Playing as AP mid, should I invest points in that +3 AD Mastery instead of the +3 AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2012

Playing as Orianna and Viktor, I've noticed I auto-attack quite a lot as part of my harass. With Viktor, it's Q and then zap them a few times.

With Orianna, I just do it after getting poked thanks, because it's the only way I can keep even with my opponent after they poke me with their superior range. Or I AA the opponent whenever I get a chance to, fingers on my E.

For both champions, I use the same masteries, namely 9/21/0.

In my offensive mastery I get 1-improved Summoner spells, 1 AP mastery, 2 damage to minion masteries, then the 4 CD masteries and the 10% Mpen mastery.

But I've been thinking of changing my mastery around, removing one AP and the two points of damage to minion mastery and investing all three points into AD(+3 AD total).

So my question is...does that bit of AP(1-3) mean all that much to an AP mage?

What's better for Orianna and Viktor?

1 AP and 4 extra damage to minions?

or

3 AD? (which means 3 extra damage to minions right? With 3 extra damage to the enemy AP for my AA)

James3125

04-27-2012

The extra AD is more worthwhile in my experience as it makes last hitting a little bit easier, however if you're playing someone like Karthus who doesn't even use his auto attack much you're probably better off grabbing the AP

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-27-2012

Probably. 1 AD = 40gold worth. 1 AP = 20 gold worth. Only getting 1 AP for that mastery is a slap in the face as it really ought to be 2AP, which would make it about the average gold value per mastery point which is around 40ish.

Aikimiller

04-27-2012

+3 ad certainly helps with last hitting too.

Hughes De Payens

04-27-2012

Yep, I've noticed the same thing. The AD is worth more and does help with last hitting which is awesome.

Directw

04-27-2012

I would say it depends on what champion you are using. For some champions that has low mana use, like fid's dark wind, or have the ability to regain mana, like annie and karth. For those champions, I would get the +3 AP instead of the +3 AD. Others probably get the AD for easier last hitting

Spiral Shark

04-27-2012

I vote no, it's not that hard to get a hang on when to last hit to get the gold, and that +3 AD quickly loses any effect. However low the AP masteries are, they still offer something lategame.

Amatzikahni

04-27-2012

The only AP I get +3 AD on is Ryze who doesn't really use AP just because it's easier to get last hits. For everyone else, the AP adds to their damage output during harass and during fights. On Ori and Vik, I would go 21/0/9 or 15/0/15 instead of x/21/x since the AP role tends to try and kill people, not tank. And as said, once you get used to last hitting, you really won't be missing any CS by ditching the AD so its only usefulness is before level 3 during autoattack harass wars which happen quite infrequently from my experience.