Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riven Vs Jax (Solo lane duel)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Farstride

05-02-2012

Vs Jax, I'm having a really hard time trading blows that don't end in my health blowing up.
I know he's beatable, but it's really really hard. So I'm asking for some feedback and tips on how to approach beating him.

Here's my play style and what I've tried up to now:
Quoting it so it's not a huge wall of text.

Quote:
I play a heavy AD based Riven with a little bit of armor.
As in all-in with the runes and some protection talents.
I always start with boots and three pots.
I find the speed I gain is critical to making the harrass work without trading even vs champions.

Usually, I rely on my shield in order to harass.
Jax dgaf about that shield

Opening up with broken wings to close the distance and landing it for the stun + hit + stun + hit + valor away dosn't work since he spins and then leaps on me and noms my face off while I'm on CD. The protection on valor would still get me preggers from jax.

So I decided to try and get some distance from his leap, and make the attack too short for him to make use of spin efficiently.
Opening up with valor in + hit stops right after the hit in since he'll stun me, and continue to nom my face off. :[

The best bet I've found is opening up with valor in + Stun instead of auto attack + Hit + broken wing out asap. Low damage, but I judge the distance I can get from broken wings is worth the loss of damage.
It works okish against a third of jax players that will mash their spin button, and then realize I'm running away and catch up.

But vs players that keep it calm, jump on me retreating, stun and spin can pretty much make my entire harrass plan pointless.
And half the time they trade 1/8 of their health for 1/2 of mine. :/

If I can make it out of range with BW, all is good. There were a few jax players that I could escape from them with BW. Not the majority, so We'll assume the worst case, the jax knows how to use his abilities, and how to leap at me after I BW ran.

1 on 1 with jax, even putting 100% of my damage output, I can't face him. He will win any extchange, even if I have higher CS and 1-2 kills in items. After 3 kills above him he starts to get easier to deal with. But that dosn't happen too often.

At level 6, I use the same burn-ground tactic that I use vs gangplank.
Use the ult before abilities, and hammer him down with that as harrass, not for a kill.
It's worked moderatly, but a good jax is still able to trade off about 10% better then I can, and in a committed fight, that 10% is the difference between him standing alive with 50 health and me dead. :/

I HAVE tried just ignoring him, and running anytime he gets agressive, focusing on CS instead.
It usually ends with me out of lane, but alive at least.
Sometimes I overstay my welcome, and jax players can smell first blood from a mile away.

Suggestions for alternate playstyles/runes/items?
I tried out armor, but the difference doesn't feel noticeable, and the lack of boots makes his leap strike unavoidable.

Mambazo

05-02-2012

You should easily be able to use your mobility to avoid his stun. If he leaps at you with his dodge-stun up, just dash away before it pops, then 1-2-3 your way back in for a knockup, ki burst, and autoattack or two. That should easily win you trades.

If you are going to get hit with stun, for god's sake don't sit there plinking at him while he dodges attacks. It makes his stun do more damage, each time he dodges something with it.

GrayDeath666

05-14-2012

Get your boots and pots first then get one of the armor items that builds into to thornmail you keep your mobility when he has fewer options and about the time you get the armor is when he is starting to get fustrating, it helps you trade better and builds into thormail later.

Boomstick II

05-14-2012

You could try replacing your flat AD seals with armor seals. Would you rather have an extra 13 armor or 4 AD? Personally, I prefer the armor .

Also, move towards him like you're going to attack (like Q towards him, or dash towards him) and as soon as he uses his stun skill, just back off. He's limited by mana and you're not, so eventually he won't have enough mana to trade at all, which is when you can start beating him down.

One last thing, if you're mostly just concerned about winning trades then you could just hit him with your stun (ki burst) and then move away while he's stunned (preferably into the bush so he can't jump to you). It won't do a lot of damage, especially not early on, but it could put you up an HP pot or two. Just be careful not to push your lane by using your skills on his minions.

HonorableGeneral

05-14-2012

Quote:
GrayDeath666:
Get your boots and pots first then get one of the armor items that builds into to thornmail you keep your mobility when he has fewer options and about the time you get the armor is when he is starting to get fustrating, it helps you trade better and builds into thormail later.

Thornmail is a garbage item against Jax, mainly because his Leap Strike, Empower, and his 3rd-proc ult make him do just as much magic damage as physical damage. Whenever I see someone itemize against me like that, I lean a bit more on AP items so I can pop my ult whenever I duel them and absorb all their Thornmail damage without any second thoughts (also, building AP reduces my AD, making Thornmail less effective).

If you're having issues with Jax, OP, try letting him push lane. Coming from someone who mains Jax, Riven is a very annoying champion to lane against because it's impossible to dodge her spell combo and IF she knows how to play lane she will dominate you.

What I mean by that is that if you play against Jax as you would against someone like Olaf (harass a lot to deny him farm) then you will lose as all Jax has to do is let you push minions to tower and farm to beat you late-game (when Riven scales off). Instead, force Jax to freeze the lane in a favorable position to you if he wants to farm (ie. freeze lane at river or freeze it near your tower). This way, if Jax is smart he'll be forced to let the lane push, giving you free farm, and if he isn't you can always bait him to tower and have your jungler finish him off.

joavnojoke

05-02-2013

xd