Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Garen...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eppa

08-14-2010

Quote:
GreenTea Sama:
evelyn and twitch now are almost useless in team fights now a days...
most people I know carry oracle in a situation like that...so eve and twitch can't really get through

from experience...I have seen Garens out last dps and mages to actually grab a few kills

Pro tip don't stand on your enemies as twitch.

Catnium

08-14-2010

Quote:
Matuk:
A lot of *early* game damage. And yet his passive tries to get you to play passively and farm to reach late game.

Very contradictory abilities, don't you think?

Wrong
his passive means you can play offensively during the laning phase
you can eazly harras even tho it means you have to wade true a pile of minions and take a bunch of damage because you can simply dive in the bush for a few seconds to regen back to full.
You can attempt mulitple ganks even if thay back fire , aslong as you dont die , you can eazly dive in a bush or tower hug and regen back to full.
You can shield your lane partner from varius skill shots by taking the hit and than regen back to full.
Thanks to his passive you can afford to lose life where others cant because thay would need a ton of pots or muliple founten trips where Garen can just spend some time not being hit and regen back to full.
He's also imune to low aggressive poking because he simply regens back to full if left untouched for a few seconds .

Also your definition of 'spamming' seems to be a bid off

Quote:
GreenTea Sama:
I'm seeing a lot of sunfire Garens these days...so you can manage to deal a lot of damage while just twirling around them...it doesn't really matter if they attack you or not because you can still deal a decent amount of damage to a lot of people

Most sunfire garens i see dont have more than 2 and 80 magic damage a second is FAR from 'A lot' as you put it.
I would put it at half decent

MasqureMan

08-14-2010

I find him a very easy tank to play, I just have to get more sunfires quicker so people will find me a threat late game >.>

Katarìna

08-14-2010

People who try to stack tank items on Garen are kind of ridiculous. It's sufficient to sit at base level 18 health with a Frozen Mallet for bonus and whatever you get from Runes/Masteries and go from there with items.

The key to playing Garen successfully is harassing people, and then gtfo'ing. Q, run in, W just before you get there, silence and spin. Back off and Ghost if you need to to get away, rinse and repeat until you can ulti them.

Last night I had 20 stacks of Occult, two Infinities, Ghostblade, GA, and Ninja Tabi. Rolling with 400+ damage makes Judgement hit pretty **** hard.

That's one way to do it, another way is to just stack Phantom Dancers and get a Ghostblade, and Infinity if you have the cash, but that's only successful against a team full of melee/tanks.

The thing to remember is you are NOT a tank, you are the melee version of Teemo. Slice some b*tches and gtfo until you can execute them.

In team fights, you attack the Ashe/Ryze/Corki/Tristana/Twitch/Whatever carry.

I'm not going to argue with anyone who disagrees with me or downvotes me, that's obviously your choice, and you're free to do what you want, but I've had my success doing what I do with Garen. I've also had my failures, but that was mostly trying to tank, and not doing any damage at all where the team needed damage.

AntiTcb

08-14-2010

Garen's great for shutting down carries early game so they don't wreck face too soon.

Khazik

08-14-2010

Quote:
GreenTea Sama:
no mana
low cool down
35% damage reduction
+35/35 defensive stats

7s wait to regen at an insane rate

solid way to stay in lane during early game...amazing defense during mid/late game
offensively speaking...judgement deals a lot of damage early game combined with some armor pen runes

plus...he's really easy to play

This

AnsemDemon

08-14-2010

Garen is an Offtank/soaker. He's also a melee dps, A silencer and a finisher. That's a lot of roles for 1 guy. he can do all that, with 1 simple build, that's why he's high tier. Have you ever played with/against a garen? You cant say he doesnt do damage with his E, or his Q, you cant see he's not hard to kill with is W and the passive on his W. Garen can 1 shot a ryze with 1/2 health, i've done it before. He can spam skills without consequences.

What you need to do, is go for a sunfire, yes. Dont stack, you wont make it very far with just sunfire stacks. Get sunfire, appropriate boots (swiftness if you're doing good, Merc treads if they have heavy CC etc). Then go for an IE. " LOL NOOB, IE on tank, GG nab!" Go die in a fire, garen is no tank, derp. It gives extra damage+crit chance, both things that boost his E. After this, go either Starks, Randuins or GA. After that, get whatever you didnt get from tht list. Maybe a phantom dancer if you feel sassy.

This way you can:
Soak up alot of damage, while staying alive enough to make the enemies think: Shiiiiit, incoming spinning machine, 12 o' clock!
Dish out a lot of damage with sunfire, E, Q and an ultimate for enemies who are low.
These 2 things make you the nightmare of carries. Veigar, annie, ash, Heimer, Sivir, twitch, ryze, Ezreal, they have **** in common. They arent very durable. your E destroy's them, your Q silences them, making them useless. What the **** do you want from a champion, huh?

Stop dissing on Garen. The only thing he needs is his Ultimate fixxed, since it's still buggy.
also, haters gonna hate.

Temlam

08-14-2010

I agree with the OP. for every roll he performs another champions performs it better, BUT he can perform all of those rolls decently.

He can be support, off-tank, or melee dps.

Theres plenty better support, cho gath makes for a better off tank, and yi makes for a better similar dps champion. But, garen can depending on his team and the enemy team decide to go any of these ways. That is what makes him powerful above the rest.

SinDur

08-14-2010

Quote:
Matuk:
A lot of *early* game damage. And yet his passive tries to get you to play passively and farm to reach late game.

Very contradictory abilities, don't you think?

The no mana is a plus, yes. The W skill is great for taking damage, both passive and active. But he can't do ANYTHING to incite the other team to attack him. Not a **** thing. No taunt, no AOE disable. The only disable he DOES have, is a ****ty little melee-range silence. It helps, yes. It does. But there's better disables. A lot of them.

I have to wonder what Garen can actually DO for a team, besides soak damage if the other team is stupid and focuses him, and silence for a short duration on a single target. I don't like to play a champ hoping that the other team is stupid. That's a very poor strategy.
He's extremely lackluster, and frankly I'd rather have ANY of the other tanks or melee dps in the game on my team, in Garen's place.
You can't say that Garen is just an "anti-carry" because that's what a tank DOES. He counters the carries. Tanks are anti-carries. And Garen sucks as a tank.

If I want a tank, I call on Amumu, Cho'gath, Galio, Shen, Rammus, Alistar. Hell, even Mundo would be a better tank.
If I want melee dps, I'll call on Master Yi, Xin Zhao, Pantheon, Gangplank, Shaco (who is more gank/burst than DPS), Kat (again, more gank/burst), or any of the other hard-to-kill melee types: Mord and Mundo, for example.

The way you make people hit you as Garen (and this is how I do it) is to initiate with Desicive strike. It makes it look like you're pulling away from your team. As soon as you see the entire enemy team obviously throwing everything on you, hit W. You will survive everything they throw at you, but be at around half to a quarter health, enough to spin away into your team so now they all have cd's and your team can mop up.

It's very situational, but it's worked more times than not for me in the past.