Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[MiniGuide] Strategy Craft

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HereticalCrab

10-25-2009

The point of this guide is to give players an overall understanding of strategy in LoL. Not item builds and spell builds for specific characters but a rule of thumb type guide on what to do in certain situations and how to properly go about creating a general strategy when in game. If your lazy and this is tl;dr than reading the considerations and final thoughts portions of the guide may be what you want to do. I'm not a top ELO player but seven plus years of dota and this game have taught me a lot.

Please leave constructive critism if there is something you think I mis spoke on or something not covered please reply and explain yourself. If I think it fits I'll edit and add it on.

1.) Analyze (discovering their weakness): In other words watch how the other players are playing their heroes and adept your playstyle accordingly

Some Considerations: Who is playing conservative (ie more apt to run than fight), who is playing aggressively? What ability builds are the heroes going, what kind of item/skill build would be a good counter (I see this question being neglected alot, its not always best to do what you've always done. The build that won you the game last night may not win you the game tonight)? Who's weak and can be easily killed in a group fight? Which hero is more apt to die from your abilities than the others (ie if your ryze and you have a choice between someone with magic resist and someone without than the choice for hitting someone with your ult should be obvious)

Rules to live by: Assume that no one else is going to buy wards against stealth heroes, so this means buy the wards yourself and lane wherever the stealth heroes are. If they did it once and it worked they will likely do it again. If they did it once and it didn't work, they may very well try try again. If you can only see one of their heroes assume that there is a trap being setup somewhere. Kill the weak, hurdle the dead. The larger they are....the harder they are to kill. Madreds Razors are great against high health heroes, Banshees Veils are great against high magic heroes.

2.) Beam Me Up(when to port): This like so many topics in this guide is a rather hard one to nail down. Essentially when should you be porting back to base?

Considerations: Who is laning against me? How far towards either tower is the creep wave? Can the hero destroy creep waves fast (ie if you have an anivia in the lane who can wipe out creep waves fast you may want to reconsider going back, as long as you think you have a chance at surviving and preventing her from pushing)?

Rules to live by: Don't leave the lane empty unless you absolutely must. Fortify is your friend. Remeber to use grass to conceal the fact that you are porting, but remember that people can tend to look there first so be prepared. Take turns porting and shopping with your lane mate. COMMUNICATE.

Final Thoughts: Remember, if you die and they push the tower than its doubly worse than if you had just ported and they had grabbed the tower, BUT if you can kill the other hero and sacrifice yourself and the lane will be at a stalemate than all the better. Remember if your purple you are at a disadvantage (at least I haven't seen them fix the blue advantage in the patch notes, corrrect me if I'm wrong here), and yes blue does have an advantage the devs admitted as much in a forum post. I'm not sure on the details but it has something to do with the creeps being a little better at pushing the lanes on their own, so make sure you consider this when choosing whether to port or not.

3.) Should I Stay or Should I Go (when to back out): Learning when to get the eff out is important, but learning when to keep pushing that lane is even more important

Some Considerations: Do you have forts? Are they up? What level heroes does the other team have? What level heroes do you have? Are your teammates gonna play conservatively and let the tower die or are they gonna not let that happen? Does the other team have heavy health/armor tanks who will push past the tower and try to kill everyone?

Now in a normal game you should be making these considerations on a minute by minute basis and essentially watching the other teams strat unfold, like noticing the heroes that overextend themselves (ie push past towers when they shouldn't etc), which heroes are more apt to run than fight, who's under leveled and so on.

Rules to live by: Fortify is your friend (I think this room has an echo). You don't ALWAYS have to port back to defend a tower, sometimes three/four heroes can hold back five. Towers won't start shooting you until they've shot all the creeps in a creep wave, use this to your advantage (UNLESS you hit a hero in which case they will focus fire you). Pushing past a tower to kill a hero is NEVER the BEST course of action, it CAN be a VIABLE one though.

4.) Mind Games (Don't meet their expectations): This topic is a little less clear cut than the others (which were already not very clear cut). Mind games essentially is about expectations.

Considerations: Where do they least expect me to be, how can I get there? Have their expectations changed based on my gameplay, if so how should I change my gameplay so that I'm no longer meeting those expectations?

Rules to live by: Learn their patterns and use them against them. If it feels risky than its probably something they won't expect. Being on the safe side when navigating through forests can often lead to being cut off and killed. When in doubt go sideways. Communicate with your team if you need help avoiding capture.

Final Thoughts: In situations where you are pushing lanes and you find that the other team is streaming out of the base to stop you, remember that pushing the other lanes is almost always better than retreating to your nearest tower. Keeping pressure on them and setting the pace for the game is important for victory.

5.) Oh Captain, My Captain...(proper leadership): Remember first rule of LoL is this is a team game. You can't win single handedly, you'll need your team to help you.

Considerations: Is there someone on my team who is obviously better than me? Should we default to him for leadership? Do I know what to do against the team/strat that we are playing against? Is my team doing what they should be, how can I help them get better?

Rules to live by: If there is no one leading that means your the leader. Lead by example. No one likes a dick, so don't be one. Yelling at people telling them how bad they are never got anyone anywhere. Be able to explain plans to your team clearly and concisely. Don't expect everyone to listen to you. Use the in game chat channel Looking For Group to find yourself a premade. Download Ventrilo and get on the public LoL server in order to better coordinate, even if you don't have a mic at least you can hear what other people are saying.

Final Thoughts: Often times the reason games are lost is not because "my team sucked" but because no one was telling them what they should be doing. If your up against tanks and people should be getting madreds razors but they aren't than maybe you should say something. However not everyone responds well to having someone suggest items and strats to counter the other team, some people will just do what they want. Its unfortunate but thats life. No one likes a dick, so don't be one when your trying to be the captain. When they do what you wanted them to and they are taking down towers and killing heroes it never hurts to give them a "gj". Lead by example.

6.) Push It!: If the first rule of League of Legends is "This is a team game." then certainly the second rule of this game is "Kills does not equal victory." This rule was certainly true for Defense of the Ancients (the warcraft 3 mod that this game is based on) and it remains true for LoL as well. Pushing lanes and downing towers is very important to winning.

Considerations: Is my base safe, if not do I need to port back or will my team handle it, if I do port will I get there in time to save the tower, can my time be better spent taking down one of their towers? If there is a large fight going on somewhere you may have to ask yourself if your team is better served by you being there to help in the fight or pushing a lane and whether or not you would be able to make it in time to help at all.

Rules to Live By: If you can't make it to the fight in time to be of any help just keep pushing the lane (this is only true if its not a fight over one of your towers). If you can trade one of your towers for two of theirs do it. Lane towers are worth less than base towers, keep this in mind when making decisions about retreating to defend towers. If the other team is distracted fighting your team somewhere far away on the other side of the map now is the perfect time to push a lane. Always know what spells the other team has, if they have fortifies its going to make it harder to push and take down that tower and this can influence decision making about backing out and defending your towers.

Final Thoughts: Knowing when to push lanes is difficult to teach, there are no sure fire rules. However there are obvious situations in which you might find yourself in which pushing is really a good idea. Example: None of the towers are down yet, your team is on the far side of the map fighting with the other team on the top lane, your on the bottom lane pushing. What do you do? Push. You will most likely not make it in time to help your team mates and taking down that tower would be a better use of your time.

Often times you will find yourself playing chicken with the other team when both your team and the other team are pushing lanes, this is where your analysis of the other team will come in handy. Knowing what heroes they have and what spells they are using is going to come in handy. Knowing whether or not they have fortify will be invaluable and should aid you in making split second decisions. Often you can get the other team to back off from their lane push by simply pushing down their own lanes, be careful though. I've often seen teams lose games because they lost track of the other teams heroes somewhere in the forests whilst doing this and they wheren't prepared for the inevitable gank.

Edit: Fixed numbering, Reworked guide so that its not as much of a "wall of text"

Ponies Gonna Pwn

Recruiter

10-25-2009

Numbered 1, 3, 2, 3, and 4. Logical.

Lollerman

10-25-2009

Is it a coincidence that all the player psychology guides are written by summoners who have "heretic" somewhere in their names?

Ferisar

10-25-2009

Quote:
lollerman:
is it a coincidence that all the player psychology guides are written by summoners who have "heretic" somewhere in their names?

death to the false emperor

Uthgar

Recruiter

10-26-2009

It is better to die serving the Emperor than to live for oneself!

Asvarduil

10-26-2009

Very good guide! I think it could stand to be a little bit less wordy - it is something of a wall of text.

Otherwise, this is deserving of a sticky. You just don't see guides like this very often - on any game's forums.

Jothki

10-26-2009

One thing that I'd like to see more talked about is when and how much to commit to a battle. Soloing in the late game is liable to get you killed, and often your team will need your support to pull through a battle. On the other hand, if your enemy is attacking your base with all five people, and you're defending with four and attacking their base with one, all other factors being equal only one of the bases is going to get raped, and it isn't yours.

Huge battles can often be good distractions for a push, since enemies in the battle will have a hard time pulling out to defend. Similarly, a push with three people often seems to end sooner than a push with one or two people, since the enemy will feel more threatened and devote more resources to stopping you. At what point should you draw the line on being aggressive?

Vantic

Recruiter

10-29-2009

Nice guide. I think there should be a thread the points out more visibly, "No one likes a Dick!".

v

HereticalCrab

10-29-2009

Edited some more, I keep finding more and more stuff to add as I keep playing games. Things I didn't think to add the first time around but I realize I've become accustomed to thinking about whilst in game. Keep the feedback coming.

pie tastes good

08-29-2010

true pushing lanes is the full azpect but what about killing an enemy hero doing that you will get rewards
and valubale xp and time but don't get carried away!