Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Champ Concept] Shanks, the Karmic Bandit

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Script Lord

04-28-2012

“I ain’t never killed a man that didn’t have it comin’ to ‘im! Now, would ya be willin’ to show me that li’l doo-dad of yers?”

Lore:
You could call him a liar and he would honestly agree. You could call him a cheater and he would explain the manner in which he may have scammed you, or others. You could even call him a no-good thief and he would merely smile deviously, wink, and thank you for whatever possessions he may have taken from you. But never call him a murderer. Though he has stolen countless things, conned countless people, and even spoken a myriad of half-truths, he has ultimately only ever killed in self-defense – and even then only ended the lives of those who deserved it.

Carl Shanks was born in the city of Bildgewater, but unlike most others who call it their birthplace he never had any interest in piracy or even sailing on the open waters. He had to struggle to survive, true, cheating and stealing in order to stay alive, but his moral upbringing, from his well-mannered single mother, kept him from seriously injuring others without appropriate reason. Later in his life he eventually found himself involved with rather shady businesses, unwittingly becoming part of an underground Black Market which obtained the rarest things in the world and sold them at high prices – his job was to obtain these no matter what and deliver them to those who requested them.

And this is how he came to one day encounter a traveling stranger possessing a mystical dagger said to be able to bring its owner great wealth. He approached the cloaked man, unaware of why he was trying to be inconspicuous, and challenged him to prove the blade’s power. The man merely questioned him as to how, to which Shanks propose he allow him to see for himself if it could indeed bring the wealth it promised. The stranger warned him to return it to him there before he left at sundown, lest he be punished severely for his bad Karma. The moment he had it in his hand, however, Shanks intended nothing more than to keep it for himself, not even considering handing over to his employers. This proved to be his folly, however, as when he failed to return the dagger to its owner he quickly came to discover that he had become a slave to Karma – being severely punished for his misdeeds. Now wanting to be free of this Karma, and knowing that the only way to do that is to return Pluton to its owner, he joined the League of Legends in order to find the cloaked man….

Appearance and Personality:
Shanks is a rather thin, lanky young man appearing to be in his late teens. He has medium-long brown hair with a thin, shaggy goatee to match, and his skin is slightly tanned from his long days of running amok in Bildgewater. His wardrobe of choice consists of a hooded vest-like garment navy-blue in color, a long sleeved black turtleneck sweater, dark brown leather fingerless gloves, black trousers, and dark brown leather knee-length boots with a large buckle. He also has a leather single-strap pack which crosses from his left shoulder to his right side waist, within which he keeps whatever objects he acquires; hooked across the front of the strap are a few luck-bringing items such as a four-leaved clover, a horshoe, and a rabbit's foot. He is a rather smooth-talking, if a bit paranoid, opportunist who will lie, cheat, steal, and flirt to get what he wants. Though he is a thief, a con man, and a general ne'er do well, he actually does have a moral code by which he lives, though he's generally a very pleasant and friendly guy when you talk to him. Be forewarned, however, because he believes in self-preservation at any cost, even violating his rather particular "no killing" rule if it means survival.

Type: Melee, support, ???
Attack range: 125
Attack speed: 0.645 (+0.335 per level)
Damage: 41.5 (+42.3 per level)
Health: 415 (+40 per level)
Mana: 100 (+50 at Lvl 9 and 18)
Move speed: 320
Armor: 16.5 (+0.25 per level)
Spell block: 30 (+1.25 per level)
Health regen: 1.36 (+0.27 per level)
Mana regen: 0 (+0 per level)

Abilities:

(Passive) No Pain No Gain - Shanks profits off of the misery of himself and others, he earns an additional 6 gold for every basic attack he makes and earns Karma equal to 7.77% of any damage he receives.

[Q] Lucky Charm - Shanks is a very superstitious fellow, and so he carries a wide assortment of things meant to bring their owners luck, reducing the critical damage and attack speed of enemies that attack them by 6/12/18/21/24% for 7 seconds. Half of the Karma spent is refunded if used on allies.

"I'm feelin' lucky!" (Self)/ "Need some luck?" (Ally)

Cost: 10/14/18/22/26 Karma
Range: Immediate self-cast or 200 (allies)
Cooldown: 3/2.5/2/1.5/1 seconds

[W] Sanskara - Shanks conjures up a large self-sustaining ring at a location which increases the amount of all damage dealt by himself and his allies within its radius by a fraction of their missing health (Individual attacks, abilities, and spells deal an additional 0.25 damage for every 1 health missing. This applies to each friendly champion acting within the ring). Lasts for 4/4.5/5/5.5/6 seconds.

"Pain can be a good motivatah!"

Cost: 12/24/48/60/72 Karma
Range: 550
Cooldown: 12/10/8/6/4 seconds

[E] Samsara - Shanks visualizes a serene field before him which flips the natures of damage dealt and received for 3/3.5/4/4.5/5 seconds, within this radius he and his allies will replenish health by a percentage of intended damage (15%) while opponents attempting to heal will take damage instead (20%).

"Be at peace, or know true pain!"

Cost: 13/26/39/52/65 Karma
Range: 600
Cooldown: 7/6.5/6/5.5/5 seconds

[R] Nirvana - Shanks finally gets the chance turn his built up Karma on his opponents, gaining an aura that reflects 54/108/216% of any damage he receives back at any/all opponents attacking him for 7 seconds. Afterward, however, he will be stunned for 4 seconds in addition to having his current health reduced by half.

"What goes 'round comes 'round!" (Afterward) "URK! The pain...."

Cost: All Karma
Range: 1
Cooldown: 93/62/31 seconds

Recommended Items:
Boots of Swiftness
Frozen Mallet
Guardian Angel
Sunfire Cape
Phantom Dancer
Spirit Visage

Quotes:

"Well, I guess if ya want me to help...." (Selection)

"I can get there in a jiffy!" (Movement)

"There? Sure!" (Movement)

"Quick-an'-efficient is my middle name!" (Movement)

"Yeah, yeah, heard ya the firs' time!" (Movement)

"No time to waste!" (Movement)

"I'd like to see ya move faster, 'Mastah'..." (Movement)

"Ya need money, huh?" (Attack)

"This should be good Karma....right?" (Attack)

"Don't get me wrong, I jus' love money." (Attack)

"They'll be revived if I kill 'em, right...?" (Attack)

"Slashy-slash-slash-slash, heheheheheh..." (Attack)

"Pluton is the lord of untold riches!" (Joke)

"If what they say 'bout guys with big swords is true..." (Joke)

"Ya can't catch me that easily!" (Taunt)

"Karma's a part of everyone's life.!" (Taunt)

"Ya jus' got - SHANKED!" (Champ kill)

"Yer Karma's worse than mine!" (Champ kill)

"So much for Lady Luck's!" (Twisted Fate kill)

"NO-NO-NO-NO-NO.....!" (Death)

Animations:

Auto attack - He swipes Pluton, backhand, in an angled arc

Critical hit - He does a short hop and then brings Pluton down overhead

Standing idle - He stands with his legs spread wide, occasionally tossing Pluton up in the air then catching it expertly in his hand

Taunt - He wags Pluton side to side condescendingly

Joke - He holds up Pluton and examines it for a moment.

Dance - He performs the initial part of the Mexican Hat Dance (First 15 seconds of this vid, he does the male part (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mru5qKHEss))

Death - He drops to his knees and fumbles Pluton, erratically tries to catch it, but ultimate falls forward and is stabbed in the gut by it

Note: Shanks is a pretty fast champion but not really the fastest out there. He could be the fastest thing ever if you want him to be purely speed, but his whole point is in being able to affect those around him whether they're allies or opponents. In all honesty, for his Q I had two different ideas (the one given and another called Bluff which would also be affected by how much Karma he has, but instead just affects the attack speed of his allies and opponents).

And unlike my previous entry, this guy is completely up for serious changes in order to make him work. So I completely welcome any critiques or suggestions for balancing him better than I have tried!

Edit (5/5/12): I've completely re-tooled his abilities. It didn't seem right for a bandit to have an ability to pay an opponent off to do nothing. Also changed some ability names, created a new one which buffs attack in exchange for vitality, and reduced some of the pre-set time durations.

Edit (5/9/12): I've reduced percentages and values for his abilities, reduced the amount of gold earned from his passive, and fixed his attack range. I also tweaked some of his base stats

Just Tyrant

04-28-2012

Nah

Script Lord

04-28-2012

Bump

djmginger

04-29-2012

If you mean that he gains 21 gold for every autoattack then that's a nerf on that, but if you mean abilities then that's fine. karma cap of 200. When he attacks the enemy he gains 4% of damage as karma. Any ideas of what he looks like? From all his abilities and lore it kinda sounds like he'd look something like a twisted fate meets graves kinda guy.

Script Lord

04-29-2012

Okay, so I took into consideration your advise to nerf (yes, it's autoattacks) and I changed it to what I believe is a more viable amount. Also, instead of going with 4% damage into Karma, I went with 7% (only 3 more). Other than those two things, and disregarding the cap change (if I increased it then it would take forever for him to get enough to make any difference without upping the damage conversion), is there anything else you'd suggest?

Yeah, kinda. But not really. I didn't base him on either of those two (though I play them quite a bit more than the other champs I have), and he has his own style to him (instead of being just a con or a gambler of sorts). I definitely imagine him with a goatee, though - very short, slightly shaggy. Also, the voice in my head for him is a rather raspy high pitch (he's still rather young, not even past his teens if that is viable).

Script Lord

04-29-2012

Bump

Script Lord

04-29-2012

Bump

Script Lord

04-29-2012

Need criticism

Script Lord

04-29-2012

Be honest, is anyone even reading this? Or is the character just that great?

I'm sure Shanks will be pleased if it turns out that he is well enough to be seriously considered a potential champion.

Firesofiso

04-29-2012

Quote:
[W] Lucky Charm - Shanks is a very superstitious fellow, and so he carries a wide assortment of things meant to bring their owners luck, negating the critical rate and attack speed of enemies that attack them by 21% for 3/4/5/6/7 seconds. Half of the Karma spent is refunded if used on allies.

"Lucky, lucky!"

Cost: 10/14/18/22/26 Karma
Range: 50 (self) or 200 (allies)
Cooldown: 12/10/8/6/4 seconds

I don't understand the range part.... why would he need 50 range to cast it on himself?

Overall this sounds like a pretty cool champ. [E] Reversal of Fortune is an aura right?

I do however think his gold passive is kind of OP. What is stopping people from getting attack speed and build a bunch of gold for later purchases. Three hits gets you more gold then killing a minion. I guess it kind of makes sense with his q but I still think its a little much.