Fair ? I don't think so

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WildOnionVillain

05-13-2012

So, me and my buddies made a team, and everything was going smoothly. Got to about 7-2 win/loss but then something happened. We got paired up against 1650 ELO team, despite our team elo being 1249. Now, if ANYONE from riot or general public can explain how this is fair pairing up, please try to do so.

Selcopa

05-13-2012

You would gain alot of points for beating them

And not lose very much points when you lose.

You have a certain chance to win based on your respective elos, i believe just winning 1 of 5 would have been a great swing for your team.

Or are you just butthurt that you got rolled by some players better than you? Well cant help you there, matchmaking occasionally places you vs teams you are much higher than, and much lower too though. Get over it.

WildOnionVillain

05-13-2012

1. We didn't get rolled
2. We did have a chance but i don't see how the matchmaking works in any aspect by matching teams with that wide range of an elo difference.
3. I'm not butthurt lol, i am simply pointing out that team matchmaking is flawed and something needs to be done about it.
4. You did not offer an explanation for this situation so i don't see how your post is constructive or explanatory in any way.

Good day to you sir.

Selcopa

05-13-2012

Just because the matchmaking placed you against a 1650 team while you were 1250 does not mean the system is broken.

Why did it do it? I dont know the algorithm, the point is, it doesnt matter what it puts you against as long as it balances to win/loss of elo based on the range of elo between the 2 teams.

Eggroll9000

05-14-2012

If you guys were going 7-2 with the same team, it makes sense for the computer to match you up higher. If 7-2, you guys are doing great and deserve a title shot. I think the computer did you guys a service by giving you a chance to move up. If you're 1200 and they're 1600, if you lose, you lose almost nothing, if you win, you gain a ton. If a boxer just went 7-2, he probably deserves a shot to move up or a title shot as he's stomping n00bs in his class. This is a great feature and I hope it's intentional.

etharian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2012

of you read up on elo calculations and where it originated it makes perfect sense. lets say York team performs at a 2k elo. but you start at 1200. winning against a team around the same elo roughly nets you 20-30 more elo if you win. you would have to win almost 30 games straight that way just to get to where you belong. all the while players who aren't as skilled and deserve to be at their 1300 rating run into your team and others like it and keep getting destroyed. in turn dropping them below what their actually elo should b just based on bad luck rather than actual performance. it would b a waste of your time and discouraging to less skilled players if it was done that way. basically the system says hey. these guys just stomped their last so many games around their rating. maybe their elo isn't right and they should b higher. lets find out. and then it searches for a tougher opponent. basically you shouldn't b mad. its more like the elo system was trying to give you a compliment saying wow u guys ar doing so good we think u have a decent chance to beat someone in this elo bracket. o personally love when it does this for me. just.my opinion though

xaniix

05-14-2012

man this EXACT thing happened to my team, not just once. we were doing ranked 3's we were 1218 rating and we got paired against a 1470 team? like wtf is wrong with matchmaking, it was extremely unfair and we got smashed... twice...

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2012

Ranked teams. Probably just not enough people playing the ranked teams scene, especially in 3s.

code81

05-15-2012

okkkk

we have a ranked 5's team

w'ere all around 1500 elo

3rd game in

we got paired vs 1700's-1900s

lost it

meh

time 2 l2p better

Amatzikahni

05-15-2012

I haven't been able to do Ranked 5's much, but I'd imagine the queue pool is lower. How long did it take to enter these "unfair" matches? If you're waiting for like 4-5 minutes, then Matchmaking is having a really hard time finding anyone around your current, suggested, or whatever rating to pit you against, so it gradually lowers its restrictions as time increases. If you have to wait for over 2 minutes, drop queue, wait a minute or two, then re-queue to prevent these kinds of matches.

The same can be said for teams that are 1600: if there are no teams queueing in the rating vicinity, then they'll be waiting a while before queueing against some 1300 team which they will probably stomp or some 1900 team that will probably stomp them.