How to get better at League of Legends?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akanoth

04-30-2012

Ok before we start I know the most important thing I can do to get better is simple, practice. But there's always a right and a wrong way to practice and to be honest I'm not sure of the correct way to practice to get better at this game. What exactly should I be doing while I play to get better? Should I learn a lot of characters for every lane? Should I get really good at one role? How does one learn proper positioning and the right and wrong time to do certain objectives when everyone around you is just as clueless as yourself? What exactly should I be doing to get better? I think the best thing I did to get better so far was just playing ranked. Having played ranked exclusively the past couple of weeks and then returning to normal I find that the normal games are much easier than they where before I left. I used to play support only and dropped to 800 elo. At a certain point I started getting just +-13 elo per game. Once I started playing Miss Fortune again I carried myself from 800 to 1200 in two days but then I leveled out. I Fluctuate between 1250 and 1180 pretty consistently. It seems the past week I can't get any higher and I feel like I'm not getting any better no matter how much time I put into the game. Can anyone give me any pointers on what I need to be doing if I want to improve.

coffeerox

04-30-2012

Here's an easy one. If your teammate gets caught out of position, don't join the fight or try to save them. Start running away so that they don't have a chance of catching you.
If the team fight looks like you are losing, run away before your death is guaranteed.
Turn a 1v1 into 2v1 for a guaranteed kill.
Don't chase.
Buy wards.
Do not contest dragon/baron unless your entire team comes with you. If you ping and they don't respond, it's gone.

Akanoth

04-30-2012

I guess I'm going to turn in for the day, I'm going to bump this thread and hope I get at least a few more replies. Tips are fine and all but I'm really looking for a strategy that I can apply to my games that will help me improve over time. Do I have to watch streams and read guides to get better? What can I be doing proactively while I play to just get better at the game as a whole. I'm consciously working on my map awareness, and I'm slowly getting better about warding. I know all the items and feel comfortable building around a character depending on the situation, supposing I know the character well enough that is. But is there anything else that I can be doing while I play to benefit my skills as a whole or will it just come with time no matter how I play the game?

Below

07-11-2012

One great way to win is to suck my ****. my **** has great powers and it grants you IMMORTALITY