Dear Riot. Why You Dislike Soraka?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yvo

02-06-2013

Pretty sure the general idea about using starcall is the MR shred.

PROppy

Recruiter

02-07-2013

how does everyone feel about soraka now?

kirarising

02-07-2013

Seeing as the problem is lack of interactive play due to high cooldown on her w and lack of reason to harass due to her q's centered targeting wouldn't it come to reason that the most helpful changes would be:

Cut cooldown and effectiveness of her w in half, change the armor bonus to a single attack negate maybe akin to pantheons passive. This will ensure that you are not without a heal 80% of the time and that you have a choice to hold a heal and negate damage on top, or if your in a position to just heal for the sustain. This also prevents the negation of an entire attempt to assault with one heal because armor buff lasts the whole encounter but will also allow for situations where you already placed a buff and when they decide to engage you can double pop the damage by healing again for preventing the other support from just auto atacking to pop the shield.

Turn her q's target system to a ranged targeted aoe, maybe akin to a much larger aoe karthus or cass bomb. This will bring about a reason to harass without a forced push, will not remove her effectiveness at farming or damaging and will allow her a better position to q from, will also be more interesting to try and see the ques to when she will cast it allowing some kind of positioning play from the enemy.

Bringing soraka to the same but more enjoyable position in my opinion. Her e is fine, silence will forever and always be unpleasant for any champion, that's the point of cc.

Luninareph

02-07-2013

An in-depth analysis of Soraka:

Passive: Consecrate
Current Effect: Allied MR-boosting aura
Purpose: Protect allies from AP carries
Problems: Boring; often goes unnoticed throughout the game
Possible Solution: What if Consecrate's aura was a passive Hexdrinker effect? If an ally within a certain radius of Soraka takes magic damage that would drop them below 30% health, they gain a magic-damage-absorbing shield. Same purpose, much more visible effect. Also gives Soraka a warning: "Hey, this person is low, maybe you should use your heal on them!" which might be nice.

Q: Starcall
Current Effect: Damages and shreds the MR of all enemies close to Soraka
Purpose: Handles minion waves; gives Soraka something to do in teamfights; increases allies' damage; allows for perma-Rylai's slow, something people like on Soraka.
Problems: Damage is negligible at this point in time; hard to use against enemy champions due to the difficulty Soraka has surviving at short range.
Possible Solution: Let Soraka center Starcall on other allies as well as herself. Lulu can Glitterlance from someone else's position using Help, Pix!; why not let Soraka shoot Starcall from another location as well? It would help her stay back from the action, where she is safer (might need to reduce the MR shred to make up for the added safety, though).

W: Astral Blessing
Current Effect: Heals one ally and increases their Armor for a short time.
Purpose: Gradual sustain; clutch protection through massive Armor boost.
Problems: Prohibitive cooldown makes Soraka feel useless after casting; Soraka is billed as a healer, yet this spell - her main heal - is usually unusable. The armor bonus has become much less fulfilling with the S.3 changes to Armor, too. Also has the usual irritating sustain counterplay problems.
Possible Solution: Greatly reduce the cooldown and the heal amount, and completely remove the bonus armor. Cause the heal to scale with the target's percentage of missing health (preventing it from being ridiculously good on tanks). Perhaps even cause the amount healed to double if the target is below a certain threshold of health (perhaps 30%,) really encouraging Soraka to hold off on that heal until the right moment.

E: Infuse
Current Effect: When cast on an ally, restores mana. When cast on an enemy, does damage and silences.
Purpose: Used to CC AP carries and other supports in combat. Out of combat, restores your carry's mana.
Problems: These two needs rarely overlap, meaning Soraka doesn't need to make much of a choice about when to use it. In combat? Use offensively. Out of combat? Might as well use it on your carry now. Further exacerbates Soraka's sustain problems due to infinite carry mana. In my opinion, Soraka's most boring ability.
Possible Solution: Change Infuse's allied-cast effect. What if, instead of restoring mana, it temporarily reduced your ally's mana costs to 0 and gave them max CDR? It would benefit manaless champions now due to the CDR, as opposed to its current incarnation, and would allow a carry to have a few seconds of maximum ability usage. It would be a great thing to use right before a team fight - but then you wouldn't have your silence available for several seconds.
An actual decision for Soraka to make!

R: Wish
Current Effect: Instant global heal.
Purpose: Clutch heal plays from all the way across the map.
Problems: Frankly, I don't think it has any. I really like Wish.
Possible Solution: None needed.

TL;DR: My proposed Soraka rework:

Passive: Consecration
When an ally within 500 units takes magic damage that would leave them at less than 30% of their maximum health, they gain a shield that absorbs up to 100/150/200/250 + (0.25 x AP) magic damage for 5 seconds. This effect can only trigger on an ally once every 60 seconds.

Q: Starcall
Cooldown: 2.5 sec
Cost: 20/35/50/65/80 mana
Soraka summons a shower of stars to fall from the sky around herself or any of her allies within 750 units, dealing 60/85/110/135/160 + (0.4 x AP) magic damage to all enemy targets within range and reducing their MR by 4/5/6/7/8 for 5 sec. This effect stacks up to 10 times.

W: Astral Blessing
Cooldown: 7 sec
Cost: 80/110/140/170/200 mana
Soraka blesses a friendly unit, restoring 20/40/60/80/100 + (1/2/3/4/5 health per 1% health the target is missing) health. If the target is under 30% health, the amount of health restored is doubled.

E: Infuse
Cooldown: 10 sec
Cost: 0 mana
On ally cast: Allied champion receives the Astral Infusion buff, reducing all of their mana costs to 0 and granting them maximum CDR for 5 seconds.
On enemy cast: Silences the target for 1.5/1.75/2.0/2.25/2.5 sec and deals 50/100/150/200/250 + (0.6 x AP) magic damage to it.

R: Wish
Same as now.

kirarising

02-07-2013

i didn't think we were trying to completely rework soraka, i figured she needed at best shifts in her usage. and i disagree with your opinion on her passive. while indeed it is a stagnant aura sharp eyed players will pay attention to their targets magic resist or armor if they are worried about not being able to do enough damage, the only reason it seems meh on her is due to the fact most damage dealt in lane is physical, it is very strong later when preventing nukes and preventing party wipes from huge aoe ult spams, though i think the range is a little low for this last purpose. If her passive is to be changed i would appreciate it if it were instead incorporated in one of her abilities like tarics shatter and given another passive that will benefit her being active instead of your suggestion almost giving more of the same.

PatriotBob

02-07-2013

Epic thread necro...

Atik L Yar

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotBob View Post
Epic thread necro...
And? There's still plenty of discussion going on about Soraka... I say it's a relevent Necro.

PhreakInfinity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2013

I love Soraka the way she is! Buff her or nerf her as you wish, but please don't rework my Starchild.

Starshot

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvo View Post
Pretty sure the general idea about using starcall is the MR shred.
Let me know how it turns out when you're trying to shred MR with starcall in a teamfight when you're ultra squishy and have to heal/infuse. Not to mention in the current meta people are barely playing AP anymore, making MR shred a bit useless now.

I love Soraka but without fail if I ever pick her somebody on the team goes 'omg not soraka!' or I get verablly abused so bad for my pick it's not even fun to play.

I understand a forever sustain lane isn't that fun to play against, but Taric also has a great heal while being tanky and having significant burst. I know he's extra strong right now but there's something wrong with Soraka where she isn't as good as other supports. I get way more annoyed playing against something like Lulu who can poke all day, shield, speed buff etc. It's not like Soraka is the only support that's annoying to lane against.

She's not unplayable, but starcall is pretty truly useless. Hell, I don't even bother getting a rank of it unless I have to desperately clear a tower or we're so ahead that it's safe to get up close and harass with it/push the lane.

RadiantPyrophore

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS16e7c68f67142a View Post
Soraka has everything that is awful to play against, there's nothing fun about her being in the game. Doesn't help that she also has a lot of power whether used as a support or mid champion.
It's only not fun to play against as long as you insist on being ****tarded and not attacking during the ****tardedly long CDs or attacking the totally squishy and non-mobile with exactly 0 hard CC Soraka.