A Guide To Tribunal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Byerley

Senior Member

06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
Just as predicted, insulting devoid of coherent arguments.
I called your argument stupid, but believe what you want.

Quote:
Considering how much content has been included, and how much more content can be added, you can expect this thread up and open for a VERY long time.
I count at least half a dozen "bumps" already that readily admit no new content was added.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

Senior Member

06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Violet View Post
I count at least half a dozen "bumps" already that readily admit no new content was added.
According to the forum rules, bumping is allowed for this particular thread because each bump is for the reply to an issue, which is the perpetual updating and correction of the Tribunal system as well as the answering of questions that players will perpetually ask about Tribunal.

Without bumping, the reminder about changing the level requirement from 20 to 30 after the recent Tribunal system update might have been overlooked longer than it was.

The majority of posts have been additive to the purpose of the thread, or resulted in discussion, or have featured opinions. Unless that changes and as long as the content of the original post remains acceptable by Riot forum moderators, then bumping this thread will never cause it to be closed.

In fact, the more time this thread remains up, the more views it gets, and the more complete the guide becomes, the more likely it will be sticky'd, making bumps unnecessary.

I have already made it open for Riot staff and everyone else to contribute. You yourself have contributed by making half arguments that players might get confused about. I used your contribution to further clarify some of the ideas addressed in the original post.

For that at least, I say thank you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ulanopo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-03-2012

I'm just waiting for SV to start claiming that you and I are the same person.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ulanopo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-03-2012

Quote:
VI. WHAT IS OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE? HOW CAN SUMMONER NAMES BE OFFENSIVE?

Offensive language is language that make others uncomfortable or evokes a negative response in others.
It might be better to define offensive language as follows:

Offensive language is any speech that, by your definitions, is intended to attack or insult the listener or reader that you believe merits some form of punishment. The context and intent of the speech is as important as the words that compose it. The Tribunal guidelines obligate you to consider potentially mitigating factors, such as provocation or brief loss of control. It is never acceptable to simply look for specific words and phrases; You have to ascertain, using your common sense, the purpose and mindset of the speaker.

Quote:
This sort of language is often in the form of slurs that dehumanize people based on gender, ethnicity, color, disability, disease, or sexual orientation.
I would point out that any language can be offensive, if that is the intent.

Quote:
References to lewd behavior or reproductive organs also fall into the category of offensive language.
I would change this to "organs can also".

Quote:
Summoner names can be offensive by including such language in them.
You might want to explain that a summoner name can be offensive even if the reviewer is not themselves offended by the name, if the likely intent is to be offensive.

Quote:
If you find an unusual or unfamiliar word in a case and you suspect it might be offensive but are not sure, you can try opening a new tab on your browser to do an internet search on that word. It might help to cross reference with the terms "offensive language" or "offensive slang".
Nuh-uh. This is bad. The point of the Tribunal is not to see what random people on the internet think is offensive. It is to see what you, as a member of the community, find offensive.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

Senior Member

06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulanopo View Post
It might be better to define offensive language as follows:

Offensive language is any speech that, by your definitions, is intended to attack or insult the listener or reader that you believe merits some form of punishment. The context and intent of the speech is as important as the words that compose it. The Tribunal guidelines obligate you to consider potentially mitigating factors, such as provocation or brief loss of control. It is never acceptable to simply look for specific words and phrases; You have to ascertain, using your common sense, the purpose and mindset of the speaker.
Specific words or phrases can be offensive regardless of the context. This is at least one aspect that separates Offensive Language from Verbal Abuse. If we allow these words in any context other than to explain what they mean or why they are offensive, then the possibility of people using them more often increases exponentially and the complaints will increase exponentially as well.

It's the reason why you'll never see a smart politician use certain words in public, even in jest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulanopo View Post
I
I would change this to "organs can also".
Re-worded but not with "can". Added the word "disgusting". Added "In addition, jokes that refer to lewd behavior or reproductive organs are not funny to everyone and can offend/disgust others.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulanopo View Post
You might want to explain that a summoner name can be offensive even if the reviewer is not themselves offended by the name, if the likely intent is to be offensive.
Added this. Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulanopo View Post
Nuh-uh. This is bad. The point of the Tribunal is not to see what random people on the internet think is offensive. It is to see what you, as a member of the community, find offensive.
Okay. Changed that part to be more specific about references and added a hint about finding the most commonly punished words.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Byerley

Senior Member

06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
According to the forum rules, bumping is allowed for this particular thread because each bump is for the reply to an issue, which is the perpetual updating and correction of the Tribunal system as well as the answering of questions that players will perpetually ask about Tribunal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
Just bumping for now - been busy with final papers and exams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
Another bump to keep players aware that they can get a lot of questions answered here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methelod View Post
Reviving this for OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
bumping for now

I'll have to update some of the info next chance I get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
Bumping for the day.
Don't do this and I won't have anything to complain about. If Riot thought the information needed a medium, they'd sticky your post. Though I can't imagine why they would when http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/en/faq/ and http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/en/ cover all the relevant information in a much more professional way. The second one in particular, you see fit not to even link, but rather supplant with your own rubbish advice that would lead to auto-punishing if anyone was daft enough to follow it.

What's your punish rate these days? Up around 90%?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Byerley

Senior Member

06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulanopo View Post
I'm just waiting for SV to start claiming that you and I are the same person.
Lol? You've been self-righteous lately, but never this bad.

What's more you're fundamentally at odds on some very basic issues. I'd ask you why you haven't made a point of things like JohnnyOmega's ridiculous advocation of a strict interpretation of the Summoner's Code, but your integrity has always been inversely proportional to how self-righteous you're feeling; sooooo.... I guess I'm not really surprised.

What's more, I couldn't care less. When you're used to so many ignorant authority-phile spewing the same bad arguments at you repeatedly, it really doesn't matter if a couple of them are the same person.

Edit. OH! I almost forgot! Why haven't you called him a sociopath yet for his dribble about guilt?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Methelod

Senior Member

06-03-2012

Hm, I wonder if Herr Troll Shrinking Violet realizes he keeps bumping this thread with his attempts to inflame arguments?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Byerley

Senior Member

06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methelod View Post
Hm, I wonder if Herr Troll Shrinking Violet realizes he keeps bumping this thread with his attempts to inflame arguments?
I've also pointed out several ways to make the "guide" better. What's your point?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ulanopo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOmega View Post
Okay. Changed that part to be more specific about references and added a hint about finding the most commonly punished words.
I was coolly positive on this little project until you added this part. The Tribunal isn't a modern-day Turning machine where the pearl-clutchers get the vapors over some words that they don't like. Context and intent are just as important as the words themselves.

Let's say that our jungler is staying in the jungle too long and I say to him, "Hey, we're getting murdered in these 5v4's. Could you stop d*cking around?" According to you, a juror should just vote to punish because I used a word on your forbidden list. What happens if I tell someone to "get the sand out of their vagoo" and stop spamming surrender votes? I just referenced someone's lady bits, do I deserve an auto-punish? Yes, there are some words and phrases that I would encourage people to not use in public, but your list is needlessly long.

The whole point of Tribunal is for you to read over the case and decide whether or not you think that the person deliberately spoiled another player's experience. Stop advocating using someone else's criteria.