How many champions are in the League of Legends?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trolosaurus

04-27-2012

I HIGHLY doubt that there are only 90-some champions in the League of Legends. A Red said that nobody has ever left the League and it has been around for 20 years, yet most of the champions aren't even in their 50's. So here is my hypothesis. There is a minor and a major league in the League. The minor league is full of hundreds of other guys we never hear about. The majors are for the people that we get to play as, like Garen. My assumption is that when a new champion is announced it is the champion moving up from the minor league to the major league. This is just a hypothesis, nothing more, but it does help to solve this plothole.

Jaykoboy

04-27-2012

The League has been around for 20+ years, but the 'fighting to resolve conflicts' part hasn't. That was instituted by, well, the institute, so that it's not just 'Oh, lookie here, we're three OP Summoners, and if you don't do what we want as 'peacekeepers' we'll destroy you.' No, they did that for about ten years, and then went 'oh, how about we let them send champions to fight for them in non-lethal-ish combat? A lot easier, and I do say, more entertaining.'

That's how I've always seen it.

BraveryBeyond

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolosaurus View Post
I HIGHLY doubt that there are only 90-some champions in the League of Legends. A Red said that nobody has ever left the League and it has been around for 20 years, yet most of the champions aren't even in their 50's. So here is my hypothesis. There is a minor and a major league in the League. The minor league is full of hundreds of other guys we never hear about. The majors are for the people that we get to play as, like Garen. My assumption is that when a new champion is announced it is the champion moving up from the minor league to the major league. This is just a hypothesis, nothing more, but it does help to solve this plothole.
There are however many champions in the League as we can choose as players of the game. Time frame will always be an issue where lore is concerned. If a time line was present, Annie would be about 8 now, Nunu most likely a teenager. Then again, look at a lot of the original champions lore wise. No one knows who Jax is let alone how old he is, Kayle is already hundreds of years old, Nasus is a demi-god, Malphite is animated rock, Ryze is getting on in years, Fiddlesticks is a monstrosity, Master Yi is ageless, Taric could probably age slower than us regular humans, Soraka was a God, etc etc. I don't think time is a good guage when talking about LoL if only because champions will never age no matter how long this game goes on.

As for your theory on a minor League of Legends, it is possible. Orianna's judgement hinted at at least a training program for would-be champions with trainers and use of the fields and towers. The only seed of doubt I have in my mind would be that summoner's who are too weak to summon the champion roster are used to summon minions, so I'm not sure there would be a fully organised league of would-be champions. It's possible, just not probable with how Riot has set up the lore.

Trolosaurus

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveryBeyond View Post
Master Yi is ageless.
Sorry, that's his old lore only. He's just some normal d00d now.