. Some champs can get away with more DPS orientated builds, but these are the exception, not the norm. You need to be able to tank while your laners do damage lategame.
5) Dragon control, when to do it and when not to do it.
6) Know tricky ways to enter lanes so wards become less of a hindrance. In fact, if you can do this correctly, they will bait themselves because they think they are safe with a ward (Tryndamere and Shaco can jump walls, Alistar can come behind the tower, lane ganks are scary as hell).
7) You call Barons. Do not let them get stolen. Also, Baron baits are pretty funny and awesome, they win games.
8) Buff control. The second blue should be handed off to mid usually, while red really helps top/bottom lane (pass the third red to one of these lanes).
-Your presence is felt throughout the game, lategame you become more of a damage sponge though. Definitely the biggest presence early game though.

Top:
1) Don't get hard countered.
2) DON'T. GET. HARD. COUNTERED.
3) Read points 1 and 2 again just for good measure.
4) Know how to adapt both your playstyle AND builds according to the enemy champ. Example: Those Merc Treads aren't going to help too much against that Riven, buy that Ninja Tabi now and switch it for Mercs later. OR: that Wriggles won't help you beat Vlad, get a vamp scepter and grab Hexdrinker.
5) Know when to push and roam. This helps put pressure on midlane as well as increase dragon control (dragon control is SO important!).
6) Know how and when to freeze lanes.
7) Possibly poach jungle camps depending on the side you are on.
8) Warding your lane makes everyone happy!
9) Flat MR and Armor runes makes laning easier.
-Midgame is where you shine, as you have good damage through abilities and good tankiness before the AD carry becomes a god.

Mid:
1) Again, don't get hard countered.
2) Know how to zone.
3) Know how to last hit under tower if need be, most endgame beasts have poor early games, so you need to learn the art of last hitting under a tower.
4) Roam (especially bottom!).
5) Possibly poach wraiths (yours and the enemies, just make sure they come up when your jungler needs them).
6) Ward one side of the river and hug that side.
7) Position yourself well young Skywalker.
8) Doran's Rings are the bomb.
9) MR runes are great against many casters (tricksy Veigar thinks he can burst you, MR runes say NO).
-This really depends on the caster you choose, but most mids have the best presence at levels 6-13. Your combos can destroy opponents who underestimate you. Some people have good lategames as well, like Ryze, Karthus, and Cassiopeia, so just plan accordingly.

AD-ranged carry:
1) Farm.
2) Please farm.
3) Know how to poke with your respective champs.
4) Many carries have variable power levels depending on level, for instance Vayne isn't the greatest laner until level 6. Kog'Maw also doesn't hit his stride until around level 7 as well. Corki on the other hand would love to zoom at you and strike you down at level 4. Sivir also would love to be in your face at level 4, possibly 3.
5) Know if you are a poker or a brawler. Graves is a brawler, Kog'Maw is a poker.
6) Doran's are awesome. An earlyish vamp scepter also works wonder in lane.
7) Poach golems if they are on your side, just make sure they will be up when your jungler comes to clear them next.
8) Position yourself well in teamfights, you are NOT the first initiator.
9) If you feel you are carrying your team, your next item should NOT be that second PD, it should be a GA. If you get wiped, you lose lategame.
-Your power is lategame. Early game and midgame your damage isn't to be neglected, but certainly depends more on mid and top. Lategame you are the most important person on your team, do not be the hero and take shots for other people. You getting wiped lategame 75% of the time means certain defeat (GA/QSS OP).

Support:
1) Pick the right support for your carry. Soraka is ok with Graves, but Alistar in most cases is a better pick (Graves is a brawler). Alistar is poor with Kog'Maw because one wants to be aggressive while the other pokes; Soraka is a much better choice just to help Kog'Maw keep farming until level 7.
2) Alistar and Taric can roam mid. For the love of god do it.
3) Wards. If you think ward fairy has a negative connotation you are doing it wrong. Wards win game, map hacks OP. A great support has 4-6 wards up on the map mid and lategame (early game just your lane and dragon should suffice).
4) Pink wards are underrated. They let your jungler have easy ganks on your lane.
5) Oracles when you have the money, generally a good bet midgame.
6) Know when to activate items (Shurelia's OP).
7) Flat armor and MR runes are great for laning.
-Your presence is felt throughout the game, from babysitting the carry to providing utility lategame. You are never the best carry for early game (jungler), midgame (top and mid), or lategame (AD carry), but you never fall off and have a strong presence early game even though jungler takes the cake. However, wards win games. It is amazing how 75 gold leads to a win more than that 3000-4000 gold item does on a regular basis.

Some of this is REALLY self-explanatory, but just for some of the newer members I thought I would take a crack at it to help them.

If you have any more tips I missed or think I am giving out misinformation somewhere, tell me!

MOAR BUMPS?

Kaydence

05-02-2012

Good advice, +1.

The69Ninja

05-03-2012

"AD-ranged carry:
1) Farm.
2) Please farm."

I lol'd. I cry when I'm playing Alistar support and my AD carry can't last hit.

Cyrus Blackmoon

05-03-2012

For the AD Carry:
If you have the extra gold, buy a couple wards or two as well. The support occasionally has to buy things, and it will save on needing to recall as much when their last wards go down. You don't need to buy a ton, but it helps.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2012

Actually, add the point to everyone. Until you're at 6 item build, you have an open slot for wards, or very well should have. Passing by baron and it's unwarded? Drop one. Happen to notice that their blue is up? Put it over the wall and steal blue. I'm serious. Mid lanes, keep both blue timers! It's well worth it when you can pull that stunt on an inattentive jungler/lane opponent. Does not apply to high elo, obviously, but a random ward on an ADC/mid can still give you vision over dragon/baron wall if your support ran out of them or is currently dead. Or whenever you need vision somewhere.

Oh yeah. Help your jungler - keep track of your own buff timers. I hate it when I tell mid at 6:20 "blue in 1min" and when I ping him for it at 7:20 he's nowhere near ready to come take. Happens to me with depressing regularity, and most times the jungler only pings you when it's up...do junglers just always take their own blue or something? Mid laners, I swear. >.>

Laners, you carry games by not making your jungler do every single thing for you including warding, and by not QQing at your jungler. He doesn't have to do things you should be doing yourself, so he isn't wasting 10-20 seconds waiting for you to come get second blue*, that's time he can spend helping your lane or other lanes. That 75g spare you had last recall? Ward one side of your lane, help your jungler! He will love you forever. And it'll let him not need to place that ward*, which means he can spend the ward-placing time annoying your opponents and getting advantages for your team. Time adds up quickly - if he takes time off clearing to place two river wards, that's roughly the time equivalent of one gank. You, on the other hand, can place a ward without missing cs. Who should do it?

*if your jungler is particularly nice. If he isn't, he'll take the blue and he'll not ward your lane, and you know what, it's your fault when bad things happen, not his.

This has been a rant on crappy laners. I hate my laners most of the time, but when they're good, they're REALLY good.

Killzerz

05-03-2012

Bump?

Proletaria

05-03-2012

Lots of common knowledge there, but concise wisdom none the less. Glad you mentioned late game warding as support. Most of my time is spent playing support or jungle and I feel those two roles bear the greatest warding burden. Too often when I see others play those roles they neglect wards and gun for that next sweet item they are going to have in 10 mins. Unfortunately less than a 1 min window of expired wards can allow the game to go haywire.

I see it happen in soloq on a daily basis. We're up 5 or more kills, we're up on towers, we have better synergy in our team, but we're caught out of position at a critical moment because wards were not there. Before you know it the resident loud-mouth has sown the seeds of dissent on the team and it's all down-hill from there.

Killzerz

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proletaria View Post
Lots of common knowledge there, but concise wisdom none the less. Glad you mentioned late game warding as support. Most of my time is spent playing support or jungle and I feel those two roles bear the greatest warding burden. Too often when I see others play those roles they neglect wards and gun for that next sweet item they are going to have in 10 mins. Unfortunately less than a 1 min window of expired wards can allow the game to go haywire.

I see it happen in soloq on a daily basis. We're up 5 or more kills, we're up on towers, we have better synergy in our team, but we're caught out of position at a critical moment because wards were not there. Before you know it the resident loud-mouth has sown the seeds of dissent on the team and it's all down-hill from there.
Prevention of negative talk through wards haha! I suppose so!

Killzerz

05-04-2012

More bumps...?